What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2015 Colorado Spring Game Info & Roll call

We are going to be better. We don't have enough athletes and we are facing a schedule from hell so it probably won't matter but I expect improvement in execution and scheme.

Initial Thoughts:

The deep pass to Ross was badly under thrown. It was a cover zero and when a receiver has 5 yards on the CB, that has to be automatic and hit in stride. Sefo looked average, but playing without his top 2 WRs and a couple of the starting OL, I'm not willing to make any definitive judgments. Also, as average as Sefo looked, there's a large gap between him and #2.

Ross looks like he's going to be a playmaker, though. He was a guy who continually flashed in both the drills and in the live scrimmage, against multiple DBs. If he continues to get better and more comfortable in the offense, I think the WR position could be better than most think.

Lindsay looked like the best RB, and it wasn't really that close.

Looks like our defense is going to be mostly of the 4-2-5 variety, which I like a lot. Laguda is going to be a solid player for the defense. He has the body to play Safety and the skills to play Corner. Crawley is still our best DB, while Yuri was, by far, the most inconsistent. Got beat deep multiple times in the drills and scrimmage, but also made a few nice plays on the shorter routes. He's definitely not a guy they'll be able to leave on an island if he gets in a game.

Also, something to keep in mind: Everything we saw on both sides of the ball was the most vanilla stuff imaginable. Making definitive judgments on the team as a whole after the scrimmage is worse than predicting how an NFL team will do after watching their 1st Pre Season game.

Last edited:
Also, something to keep in mind: Everything we saw on both sides of the ball was the most vanilla stuff imaginable. Making definitive judgments on the team as a whole after the scrimmage is worse than predicting how an NFL team will do after watching their 1st Pre Season game.

this is what I keep telling myself. And while true, I was very unimpressed by what I did see yesterday.

K- My take on the whole thing. Really did not care with the format, team does look a little bigger (on average) but a lot of key players not out there, so hard to tell. These kids need to hit the weights and film this summer - no time to **** off - we are in for a long season again next year unless some of these kids showing up (freshmen and transfer) blossom. very :boring:

Construction looks great and going to look awesome when completed, beautiful day in Boulder.

I don't think you take much from what the offense did yesterday, one way or the other. Several contributors were out. Just need guys like Bobo healthy come August.

this is what I keep telling myself. And while true, I was very unimpressed by what I did see yesterday.

What specifically, though? There's nothing vanilla about Kicking and I think we can say that it's going to be bad to quite bad. Aside from that, though, what definitive conclusions can be drawn from an hour of football being played with 3's and 4's being mixed in with the 1's and 2's? We saw some plays made by the defenses, some big plays by the offenses and some consistent, hard running by Lindsay. Like I said, it's like saying you're unimpressed with an NFL team after their 1st preseason game.

What happened to Laguda? Did he play?

Also good luck getting a crowd to attend a future Spring Game with that format. Basically 20 mins of scrimmage

I think the format needs to change to 1s v 1s and 2s v 2s. When we do our inter-squad scrimmages (at the high school level), it's always a #1 O vs #1 D, or as close as we can get as there are probably 4-5 guys who go both ways. It allows us to evaluate how guys are able to perform against other Varsity guys, other than mixing projected #1s with guys who will never see the Varsity field.

With the new defensive system I think McCartney and Matthews need to put on some extra wieght. Gilbert is in the hybrid role but I would like to see him at about 245-250.

I agree, but how sad a statement is that really. The anyone, anytime, anywhere days are SO far distant.
Pretty sure that was sarcasm. Why would any coach do anything but keep their open practices vanilla? Not to mention we had a lot of players out who will see significant PT.

I never knew people took spring games so seriously. Do whatever minimizes the injury risk.

It's just really hard to take anything positive away from what I saw yesterday. I saw a lot of what I've seen the last 10 years.

In the 5 minutes or so that 'Nik sat with me, he pointed out that Watanabe looks ... well... fat. We're depending a lot on him to come in and be a difference maker.

I dunno guys. I was actually kind of optimistic before yesterday. Now, not so much.

In the 5 minutes or so that 'Nik sat with me, he pointed out that Watanabe looks ... well... fat. We're depending a lot on him to come in and be a difference maker.

