What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2014 Utah @ Colorado Basketball Game thread

Then I hope Boyle is master psychologist. Hopkins starts the game, then sits after the second whistle and never sees the court again (working from memory, but I think I got that right). That's not going to help build confidence: especially when done in front of 9k people and on TV (factors that I believe do impact college kids). Don't get me wrong, to win the game, I believe it was the right move. I'm just saying that restoring a kid's confidence after that won't be easy. But then, I don't know anything about #23's mental character -- maybe he's the type who can shake off a benching and move on; hope so.

Boyle is very cognizant of a kids mental state. I've said this before but it's worth repeating after a rough game from Hopkins. At an event last year Tad told this story - Last year when Ski was struggling Tad called Carlon for advice on what to do. The year before Carlon had gone through a similar mid-season slump, Tad asked him if he should have done anything differently. Carlon said it did a lot for him mentally that Tad stuck with him and didn't have him come off the bench or decrease his minutes, he told him to stick with Ski and have trust in him. Tad ultimately decided to stick with Ski because he didn't want to ruin his confidence.

Hopkins isn't exactly in the same position, being a freshman thrown into the fire when the best player went down, but Tad has anointed him as the next big PG for the Buffs. It'll be interesting how this plays out.

Boyle is very cognizant of a kids mental state. I've said this before but it's worth repeating after a rough game from Hopkins. At an event last year Tad told this story - Last year when Ski was struggling Tad called Carlon for advice on what to do. The year before Carlon had gone through a similar mid-season slump, Tad asked him if he should have done anything differently. Carlon said it did a lot for him mentally that Tad stuck with him and didn't have him come off the bench or decrease his minutes, he told him to stick with Ski and have trust in him. Tad ultimately decided to stick with Ski because he didn't want to ruin his confidence.

Hopkins isn't exactly in the same position, being a freshman thrown into the fire when the best player went down, but Tad has anointed him as the next big PG for the Buffs. It'll be interesting how this plays out.

I think the difference is Carlon and Ski are both scorers, and have a good jump shot. Not too mention they both had signifcant college experience already. Right now Hopkins doesn't. He's not a big threat from the outside and defenses know it. He struggles to drive the lane as well. I'm ok with a PG by committee, but hard to see him being the guy right now.

I really like Hopkins by the way. Think he will be a special player for us. But even Spencer struggled his freshman season and had Nate and Carlon there to help out.

Sarcasm meter took a while to kick in. My issue with those, is that I'm usually asleep about 45 seconds afterwards. My goal is usually to stay awake until she gets back from the bathroom -- I average about 50% success on that.

Talk about unproductive days, those nooners cause me to get even less done that attending basketball games in the middle of the day.

I like Saturday nooners... Just say'n.

Sarcasm meter took a while to kick in. My issue with those, is that I'm usually asleep about 45 seconds afterwards. My goal is usually to stay awake until she gets back from the bathroom -- I average about 50% success on that.

Talk about unproductive days, those nooners cause me to get even less done that attending basketball games in the middle of the day.

That's why summer nooners are best. As soon as you're done, you wolf down a beer & sammich then turn on golf or baseball. It's pretty much the perfect Sunday afternoon with a power nap finale.

I'm probably JHop's biggest "backer" on here, but he was horrible on Saturday, and he's been bad since Spencer went down. The kid is trying to be Spencer, and he's not ready to be yet. Just like Spencer needed Nate his freshman year, JHop needs Spencer right now. Running the point for this team is a tricky thing. I'm really hoping we didn't just kill the kid's confidence. I fully support Tad's decision to sit him the entire second half, but now he needs to love him back up a little bit. The simple fact is that on pure talent, he might be the best player on our team. We need him to reach that talent level now.

JHop has the skill to play PG just watch his HS tape. He is obviously pushing too hard right now. He also posted on Twitter that he is pushing 200 right now, and I am wondering if that is maybe too heavy for him at the moment, meaning muscle in the wrong places. Jaron will be fine. He wasn't expected to be "the guy" this year, and it is pretty obvious he wasn't ready to be either.

Jhop is going to be fine, but I really dont think he should start. This team has the fight to come from behind, but there's no point in digging a huge hole right away if we dont have to.
I think he probably is one of the more talented on the team, but he's just not ready and we cant afford those turnovers.

Jhop is going to be fine, but I really dont think he should start. This team has the fight to come from behind, but there's no point in digging a huge hole right away if we dont have to.
I think he probably is one of the more talented on the team, but he's just not ready and we cant afford those turnovers.

Talton has a higher turnover rate than jhop. They all need to take care of the ball better, but Talton and Eli both turn it over at a higher rate than Jhop. Talton had a great game, but he's also had just as bad of games as jhop had on Saturday.

What is "pure talent?" Athleticism? Because he isn't really good at anything else right now. Shooting, ballhandling, defense etc
I'm probably JHop's biggest "backer" on here, but he was horrible on Saturday, and he's been bad since Spencer went down. The kid is trying to be Spencer, and he's not ready to be yet. Just like Spencer needed Nate his freshman year, JHop needs Spencer right now. Running the point for this team is a tricky thing. I'm really hoping we didn't just kill the kid's confidence. I fully support Tad's decision to sit him the entire second half, but now he needs to love him back up a little bit. The simple fact is that on pure talent, he might be the best player on our team. We need him to reach that talent level now.

