What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2014 UCLA @ Colorado Basketball Game thread

On most nights I would take Scott, Booker, and XJ. Wes showed he can do it at washington as well. UCLA is going to have more weapons. They are UCLA. They recruit based off of ancient history...

Didn't the recently go to 2 straight Final Fours?

Why didn't George King play tonight? With some restrictions on his shooting we could have used his energy on the boards and a little more height on defense. I don't think I have ever been to a game where the ball was on the rim so many times and didn't go in for us. The team is going to be frustrated when they see the film of that game because it was very winnable.

Didn't the recently go to 2 straight Final Fours?

I was referring to the fact they get in the conversation on basically any recruit they want because of the accomplishments of Wooden. But yes they have been to the Final Four recently

Why didn't George King play tonight? With some restrictions on his shooting we could have used his energy on the boards and a little more height on defense. I don't think I have ever been to a game where the ball was on the rim and didn't go in for us. The team is going to be frustrated when they see the film of that game because it was very winnable.

Failure to finish at the rim and failure to inability to control the defensive glass. Other reasons, of course, but I think the Buffs would have won tonight if they'd handled the 2 things I mentioned.

The notion that Tad is not a good game day coach is just silly. How many games have we won the last couple years even though we were overmatched talent wise? Two this year alone. Most people would attribute at least some of those victories to coaching. Boyle wipes the floor with Sean Miller almost every time we play the Cats.

I was referring to the fact they get in the conversation on basically any recruit they want because of the accomplishments of Wooden. But yes they have been to the Final Four recently

I don't know if that's as true any more. There's part of it that's them being the Notre Dame of basketball with always being relevant to the media and any historical greatness broadcast can't fail to mention UCLA. But mostly it's that they've in LA, win a ton, and might be the top Adidas program with all the AAU links that gives them.

I don't know if that's as true any more. There's part of it that's them being the Notre Dame of basketball with always being relevant to the media and any historical greatness broadcast can't fail to mention UCLA. But mostly it's that they've in LA, win a ton, and might be the top Adidas program with all the AAU links that gives them.

I bet there is something to a recruit walking in and seeing those 10 Championship trophies, including 9 straight when they visit the athletic facilities.

Just got home from the game. As the clock was winding down I was thinking that the Buffs were losing because they were out-battled at the rim and turned over the ball in such a way that it led to easy baskets. How many times did UCLA get a second chance at the rim? How many times did the CU fail to convert at the rim? And 20 turnovers? Wow, that's way to many to keep yourself in a game at this level.

Tab stated on the post-game show that all the things they did wrong tonight are correctable. He was definitely upset about the loss as the game was winnable. It's good that he has that attitude, now the players need to show it on the court.

Let's be sure to show up the USC game Saturday. CU deserves the support!

I bet there is something to a recruit walking in and seeing those 10 Championship trophies, including 9 straight when they visit the athletic facilities.

It has to have an impact looking at all those banners and trophies. There are fewer than 15 programs that have won more than 1 NCAA title.

However...

I may be wrong, but I believe that UCLA's recruiting success if less about the Wooden run and more about the things I mentioned earlier.

Failure to finish at the rim and failure to inability to control the defensive glass. Other reasons, of course, but I think the Buffs would have won tonight if they'd handled the 2 things I mentioned.

Not sure we've finished well at the rim all year, but tonight was especially bad. Gordon, XJ and Thomas all struggle to finish. However, while we were more bad than usual at the rim, that was somewhat offset by Askia being unreal from deep. He can't be counted on to have many shooting nights like that.

We are short a player or two on the perimeter, and Askia isn't going to light it up like he did tonight very often.

We need some other guys to pick it up and I bet we will see improvement into the PAC12 tourney.

This is really tough for everyone: fans, coaches and players. I think everyone is still in a state of shock. We need a win Saturday to get rid of the negative energy.

9 consecutive min scoreless in the second half, 4 min scoreless to close out first half. We found out last year v Illinois that we cant take 13 minutes (~33% of the game) off and still have a chance. Just be happy it wasnt worse.

