What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2015 Coaching Carousel

Kansas is not a good job. It is going to be hard to find a good coach to go there. It is a tough place to win.

It is early and a lot more jobs will open up. If CSU continues to have success, McElwain will be mentioned a lot. I think he is a smart guy and won't take a job like Kansas.

agree - I see him wanting to get back to the sec

I think you guys are over-rating what the CSU job is a stepping stone to.

In basketball, Tim Miles' success led him to get the Nebraska job. Not exactly a prime hoops job, but it was an opportunity to build at a P5 program that was showing willingness to invest in getting better.

Kansas is a similar type job in football. It's the same situation as CSU was when McElwain took that job, just at a higher level. He's likely going to have to win at a place like KU if he wants an SEC HC job.

I tend to think McElwain would jump at KU if he got the offer. Miss. St., ASU or some other mid level P5 school might be open too after the big dogs, UF, UM etc. poach their next guy. Miss. St. is the only SEC job that I think would look at McElwain right out of Ft. Fun. If he continues to roll, he'll be on a lot of short lists, and deservedly so.

I tend to think McElwain would jump at KU if he got the offer. Miss. St., ASU or some other mid level P5 school might be open too after the big dogs, UF, UM etc. poach their next guy. Miss. St. is the only SEC job that I think would look at McElwain right out of Ft. Fun. If he continues to roll, he'll be on a lot of short lists, and deservedly so.

Based on how well they are playing, and how crappy the MW is, I'd be a little surprised if they dropped more than 2 remaining games on the schedule. If Sparkles finishes the season 9-3 with wins over 2 Big 5 programs, he's gone.

In basketball, Tim Miles' success led him to get the Nebraska job. Not exactly a prime hoops job, but it was an opportunity to build at a P5 program that was showing willingness to invest in getting better.

Kansas is a similar type job in football. It's the same situation as CSU was when McElwain took that job, just at a higher level. He's likely going to have to win at a place like KU if he wants an SEC HC job.
Depends on the level of success. If he could have run the table this year and squeezed in to a New Year's bowl, maybe someone takes a flyer. But not a 1-2 loss team - that is the route to KU.

Heres the thing with the Michigan job-Its nowhere near as attractive as everybody thinks it is. Not only is the B1G in a downturn, but there is a ton of drama surrounding both Brady Hoke and his boss. They aren't getting either Harbaugh brother, and they aren't getting any hot P5 coach. Sparkles might be the best they can do. There is a silver lining to the UM situation, though: Doug Nussmeier (who we kicked around as an HC candidate prior to MM coming here) might be looking for work, and he is nowhere near as attractive as he was before he went to Michigan. Could he be interested in a return to the Pac 12 as a play caller?

You are right in that historically CSU has been a stepping stone to either higher end mid-majors or to lower end power conference jobs, not to top type jobs.

McElwain might be a little different though based on a couple things. One is that following a bowl win over a major confernce team last year by a school that was 3-9 each of the prior seasons the MWC is setting up for him to have two wins over decent OOC opponents and end up contending for the conference.

The other is that he was the coordinator at Bama for the NCs and even if he wasn't responsible for that it rubs off.

He won't be hard to sell to some ADs as a coaching candidate if he finishes this year strong.

Dennis Allen is from Dallas-that might be a name that could make sense at KU if they want a bigger name than Ed Warriner........

Here's what McElwain has done in his two full years, compared with his predecessor. Opposing teams' season record next to the W/L. The competition took a huge drop-off in their winning season, in which they beat not one team with a winning record, not even in their bowl win. Not sure that qualifies McElwain for any P5 job.

CSU HC
FairchildFairchildMcElwainMcElwain
CUL (5-7)L (3-10)W (1-11)L (4-8)
NevadaL (13-1)W (4-8)
Miami (OH)L (10-4)
IdahoW (6-7)
TCUL (13-0)L (11-2)
AFAL (9-4)L (7-6)L (6-7)W (2-10)
UNLVW (2-11)L (2-10)W (2-11)
UtahL (10-3)
New MexW (1-11)W (1-11)W (4-9)W (3-9)
SDSUL (9-4)L (8-5)L (9-4)
BYUL (7-6)
WyomingL (3-9)L (8-5)L (4-8)W (5-7)
N Colorado*W (0-11)
UTEPL (5-7)W (2-10)
SJSUL (5-7)L (11-2)L (6-6)
Utah StW (7-6)L (11-2)L (9-5)
Boise StL (12-1)L (11-2)L (8-5)
N Dakota St*L (14-1)
Fresno StL (9-4)
Hawai'iW (3-9)W (1-11)
TulsaL (3-9)
Cal Poly*W (6-6)
AlabamaL (11-2)
Wash StW (6-7)
UC Davis*
Boston College
CSU (Opponents)
3-9 (85-67)3-9 (69-81)4-8 (85-69)8-6 (70-103)
25% (56%)25% (46%)33% (55%)57% (40%)

Heres the thing with the Michigan job-Its nowhere near as attractive as everybody thinks it is. Not only is the B1G in a downturn, but there is a ton of drama surrounding both Brady Hoke and his boss. They aren't getting either Harbaugh brother, and they aren't getting any hot P5 coach. Sparkles might be the best they can do. There is a silver lining to the UM situation, though: Doug Nussmeier (who we kicked around as an HC candidate prior to MM coming here) might be looking for work, and he is nowhere near as attractive as he was before he went to Michigan. Could he be interested in a return to the Pac 12 as a play caller?

Dude. Stop. Michigan remains a top 10 job. It's Michigan for Chrissakes. Michigan. In spite of their issues, that's a very attractive job.