Talton has a higher turnover rate than jhop. They all need to take care of the ball better, but Talton and Eli both turn it over at a higher rate than Jhop. Talton had a great game, but he's also had just as bad of games as jhop had on Saturday.

Is that adjusted for minutes played or no? Believe me, I've seen all 3 of them do some boneheaded stuff, but even with Jhop's solid Defense he's an offensive liability. I guess the question is Who is going to come out and play "good enough" defense and not be a total offensive liability?

Um ok. So what is "pure talent?" Just asking a ?
It's difficult to catch this when your playing NCAA Football online during games, but he routinely guards the opponents best player, he's a pretty good defender right now.

Is that adjusted for minutes played or no? Believe me, I've seen all 3 of them do some boneheaded stuff, but even with Jhop's solid Defense he's an offensive liability. I guess the question is Who is going to come out and play "good enough" defense and not be a total offensive liability?

yeah - adjusted for mins played. Considering they all play PG and all handle the ball about the same amount it's a decent comparison. Trust me I want Talton to play like he did on Saturday every game. But it's unlikely the way they played on Saturday is going to be the norm for either of them.

(included Dinwiddie and Booker for reference)

PlayerTO Rate
Hopkins23.6
Talton27.1
Stalzer33.7
Booker17.8
Dinwiddie15.9

Now I guess the question is hopkins' defense enough to mitigate his offensive liabilities, or do we take a little worse defense with XT and hope for more production.
With these kids (Wes, XT) it's so easy to see that it's all a confidence game for them. One good play for them early and they'll play well the whole game. 1 screw up and they may as well not be on the court because they get into their own head.

I vote that Jaron continues to start, for more size on defense. Maybe Booker needs to just bring it up the court from here on out. I think Jaron really needs the minutes to get better, but sub in XT frequently so he can try to find his shooting zone. Then whoever plays the best in the first half gets the majority of second half mins.

Before I forget.... Shout out to the Bachelor party Buff alum group at the sports bar in the Palazzo during the Utah game. Great group of Buff fans were crowded around a big screen to view this comeback! Several were Board members and watcher's. We combined groups, were very vocal, and sang the song at the end of the game damn loud! What a frikin hoot that was! Thanks for the hospitality fellas!

Go Buffs! Egg

Ski is an athlete. I see no explosiveness from Talton or Hopkins.

At the Wazzu game Wednesday when Nik told me someone said this, I didn't believe him.

If that's true, then I am blind. And we're in trouble.

You are blind. Maybe if Jhop just practices explosiveness more than everyone else, he will eventually be the most explosive player.

seattle - if you don't see any explosiveness from J-Hop...

It's just not worth it to argue. That's on you.

Let's go Buffs!

Hey, buddy! I thought you said you had to argue sense into this guy, but it looks like tini and tante did the real work on it.

I'm not even bagging on Stalzer ... I originally said he didn't "screw up much". Crucify me. He looked better today than he normally does. He's shooting 29%. More turnovers than assists.

As for Hopkins' explosiveness, I guess time will tell if all of you ****ers are right and I'm the asshole ... I know he's young and hopefully will develop. I just don't see the same instincts in him that we saw with Spencer or even Ski as a freshman. And his jump shooting form is brutal. He shoots a set shot. There are numerous freshmen I've seen (can't name them off the top of my head) who are outside the Top 100 who are far more developed. I'm a Buff, I hope I'm wrong. I've been wrong far more times than right.

People already tore this post apart, so I don't need to. I'm still just shocked at how you come to say the things you say. Damn you're a terrible poster.

I thought this board was where we discuss perceived strengths and weaknesses of our team. Not a cheerleading forum. But, you know, I'm clearly way out of sync with this group, so I'll make this my last post.

I love Tad, and hope all these young kids turn into the players he saw when he recruited them. I'm optimistic, and so glad we're relevant in the conference and the country. Go Buffs!

Please let it be your last post. If I was a moderator, your last post would have been weeks ago.

Tad Boyle hopes to have Tre'Shaun Fletcher back within 2-3 weeks per his interview with KOA yesterday. Would be great to get him back for that stretch run against Utah, Stanford, Cal or even the Arizona game.

I'm not even bagging on Stalzer ... I originally said he didn't "screw up much". Crucify me. He looked better today than he normally does. He's shooting 29%. More turnovers than assists.

As for Hopkins' explosiveness, I guess time will tell if all of you ****ers are right and I'm the asshole ... I know he's young and hopefully will develop. I just don't see the same instincts in him that we saw with Spencer or even Ski as a freshman. And his jump shooting form is brutal. He shoots a set shot. There are numerous freshmen I've seen (can't name them off the top of my head) who are outside the Top 100 who are far more developed. I'm a Buff, I hope I'm wrong. I've been wrong far more times than right.
bump for non-explosive hopkins.

Back