What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2015 QB Recruiting

Me likey. Sure seems HCMM & Lindgren want a dual threat guy. Apsay is in that direction but Waller is better-looks like he has better wheels and a better arm. But we are going to have some stiff competition for him.

Threw for 1,669 yards and 12 touchdowns with seven interceptions as junior according to Maxpreps. Added 1,293 yards and 13 scores on the ground. Clearly he'll need to (and likely will) improve on his accuracy, but he can sling it in that video.

It is interesting that most of the known offers at this point seem to be for dual-threat QBs. I wonder if that is what they are really interested in or if they are looking for athletes to then change positions at some point (e.g. Moten). I would love to see our offense with a real running threat at QB but have never seen that from Mac before. I wouldn't call Fales, Gehrke, or Apsay dual-threats. Also at the post-signing day luncheon Mac mentioned how much of a premium he places on accuracy within our offense. That seems more in line with what he got out of Fales and what he is looking for with Apsay. Going from a QB recruit who threw for over 3k yards (Apsay, twice) to offering quarterbacks who are more like 1.5k passing and 1+k running seems like a pretty distinct difference.

Two thoughts:
1) He has confidence that he would be able to coach up an athlete and make them an accurate passer to fit within our offense. This seems to limit the recruits that we could get as I imagine the top recruits have plenty of programs saying they could come right in and fight for a starting spot and that might be our best approach (like what happened with Shay Fields), whereas this approach seems to suggest a RS and learning behind Sefo and/or Apsay.
2) A change of approach on offense towards more of an Arizona or Oregon style spread with more read options and QB runs.

I am hoping that the second is true as I think it makes for a very exciting offense (and I want to get the dirty taste of the pro-style Embree system out of my mouth). We may be able to determine what direction Mac wants to take this offense based on the QB commit. Either way, I hope Mac gets who he wants (though we wouldn't hear otherwise).

Hey Stretch, welcome to AB! I think he wants to go dual threat. HCMM & Lindgren pride themselves on adapting their offense to the talent they have. I have heard HCMM mention in the past that athletic QBs who can run are an asset as it challenges the D more. He knows from facing many of them this year.

I think they do want to go dual threat but if and only if they get a good one who beats out a more traditional QB ahead of him. My point is, yes they want to go dual threat but they are not going to be dogmatic about it if they don't have the right staff to pull it off. We are going more athletic across the board and I think in the coming years our offense is going to be more and more dynamic.

Thanks Boyd. Been lurking in the shadows for a while but finally bit the bullet and decided to toss out some of my thoughts.

With the idea that they are interested in these dual threat guys, where do you think that leaves Awini? I had assumed when I first heard the news that it was just to get another athletic body into the building. He could be used as a practice arm when we really needed him (or for a practice squad type to simulate Mariotta etc.), and would otherwise be quickly converted to something else WR/RB/DB/S/PR/KR.

However, does this represent the beginning of whats to come? Do you think Awini is just the first of a string of dual threat guys that we get onto the squad? Maybe he is somewhat of a test case for this offense, a toy for Lindgren and Mac to play with and bounce ideas off of. I doubt, but wonder if he will be used in any specialty packages?

Welcome, stretch.

My impression is that MacIntyre & Lindgren see 3 things as essentials with QBs:

1. Accuracy
2. Decision-making (and leadership)
3. Mobility

I think it's in that order, but all are necessary to be able to run the full playbook.

Beyond that, it seems like things such as height, arm strength, speed and size are all "nice to haves" that would elevate a QB on their board. But I don't see them recruiting a big-armed tree who can't hit the broad side of a barn or a speedster who can't read a defense.

Just wanted to say welcome aboard Stretch with a solid start on AllBuffs.

Not sure when the last time someone joined that was coherent!

That was what was glaringly obvious when watching him at AFA... Very, very inaccurate

Sent from my Windows Phone via Tapatalk

Back