What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2014 UCLA @ Colorado Basketball Game thread

XJ hasn't been playing with any confidence all year. Stalzer is just bad. He shouldn't be getting any playing time even with Spencer out.

6 points from Jhop, wes & XJ. Had talton hit both his FTs, he would have had 6 as well. You cant win with production like that from those 3. they all need to be in the 8-12 range.

Who's going to start in his place? Nobody else is close to ready to put up his level of production. Yeah, he was terrible tonight, but there is no one Boyle could expect would put up better numbers.

I'd sit him to prove a point. Pull your gawd damn weight or face the consequences. It's the attitude he shows lately that needs to be stopped cold.

No. Nobody on the roster can shoot except for Askia. Gordon and xj can't even make a layup In five tries

Much like how Washington adjusted with some early season injuries, I expect there to be significant improvement from the team we saw tonight and the team that finishes the season. Tad is too good of a coach, and there is still too much talent on this roster, for there not to be.

XJ hasn't been playing with any confidence all year. Stalzer is just bad. He shouldn't be getting any playing time even with Spencer out.

Yeah. It's been weird. Even when he has played well and seemed intense, he has been bobbling a lot of the passes to him when the ball swings around the perimeter. Something is off. Didn't he work out with a former UA guard over the summer to work on his ball handling? I don't see where that part of his game has improved in a noticeable way and other parts seem screwed up. Hopefully he's just in "Tiger Woods in the process of changing his swing" mode and he'll come out the other end a better player.

I'd sit him to prove a point. Pull your gawd damn weight or face the consequences. It's the attitude he shows lately that needs to be stopped cold.

This is why frank mason of the hawks started when they were here. Self sat nadir because he was playing like ****. Not sure how XJ would respond though.

6 points from three starters. We're gonna struggle. We've been exposed as 3 studs and 7 duds.

Nailed it. If booker had just shot average tonight, we would have lost by 25. And UCLA did not shoot well. But they have WAY more talent. Simple fact.

XJ is regressing. Afraid to shoot from outside. Nobody buys his awful head fake and when he gets to the rim, he's so contorted and out of position, he can't finish. XT too. Every play, he throws this weak ass head fake; the defender just stands there. I give JHop a pass; he's been put in a tough spot. He's a freshman, so hopefully something develops there. I haven't seen it all year. Those little floaters he throws up are garbage, street ball bull****.

We will win at most 3 more conference games (USC, WSU, maybe Utah at home). And those are not guarantees by any stretch. Interested to see how USC looks tonight.

If you bench XJ, you're probably looking at starting Dustin Thomas. Guess I dunno what you mean by attitude. Again, not a good game for him at all, but I definitely think he cares. Don't think I'd be looking at benching him, at this time. A loss to USC might change my mind

Much like how Washington adjusted with some early season injuries, I expect there to be significant improvement from the team we saw tonight and the team that finishes the season. Tad is too good of a coach, and there is still too much talent on this roster, for there not to be.

Tad is a great recruiter. But there have been many games where I and many of my non-CU friends have watched CU play and we reach the conclusion that he is not a great game-day coach.

I was only able to watch the second half today but I really question sitting both Ski and Scott around the 11-minute mark and then keeping Ski out when he got his third foul. Our offense came to a screeching halt and we were never able to recover.

This might not be a popular opinion around here, but Tad just hasn't proven to me he can adjust a gameplan on the fly and consistently out-coach his counterpart, whomever that may be on a certain day. I hope I'm wrong and he takes us dancing this year, but I haven't been overly impressed with his gameday moves overall.

This team is built for transition offense, I just can't see us winning many games that require half court style without Spencer's ability to get to the FT line

And can people stop talking about how we'll be OK because of the "talent" we have on this roster? Where is it? I've seen short spurts from Gordon and JHop, and 1-2 possession spurts from Thomas. But nothing to feel even optimistic about. Am I missing something? Talk me off the ledge.

Tad is a great recruiter. But there have been many games where I and many of my non-CU friends have watched CU play and we reach the conclusion that he is not a great game-day coach.

