What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2015: Recruiting News, Notes & Official Visitors

Sefo looked like he was going to dump his uniform, head into Downtown, and catch a bus back to Seattle midway through the fourth quarter.

I don't think that's fair to put on Sefo. He bleeds black and gold. He is competitive and he wants to win. He leaves it all out on the field.

Do you count any of the current commits as either grayshirts or taking LDS missions.

Wouldn't surprise me if we have somebody get an injury like Watanabe and delay enrollment until healthy.

Those who want instant results are going to be disappointed but it looks like M2 is willing to take a hit now for future value. Building a solid foundation to work from in the future.

We have 17 seniors and 1 walk-on junior who is on scholarship for this season. That's where I get the 18.

Then, we've got 11 commitments plus 2 gray shirts from last year. That's the base of 5 spots left.

I'm sure there will be some moving parts within that.

Saw Watanabe on the sideline, at least I think that was him. Not as big as I expected. Rick Gamboa looked like a tank, but didn't get to see him in camp. Know that his movement is questionable from camp reports on here.

Saw Watanabe on the sideline, at least I think that was him. Not as big as I expected. Rick Gamboa looked like a tank, but didn't get to see him in camp. Know that his movement is questionable from camp reports on here.

Gamboa looked soft to me. I saw him standing on the bleacher and he definitely wasn't ripped.

How did Embree's recruiting rankings compare with Mac's? Particularly, Rivals.

How did Embree's recruiting rankings compare with Mac's? Particularly, Rivals.

2010 (last full Hawkins year): #66
2011 (Embree class; partial year): #75
2012 (Embree full class): #36
2013 (Mac class; partial year): #68
2014 (Mac full class): #63

As a note with the 2012 class, there were 13 guys rated 5.6 or higher by Rivals. We had another 9 low-end 3* (5.5 guys). And then there were 5 recruits at 2* ratings.

Here is that list:

1. Yuri Wright (4*, 5.9)
2. Kenneth Crawley (4*, 5.8)
3. Shane Dillon (3*, 5.7)
4. Kisima Jagne (3*, 5.7)
5. Tyler Henington (3*, 5.6)
6. Vincent Hobbs (3*, 5.6)
7. Jeromy Irwin (3*, 5.6)
8. Clay Norgard (3*, 5.6)
9. Davien Payne (3*, 5.6)
10. Christian Powell (3*, 5.6)
11. Justin Solis (3*, 5.6)
12. Jeffrey Thomas (3*, 5.6)
13. Peyton Williams (3*, 5.6)
17. Marques Mosley (3*, 5.5)
18. Austin Ray (3*, 5.5)
19. Gerald Thomas (3*, 5.5)
20. Josh Tupou (3*, 5.5)
21. John Walker (3*, 5.5)
22. De'Jon Wilson (3*, 5.5)
26. John Stuart (2*, 5.4)
27. Terrence Crowder (2*, 5.2)

As a comparison, here's the 2013 class.

4 recruits of 5.6 or greater. Again, 9 low-end 3*s at 5.5. And then 7 guys at 2* with 1 unrated.

1. Sefo Liufau (3*, 5.7)
2. Devin Ross (3*, 5.7)
3. Bryce Bobo (3*, 5.6)
4. Colin Sutton (3*, 5.6)
8. Gunnar Graham (3*, 5.5)
9. Jonathan Huckins (3*, 5.5)
10. Sam Kronshage (3*, 5.5)
11. Phillip Lindsay (3*, 5.5)
12. Markeis Reed (3*, 5.5)
13. Tedric Thompson (3*, 5.5)
17. Timothy Coleman (2*, 5.3)
18. Kenneth Olugdobe (2*, 5.3)
19. Ryan Severson (2*, 5.3)
20. Connor Center (2*, 5.2)
21. Jordan Gehrke (unrated)
* Addison Gillam considered a transfer, not a recruit. But had been a 2*, 5.2 on Rivals for 2012.

Nik, those stats/rankings are pretty troubling to me. I have a tough time buying the "this staff finds diamonds in the rough" thing. I'd prefer the "diamonds in the rough" to be the exception to a great recruiting class than relying on it over bringing in more highly ranked guys.

There's a RB by the name of Kirk Johnson, current Longhorn commit out of San Jose. He goes 6'1", 200lbs, and runs a Sparq verified 4.57. Seems like exactly the kind of back we should target and you'd think the staff might have a shot given their ties to that area, but we haven't offered. Anybody know anything more about him?

Johnson and his younger brother ('16 recruit) are Texas legacies. Also think he is being looked at for defense by most schools.

Almost certain the coaches reached out at some point though. I believe it is the same school as Jay MacIntyre and Ryan Severson.

Nik, those stats/rankings are pretty troubling to me. I have a tough time buying the "this staff finds diamonds in the rough" thing. I'd prefer the "diamonds in the rough" to be the exception to a great recruiting class than relying on it over bringing in more highly ranked guys.