I dunno guys. I was actually kind of optimistic before yesterday. Now, not so much.
It's odd how much you are taking from this Spring Game when you were extremely reluctant to take anything from the Samson observations a week ago

It's odd how much you are taking from this Spring Game when you were extremely reluctant to take anything from the Samson observations a week ago

Wait, so I can't be reluctant to take the coaches word for it that Samson is tearing it up when I see a Spring Game where he clearly isn't tearing it up?

What am I missing here? He didn't do anything special yesterday that I can recall. That's the point. Nobody did. If I can't make judgements based on what I'm seeing, why bother? I'm just supposed to listen to coach-speak ramble on about how awesome a player is and ignore how ineffective he is in an actual scrimmage?

Honestly, if I'm wrong about how Samson did yesterday, somebody tell me. I don't remember him making any plays. I can't recall his name ever being mentioned.

Wait, so I can't be reluctant to take the coaches word for it that Samson is tearing it up when I see a Spring Game where he clearly isn't tearing it up?

What am I missing here? He didn't do anything special yesterday that I can recall. That's the point. Nobody did. If I can't make judgements based on what I'm seeing, why bother? I'm just supposed to listen to coach-speak ramble on about how awesome a player is and ignore how ineffective he is in an actual scrimmage?

Honestly, if I'm wrong about how Samson did yesterday, somebody tell me. I don't remember him making any plays. I can't recall his name ever being mentioned.
Both were practices, but one you were very reluctant to take any from but the practice yesterday seems to be drawing a lot stronger opinions. I just don't see it being worthwhile to take any real stance from yesterday. It was a practice where the teams were drafted by the players, and it wasn't 1 vs 1, 2 vs 2, etc. We are also missing guys like Adkins, Bobo, Lee, Walker, etc. so we didn't see a good amount of players that will be playing a lot this Fall.

While I do agree that his actual football performance was lacking and almost just non existent if you watched him on the sidelines the kid is a leader. He was running all over the place hyping people up or getting in people's faces if they made a mistake. Twice I saw Leavitt bring him over to the side, talk a little, and then Samson went and grabbed a bunch of guys and then I assumed relayed whatever message needed to be said.

So I feel like there were some positives from him, there really wasn't anyone else standing out as a leader at all to me except a few times i saw Sefo taking charge. But yeah the overall football yesterday was boring and almost seemed to be too "safe" I just never really got invested in the scrimmage.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I also think it's a bit of a crutch to make the claim that because it was a watered down scrimmage and there were players who will probably see playing time in the Fall who weren't there that we can completely discount what we saw on the field.

I left that game discouraged with what I saw.

Maybe it was because the OL he was going up against is just that good?

Completely joking, but the Spring Game brings nothing but chicken or egg arguments, and makes it impossible to be definitive one way or the other.

At the end of the day, you didn't feel good about what you saw. That's your opinion and are entitled to it, I just think if you take a step back to gain perspective on what you were watching, you won't feel as doom and gloom.

I also think it's a bit of a crutch to make the claim that because it was a watered down scrimmage and there were players who will probably see playing time in the Fall who weren't there that we can completely discount what we saw on the field.

I respect your opinion of how you feel, but I am very curious as to specifically what you were discouraged with?

But it's true. At least 4 players who will see significant time this fall were out (Bobo, Lee, Adkins, Gillam) plus Walker and Keeney among others. On top of that, the teams were split up.

I'm having a real hard time forming an opinion one way or the other after yesterday.

I respect your opinion of how you feel, but I am very curious as to specifically what you were discouraged with?

I wanted to be impressed. I wanted to see players making plays. Aside from the pick 6 and the long run, there wasn't any of that.

I guess we need to keep telling ourselves, the 2013/14 season has only been over about 3 1/2 months. How much change can we expect in that short time? I am disappointed in some of the players that we did not see last year because of injury, RS or just did not see play time. I was expecting those players to be in better shape and showing some desire to earn starting positions. Seems as though our roster has some Pac starters then a pretty good drop off ???
As I stated earlier, these guys need to take the summer serious and hit the weights and film rooms. They really need to develop a competition from within to push each other for starting positions. seem really thin at LB, QB, WR, RB - That is all your Key positions. If one player goes down in any of those, we are furked again.

Back