Interesting was just listening to some national analysis of this out here on the east coast and the opinion after the last week is CU is crashing and burning and they are now thinking CU is a questionable bubble team the way things are going. Scary we could actually be viewed like this after a 14-4 start..... but its reality now

Interesting was just listening to some national analysis of this out here on the east coast and the opinion after the last week is CU is crashing and burning and they are now thinking CU is a questionable bubble team the way things are going. Scary we could actually be viewed like this after a 14-4 start..... but its reality now

Seems reasonable. Don't forget that we almost lost to WSU. The team needs to step up.

that was somewhat offset by Askia being unreal from deep. He can't be counted on to have many shooting nights like that.

We are short a player or two on the perimeter, and Askia isn't going to light it up like he did tonight very often.

This. If Booker shoots 40% tonight (better than his average), we lose by 20+. That tells you how inept we are on offense right now.

Not sure we've finished well at the rim all year, but tonight was especially bad. Gordon, XJ and Thomas all struggle to finish. However, while we were more bad than usual at the rim, that was somewhat offset by Askia being unreal from deep. He can't be counted on to have many shooting nights like that.

We need some other guys to pick it up and I bet we will see improvement into the PAC12 tourney.

We take above an above average amount of shots at the rim and shoot above average at the rim, this is what efficient teams to. Tonight was clearly an anomaly as Dinwiddie takes a below average amount of shots at the rim and also shoots below average at the rim.

This is really tough for everyone: fans, coaches and players. I think everyone is still in a state of shock. We need a win Saturday to get rid of the negative energy.

:stupid:

I think Saturday is HUGE now. Losing SD has definitely put this team into a funk (understandably). 2nd half against UW and tonight haven't been good at all. A team like $C is a team that the guys we have left should still be able to beat handily at home. Do that, and they have some hope that the season didn't die with Spencer's ACL. Lose, though, and they can easily see this season as over.

We take above an above average amount of shots at the rim and shoot above average at the rim, this is what efficient teams to. Tonight was clearly an anomaly as Dinwiddie takes a below average amount of shots at the rim and also shoots below average at the rim.

My eyeballs tell me that XJ, Gordon, and Thomas have struggled mightily in converting insider possessions into points. Especially against the better teams on the schedule and against the zone defenses. I'd be interested to see how those numbers look vs Baylor, OSU and the Pac12.

My eyeballs tell me that XJ, Gordon, and Thomas have struggled mightily in converting insider possessions into points. Especially against the better teams on the schedule and against the zone defenses. I'd be interested to see how those numbers look vs Baylor, OSU and the Pac12.

Pretty much everybody has played zone against CU

XJ on the year -66.5% at rim
Gordon 52.9%
Thomas 66.7%

2 games broken down

Baylor - xj 66%, gordon 100%, thomas 50%
OSU - xj 50%, gordon did not attempt, Thomas 0-2

Gordon 52.9%
Thomas 66.7%

2 games broken down

What's average at the rim? What's good?

Looking at the box score, UCLA had 15 offensive rebounds, story of the game. Both teams shot poorly from the field and from 3.

Frustrating game tonight. Crowd was mostly in attendence but flat. In a bit of shock like the rest of us perhaps. There were flashes by players and crowd, but just an awkward night overall. Layups and free throws just would not drop. A couple of players were invisible in the stats.

Well.... We do have a very solid coach. We have talent (though I do feel a bit of tough love could be in order). We will improve as the season progresses. But given our offensive struggles tonight my expectations for a tourney of any kind are strained.

This team has a lot of work ahead of them. I will be in attendance and root them forward. Tad is going to earn his keep the next couple of months.

Last edited:

Gordon 52.9%
Thomas 66.7%

2 games broken down

If a team gets a lot of transition layups and offensive rebound putbacks, this number is naturally going to be higher than if you are working it down on the block in a half court setup, and a guy is being defended. It's only the latter I question our efficiency on. Not sure if this stat you are using to prove your point tells me that. My eyeballs are telling me that these three guys struggle in that situation.

55% is average, anything above 60% is good. CU is at 60% as a team, Dustin is the best, #2 is XJ, Scott is 3.

Weird. We are above average in shots at the rim %? I wouldn't have thunk it.

How does that stat deal with shots coming before a shooting foul? It must ignore those shots, right?

Back