What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2015 CU Spring Football Practices

Charles Clark coaches safeties. Pretty sure Tumpkin took over corners from HCMM.
DBT was right. Tumpkins is coaching the safeties, Clark the corners. Guessing Tumpkins will have input on both units though.

DBT was right. Tumpkins is coaching the safeties, Clark the corners. Guessing Tumpkins will have input on both units though.
Yeah. I agree that Tumpkins will have input on both positions. I also think Tumpkins could very well be the heir apparent to the DC job if and when JL takes a HC position. I have no reason to believe that other than his previous DC experience and the second hand and small amount of praise I've heard about him.

With Fisher and Oliver coming in and MM saying they can both help us next year means Yuri never sees the field

If Yuri wakes up and works and plays to his ability one or both of those guys can RS. If he doesn't then you are correct. At this point it is all on Yuri.

Talking Yuri, I believe that 2012 class got beat up mentally from just a messed up situation. Yuri Wright and Marques Mosley had no business being on the field as much as they were. It broke Mosley. He looked like a kid that didn't want anymore but had to keep going out there. I have seen that as a wrestling coach a lot.

(I believe) 13 of the 28 signed commits of 2012 are no longer at CU or never made it on campus. The class before that had roughly the same sort of attrition. There is a reason the Buffs are climbing out of the dumps.

Now onto spring practice, when there is a whole bunch of snow Saturday are they going to let people cram into the bubble to watch practice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Talking Yuri, I believe that 2012 class got beat up mentally from just a messed up situation. Yuri Wright and Marques Mosley had no business being on the field as much as they were. It broke Mosley. He looked like a kid that didn't want anymore but had to keep going out there. I have seen that as a wrestling coach a lot.

(I believe) 13 of the 28 signed commits of 2012 are no longer at CU or never made it on campus. The class before that had roughly the same sort of attrition. There is a reason the Buffs are climbing out of the dumps.

Now onto spring practice, when there is a whole bunch of snow Saturday are they going to let people cram into the bubble to watch practice?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Now I get it, on weight.

If the TV geniuses predict a bunch of snow, count on the opposite actually occurring. Have they been right once this season?

Yuri came in with excellent natural athleticism and speed. Set him apart at the HS level; even though he really didn't have a deep FB background. The he got whacked by the Big Train of incompetency that was WB. After a year+ of being screamed at, instead of being actually coached, he's still recovering.

Now I get it, on weight.

If the TV geniuses predict a bunch of snow, count on the opposite actually occurring. Have they been right once this season?

Yuri came in with excellent natural athleticism and speed. Set him apart at the HS level; even though he really didn't have a deep FB background. The he got whacked by the Big Train of incompetency that was WB. After a year+ of being screamed at, instead of being actually coached, he's still recovering.

Boy, you look like a muh ****in uhhhhh

I noticed Isaac Miller wearing #73. He's listed on the roster at cubuffs.com as #76, which is also listed for Irwin.

Is Evan White's best fit at OLB?

I thought that was true in HS, but the impressions I've had of him so far is he's not as thick as I thought he'd be and faster than I thought. He's got NFL safety size, but not sure about the speed. If not, he'd do well to add some muscle and move it on up.

I thought that was true in HS, but the impressions I've had of him so far is he's not as thick as I thought he'd be and faster than I thought. He's got NFL safety size, but not sure about the speed. If not, he'd do well to add some muscle and move it on up.

He'd have to put on at least thirty pounds to compete effectively at OLB.

That's not easy to do and retain what speed you have. White's 40 time was listed at 4.9 coming out of HS. Hopefully, that's come down a tenth or two with serious training.

He'd have to put on at least thirty pounds to compete effectively at OLB.

That's not easy to do and retain what speed you have. White's 40 time was listed at 4.9 coming out of HS. Hopefully, that's come down a tenth or two with serious training.

No. 4.5. He was an All-Colorado DB at a school that has plenty of speed.

As far as him moving to OLB... I would love to see him there if we ran a 3-3-5 or 4-2-5 defense. Very athletic, tackles well, plays better in space than most of our LBs and can match up with #2/#3 receivers in coverage. In either of those defenses, he wouldn't have to gain much weight at all and it would add much needed speed and athleticism to the field.