I'm not really a believer in Tad's offense, but feel the defense will be fine. And CU probably doesn't have that bad of an offensive game around the rim as they did tonight. Tad should have went back to Askia quicker though

I was only able to watch the second half today but I really question sitting both Ski and Scott around the 11-minute mark and then keeping Ski out when he got his third foul. Our offense came to a screeching halt and we were never able to recover.

This might not be a popular opinion around here, but Tad just hasn't proven to me he can adjust a gameplan on the fly and consistently out-coach his counterpart, whomever that may be on a certain day. I hope I'm wrong and he takes us dancing this year, but I haven't been overly impressed with his gameday moves overall.

May not be popular, but you're damn right!

OMG everyone... it is a loss. It is a game we could have won with better offensive execution, but UCLA wanted it more. Tad has said you play 5 games above your level, 5 below your level and the remaining, 10-15 are who your team is. This was one of our bad games. Relax, the defense was encouraging, very encouraging. UCLA is 6th in points per game and we held them near 20pts under their average. Let the boys have more than 2 practices without the heart of their team. Things will be fine.

May not be popular, but you're damn right!

Because the move to shut down Kyle Anderson with Wes wasn't a good coaching move. I see these posts after each loss... **** happens. Basketball teams lose games. Chill the hell out.

And if XJ, Gordon, and Scott make their lay-ups we are all celebrating a hard fought scrappy victory.

Last edited:
And can people stop talking about how we'll be OK because of the "talent" we have on this roster? Where is it? I've seen short spurts from Gordon and JHop, and 1-2 possession spurts from Thomas. But nothing to feel even optimistic about. Am I missing something? Talk me off the ledge.

I still think it is one of the best front courts in the conference. The young guards will sink or swim, as they have no choice but to play decent minutes now. I'm not even that optimistic, but come on UCLA is one of the top 3 teams in the Conference, and everyone is acting like CU will be lucky to win 3 more games. Just seems like overreaction to me.

Hopefully the team pulls out enough gutsy wins to make the tournament, but if they don't, I still think they're in good shape moving forward.

It's not about losing a game. We all know we're going to lose games. It's about how you look when you lose. The eyeball test. We look like a team that has exactly 2 Pac-12 level offensive players. No more. Hard to be optimistic with that.

It's not about losing a game. We all know we're going to lose games. It's about how you look when you lose. The eyeball test. We look like a team that has exactly 2 Pac-12 level offensive players. No more. Hard to be optimistic with that.

And if we don't miss like 15 layups then how do we look? It was a **** game.

If you bench XJ, you're probably looking at starting Dustin Thomas. Guess I dunno what you mean by attitude. Again, not a good game for him at all, but I definitely think he cares. Don't think I'd be looking at benching him, at this time. A loss to USC might change my mind

XJ was disinterested from the tip. It was pathetic. Numerous times he took shots you know he knew he shouldn't have taken, errant passes, and lazy defense. Myself and those around me lost it at about the 5 minute mark in the 2nd half when on two straight defensive possessions he played lazy defense and then just watched from about 10 feet away as Gordon and then Talton battled 3 Bruins for rebounds by themselves when he could have easily gotten in the fray. He DID NOT want to be there tonight. Unacceptable.

Some of the comments are already going way overboard. This is a talented, but young, roster. And without Spencer, it's an odd fit, with only one guard who can really play at a P12 level right now. It'll get better, but not having any of the freshmen really step up this year is hurting.

And if we don't miss like 15 layups then how do we look? It was a **** game.

You're going to miss layups. They missed a **** ton too. They shot 39%. It's about offensive weapons. Tell me ... outside of Scott and Booker, based on the entire year, not just this game, who else do you think we can count on for offense? UCLA had 6-7 legit scorers.

You're going to miss layups. They missed a **** ton too. They shot 39%. It's about offensive weapons. Tell me ... outside of Scott and Booker, based on the entire year, not just this game, who else do you think we can count on for offense? UCLA had 6-7 legit scorers.

On most nights I would take Scott, Booker, and XJ. Wes showed he can do it at washington as well. UCLA is going to have more weapons. They are UCLA. They recruit based off of ancient history...

Back