Sackman-Love your posts, but I don't agree. Alabama, Auburn, LSU, UCLA, USC, Florida State, Georgia, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Oregon, and Texas A&M are all better jobs. Its a good job, sure. Is it good enough to lure people with the resume of the names they are throwing out? I don't think so, especially with a rumored opening at Florida.

Michigan "Fire Brandon" rally, early stages:

By0DKGxIUAAH8ID.jpg:large

I don't think they need a rally, he's done imho. Perhaps it might help with firing him sooner but I doubt it.

Sackman-Love your posts, but I don't agree. Alabama, Auburn, LSU, UCLA, USC, Florida State, Georgia, Oklahoma, Notre Dame, Oregon, and Texas A&M are all better jobs. Its a good job, sure. Is it good enough to lure people with the resume of the names they are throwing out? I don't think so, especially with a rumored opening at Florida.

To the bold - you gotta be kidding me. Nice jobs, even good jobs. Not Michigan type jobs. Add to your list Florida, Ohio State and Texas, though. Remember this is about a lot more than just how those teams are doing right this very second.

Of course, it's all subjective. I'm pretty sure Charlie Strong is thinking that Louisville is a better job than Texas right about now.

"Fire Brandon" rally moves to UM President's House:

By0LL8AIgAEoUdO.jpg

[video=youtube;mdwLxOK7xLc]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mdwLxOK7xLc[/video]

Safe to say you've lost control of the situation when the villagers are literally camping on your front yard with torches and pitch forks. No way he survives right?

Double post

Last edited:
Think your wrong. Michigan is top 5 or so and way above UCLA and some others.

Plus the timing is perfect. Roster is loaded with talent and its prime time for a quick turnaround as compared to Boulder. Florida also great for same reason.

Nobody is is going to want to follow Saban.

I don't see Allen coaching college ball. He spent the majority of his career and more than a decade in the nfl.I think he is one of those guys that sticks in the NFL for life.

Agree completely with Sacky and others, Michigan despite a few rough years is still one of the elite jobs in college football.

They have a huge stadium which until recently was filled for every game. I guarantee that most coaches expect that with some wins it will be full again.

They have a huge budget, excellent facilities, and a history of administrative support. They have a first class university and high level of loyalty from area recruits and legacy recruits.

Add to all this their history and it's hard to argue that the coaching community doesn't consider Michigan to be one of the top jobs in the country. It may not be as high as it was 5 or 10 years ago but it hasn't fallen a lot.

My Michigan friend thinks Dantonio has a real estate agent looking for s house in Gainesville right now. Not sure if potential or just wishful thinking.

I Have heard some at SMU want to try and bring in Mac Brown.

Agree completely with Sacky and others, Michigan despite a few rough years is still one of the elite jobs in college football.

They have a huge stadium which until recently was filled for every game. I guarantee that most coaches expect that with some wins it will be full again.

They have a huge budget, excellent facilities, and a history of administrative support. They have a first class university and high level of loyalty from area recruits and legacy recruits.

Add to all this their history and it's hard to argue that the coaching community doesn't consider Michigan to be one of the top jobs in the country. It may not be as high as it was 5 or 10 years ago but it hasn't fallen a lot.

Don't forget the"Content-Free" academic track for athletes! Benefit from UM's academic reputation without the...ya know..... real academics!

Huge factor in recruiting!

My Michigan friend thinks Dantonio has a real estate agent looking for s house in Gainesville right now. Not sure if potential or just wishful thinking.

I Have heard some at SMU want to try and bring in Mac Brown.
The Mac Brown thing could be interesting. I realize he is no spring chicken, but given the visceral feedback Strong has received in Texas, if Mack took a slightly different approach, he could be extremely successful. A gamble for sure, but it would be interesting to watch how it played out.

Disagree...His name will come up prominently if CSU continues to have success. Look at Gary Anderson at Utah State...he was 26-24 in 4 years and leveraged that into the Wisconsin job. It is a matter of being in the right place at the right time. Plus McElwain gets extra points for being at Alabama and his association with Saban. If McElwain is smart he will avoid the Kansas job - it is a dead in job not a stepping stone. There will be good jobs out there. Basketball is totally different, you only have to get a couple of players to really change your fortunes.

Disagree...His name will come up prominently if CSU continues to have success. Look at Gary Anderson at Utah State...he was 26-24 in 4 years and leveraged that into the Wisconsin job. It is a matter of being in the right place at the right time. Plus McElwain gets extra points for being at Alabama and his association with Saban. If McElwain is smart he will avoid the Kansas job - it is a dead in job not a stepping stone. There will be good jobs out there. Basketball is totally different, you only have to get a couple of players to really change your fortunes.

Didn't Gary Anderson turn us down, too? Sparkles makes sense at Michigan or Utah (if Whittingham goes). KU won't fool with somebody like him-I don't think they can stomach $7.5 mil on a football coach's buyout. David Beaty is a name to watch there-He's one of the best TX recruiters in the sport, he's Kevin Sumlin's recruiting coordinator, and he's got ties to the fat man.

Didn't Gary Anderson turn us down, too? Sparkles makes sense at Michigan or Utah (if Whittingham goes). KU won't fool with somebody like him-I don't think they can stomach $7.5 mil on a football coach's buyout. David Beaty is a name to watch there-He's one of the best TX recruiters in the sport, he's Kevin Sumlin's recruiting coordinator, and he's got ties to the fat man.
assumes that buyout is as "ironclad" as sheep fans think it is. Likely not, IMO.

Back