I was at a coaching clinic in Broomfield over the weekend, where I had the chance to listen to a few different CU coaches speak. One of the sessions was HCMM discussing secondary play, with everything from mindset, technique and scheme. He showed a number of coverage schemes that they used against spread teams and continually used Crawley's film to show everything. I can tell you one thing... Mac loves KC and has some high hopes for him in '15. He mentioned that the one area where he needs to get better is finishing when the ball is in the air. He showed 5-6 separate game clips where Crawley played flawless technique from snap to throw, was in perfect position on the WR when the ball got there but was unable to bring in the INT. Mac said Crawley panics a little when the ball is in the air and was lacking the confidence to make a better play on the ball, but that he has seen a complete 180 in that area for KC so far in Spring ball. Said he has about 8 picks so far in practices and he is expecting a huge year for him. Really encouraging stuff.

I was at a coaching clinic in Broomfield over the weekend, where I had the chance to listen to a few different CU coaches speak. One of the sessions was HCMM discussing secondary play, with everything from mindset, technique and scheme. He showed a number of coverage schemes that they used against spread teams and continually used Crawley's film to show everything. I can tell you one thing... Mac loves KC and has some high hopes for him in '15. He mentioned that the one area where he needs to get better is finishing when the ball is in the air. He showed 5-6 separate game clips where Crawley played flawless technique from snap to throw, was in perfect position on the WR when the ball got there but was unable to bring in the INT. Mac said Crawley panics a little when the ball is in the air and was lacking the confidence to make a better play on the ball, but that he has seen a complete 180 in that area for KC so far in Spring ball. Said he has about 8 picks so far in practices and he is expecting a huge year for him. Really encouraging stuff.

KC is playing for league money this year. He seems to finally be understanding that he is good enough to play at that level. Needs to maintain that confidence.

Crawley is going to get paid a lot of money if he can take the next step and force some turnovers. He has everything you want physically in a NFL corner and has put in the work to get better, I'm expecting him to have a big year.

Crawley is going to get paid a lot of money if he can take the next step and force some turnovers. He has everything you want physically in a NFL corner and has put in the work to get better, I'm expecting him to have a big year.

In the practice videos, he looks like he has been treating his time in the weight room like job preparation. Kid looks like a beast. Just need to translate that into TO's. He already locks down his side of the field. Needs to make QB's pay for throwing it to him.

To add to a point I made about KC panicking when the ball is in the air, HCMM said the same thing about Greg Henderson. Said that Henderson was a great cover CB and made a lot of plays, but he didn't trust his ability to make a play on the ball, so he would just play the receiver instead of turning to find the ball. Supposedly that has been a huge point of emphasis for the DBs in Spring practices.

Mac also talked about the issues that the younger DBs have had with their technique. Instead of looking up with just their head and finding the ball in the air, some of them turn their shoulders, which slows the DB down just enough for the WR to gain the slight separation needed to catch the ball. I think this is a tangible example of where the youth on the team over the past few years have really hurt them. These kids never had this issue because most of them could probably backpedal as fast as opposing WRs could run in high school, so technique wasn't a focus. Getting to this level, they almost have to be broken down and built back up to be able to handle Pac 12 WRs. I think we'll continue seeing big time improvement from our secondary over the next two seasons.

To add to a point I made about KC panicking when the ball is in the air, HCMM said the same thing about Greg Henderson. Said that Henderson was a great cover CB and made a lot of plays, but he didn't trust his ability to make a play on the ball, so he would just play the receiver instead of turning to find the ball. Supposedly that has been a huge point of emphasis for the DBs in Spring practices.

Mac also talked about the issues that the younger DBs have had with their technique. Instead of looking up with just their head and finding the ball in the air, some of them turn their shoulders, which slows the DB down just enough for the WR to gain the slight separation needed to catch the ball. I think this is a tangible example of where the youth on the team over the past few years have really hurt them. These kids never had this issue because most of them could probably backpedal as fast as opposing WRs could run in high school, so technique wasn't a focus. Getting to this level, they almost have to be broken down and built back up to be able to handle Pac 12 WRs. I think we'll continue seeing big time improvement from our secondary over the next two seasons.

This! Yes...aaaaggghhh...gawdamit! The most often yelled phase in my house besides "you gotta be ****ing kidding me!" is "TURN AROUND!!!"

If Crawley can start forcing turnovers/ints then he will be a day one pick in the NFL draft.

Just to clarify, what do you mean by "day one"? I think that mean just the 1st round now. I believe the old days was rounds 1-3. Is the old way what you meant?

Edit: To the point about turnovers... if we want to see more picks from our CBs then Leavitt better run more zone coverage.

Back