What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2015 Coaching Carousel

I agree with everything you said, but don't you think this is exactly why this is the best job in the nation? They target a top name and they do a BZ and want to tie facility improvements into their contract.......Texas doesn't blink an eye.

May be the best school/athletic department (public funded, at least) for any coach because of the money, recruiting grounds, power conference, and facilities. But ego-driven coaches who do have the chops may also want a culture where they are the alpha. You have to check your ego among many other big name coaches there, while getting blame when you're underperforming and having success met with plenty of "anyone could recruit/win with those resources."

Anyone with a pulse at Texas would be scary.

I've discussed this with JG before, but Texas might be the best job in the nation. First off, you're going to have unlimited money for whatever you need. They literally will hand you a check that says this:

00475431.jpg

Secondly, you're in a state that has tons of good recruits who all want to play for you. Finally, you're at a football school so the idiot fans will mostly leave you alone. At Kentucky, you lose a game and people freak out. At Texas, they'll pay more attention to spring ball.

If so, why is UT considering buying out Barnes? Those "idiot fans" have a lot of dough and don't like being second fiddle, even in BB.

Tad's name getting thrown around right now as one of coaches Tennessee is interested in talking with.

Tad's name getting thrown around right now as one of coaches Tennessee is interested in talking with.

Now that we have RG in place, the idea of replacing a coach makes me a lot less nervous. I expect Tad to be our coach for a long time, though.

Brian Wardle is the new Bradley coach (Wisconsin - Green Bay).

Probably a good hire. Bradley's a place where a coach can win. Chicago, Indianapolis & St. Louis drivable for recruiting. Plus an outstanding arena that would be among the best in the Pac-12. If I was looking to make a move up in the coaching ranks, I'd target the Bradley job. MVC is very top heavy and you can gain in the standings quickly. Good choice by Wardle.

Probably a good hire. Bradley's a place where a coach can win. Chicago, Indianapolis & St. Louis drivable for recruiting. Plus an outstanding arena that would be among the best in the Pac-12. If I was looking to make a move up in the coaching ranks, I'd target the Bradley job. MVC is very top heavy and you can gain in the standings quickly. Good choice by Wardle.

Wardle has had pretty good success at UWGB. Put 7'1" Alec Brown into the draft last season (Phoenix). He's got connections with Mac Irvin Fire AAU, so that should help. Bradley's neighbor down I-74 - Illinois St - is on a rapidly rising trajectory and Bradley needs to make up some ground.

It's going to be critical for him to retain Josh Cunningham.

https://rivals.yahoo.com/basketballrecruiting/basketball/recruiting/player-Josh-Cunningham-139439

Last edited:
Now that we have RG in place, the idea of replacing a coach makes me a lot less nervous. I expect Tad to be our coach for a long time, though.

Given the way we underachieved this year I've been assuming we were in for a lot less chatter on Boyle getting hired elsewhere, but its looking like there could be a fair amount of churn this year, so maybe not. Though it is a bit annoying to have to hear Tennessee chatter for the second year in a row. Aren't they going to be on their 4th coach in 6 years? I'd imagine their not going to have a ton of name guys interested in the job given that stat.

Last edited:
They're coming for Marshall, right?

Depends how much the donors want to open the purse strings. Texas might have the bankroll to at least make sure that somebody like Pitino tells them no first. Though I don't think Calipari or Izzo would ever leave their current gigs.

Depends how much the donors want to open the purse strings. Texas might have the bankroll to at least make sure that somebody like Pitino tells them no first. Though I don't think Calipari or Izzo would ever leave their current gigs.

If I was an AD with the cash to make an offer anyone would have to listen to and discuss with his family, the first call I'd make would be to Billy Donovan's agent.

They're coming for Marshall, right?

The worst thing that could happen would parallel their football search. Names of coaches leak who would be making lateral moves to go there and then the more realistic targets like Marshall or Smart say no. Would be absolutely humiliating and great hubris for us non-fans to get our jollies on, but it's a very real possibility. Money can sway a lot, though. I imagine had Barnes accepted the UK job before they moved on to Gillispie he may have lasted at least one more year and then got a handsome buyout and be working his way back as an A10 or American Conference coach right now. He set himself back by hanging around and mailing it in for so many post-Durant seasons.

Chris Mack, though. That's a name that got more pub 2 years ago when Barnes was missing the tourney. I think he would accept and do a respectable job.

I find this odd - both smart & Marshall have had numerous big-time opportunities in the last 3-4 years, and turned all of them down. Why UT?

is it just so marshall can whip up on KU 2x per year?

I find this odd - both smart & Marshall have had numerous big-time opportunities in the last 3-4 years, and turned all of them down. Why UT?

is it just so marshall can whip up on KU 2x per year?

Isn't it obvious?

The worst thing that could happen would parallel their football search. Names of coaches leak who would be making lateral moves to go there and then the more realistic targets like Marshall or Smart say no. Would be absolutely humiliating and great hubris for us non-fans to get our jollies on, but it's a very real possibility. Money can sway a lot, though. I imagine had Barnes accepted the UK job before they moved on to Gillispie he may have lasted at least one more year and then got a handsome buyout and be working his way back as an A10 or American Conference coach right now. He set himself back by hanging around and mailing it in for so many post-Durant seasons.

Chris Mack, though. That's a name that got more pub 2 years ago when Barnes was missing the tourney. I think he would accept and do a respectable job.

Don't count Barnes out at Tennessee-He could be a compromise for them. They won't be able to get any name of note from the smaller conference ranks, and I don't see a hire of Dane Fife going well there. Barnes' wife is a Tennessee alum, and he hasn't had any trouble with the NCAA-which is probably going to be key for the Vols after the Donnie Tyndall fiasco.

metta world peace expresses interest in St. Johns JOb, rumor is chris mullins has offer from st johns.

Shaka at UT should scare the Big 12. Hell of a coach. Although KU fans would be shaking in their oversized yellow shoes if Marshall ended up in the conference.

Back