I definitely see what you're saying but how troubling do you find that 2012 list? Yikes. I would like us to strike a balance here and find guys that are not a risk washing out (2012) but are also more talented than some in the 2013 class.

Johnson and his younger brother ('16 recruit) are Texas legacies. Also think he is being looked at for defense by most schools.

Almost certain the coaches reached out at some point though. I believe it is the same school as Jay MacIntyre and Ryan Severson.

Thanks for the intel, Duff.

2010 (last full Hawkins year): #66
2011 (Embree class; partial year): #75
2012 (Embree full class): #36
2013 (Mac class; partial year): #68
2014 (Mac full class): #63

As a note with the 2012 class, there were 13 guys rated 5.6 or higher by Rivals. We had another 9 low-end 3* (5.5 guys). And then there were 5 recruits at 2* ratings.

Here is that list:

1. Yuri Wright (4*, 5.9)
2. Kenneth Crawley (4*, 5.8)
3. Shane Dillon (3*, 5.7) gone
4. Kisima Jagne (3*, 5.7) gone
5. Tyler Henington (3*, 5.6)
6. Vincent Hobbs (3*, 5.6) gone
7. Jeromy Irwin (3*, 5.6)
8. Clay Norgard (3*, 5.6)
9. Davien Payne (3*, 5.6) gone
10. Christian Powell (3*, 5.6)
11. Justin Solis (3*, 5.6)
12. Jeffrey Thomas (3*, 5.6) gone
13. Peyton Williams (3*, 5.6) gone
17. Marques Mosley (3*, 5.5)
18. Austin Ray (3*, 5.5) gone
19. Gerald Thomas (3*, 5.5) gone
20. Josh Tupou (3*, 5.5)
21. John Walker (3*, 5.5)
22. De'Jon Wilson (3*, 5.5)
26. John Stuart (2*, 5.4) gone
27. Terrence Crowder (2*, 5.2)

Yikes

I'm totally with you, DBT. No one will be happier than me if/when we get to the point where the entire class is 5.6 or above except for 3-5 guys that our coaches find through their pipeline network or camps, fall in love with and take a shot on. We need to get there quickly.

Duff is correct on the Johnson brothers, they committed on the same day if I'm not mistaken. Sons of Johnnie Johnson, two-time All-American at UT before playing nearly 10 years in the NFL. Seemed like a slam dunk for the Longhorns.

How does this not show that Macs recruiting absolutely destroys Embrees.

Lynott is huge for this class. Doesn't look like a project looks like a guy who is starting as a Soph or RS Soph.

Out of that #36 2012 class the remaining on the roster are

Wright 4*
Crawley 4*
Henington 3*
Jeromy Irwin 3*
Norgard 3*
Powell 3*
Solis 3*
Sean Irwin 3*
Walker 3*
Wilson 3*
Crowder 2*

11/27

That is what is killing us.

That will happen when you change coaches. What is killing us just as much is we have a massive amount of kids who are development types who are seeing the field this year. These guys shouldn't be playing until there third or fourth years in the system. I think every body pretty much agrees on this.

I just don't understand why our O-line is so mediocre. These guys are all upperclassmen accept Irwin. They should know every trick in the book by now to be at least effective. They literally lost us all the momentum when they couldn't block for us to pound that TD in early in the first half.

Official Visits - 2015 Class

NamePositionStateVisit DateCU OfferCommitment
Nicholas FisherRBCASeptember 19YCOLORADO
Tevis BartlettATHWYOctober 3Y
Quinten PoundsATHCAOctober 3YWashington
Jeremy KellyATHCANovember 28Yrescheduled
Tony BrownWRCADecember 5Y
Jordan CarellDTJCDecember 5YCOLORADO
T.J. FehokoDEUTDecember 5YCOLORADO
Justin JanWRAZDecember 5YCOLORADO
Afolabi LagudaSJCDecember 5Y
Isaiah OliverATHAZDecember 5Y
Nathaniel RobbinsDEJCDecember 5YCOLORADO
Boogie SewellDTUTDecember 5YCOLORADO
Gabriel SewellLBUTDecember 5Y
Mika TafuaDEHIDecember 5YBYU
Tui Wily-MatagiATHHIDecember 5YUtah
N.J. FaloLBCADecember 12YCOLORADO
Donald GordonRBCADecember 12YCOLORADO
Donzale RoddieATHCADecember 12YUtah
Brett TonzDTAZDecember 12YCOLORADO

Think this is a kid the staff has been following. Good start to the year:

DB
Jabari Butler
Las Vegas (Nev.) Bishop Gorman
Butler drew four-star Equanimeous St. Brown most of the night and did an admirable job. He plays long and loose and has a knack for poking the ball away when it comes his way. St. Brown had the size advantage but Butler was physical and did a nice job containing receivers all night.

https://colorado.rivals.com/content.asp?CID=1676126

Denver East safety Jalen Moore is now at Upland in California. Sat out first two games, finds out today if he can play this week. Tip of the hat to Darth Snow.

I'm watching the Chaminade vs Hart game from over the weekend. Dymond Lee is awesome. We need to offer that kid ASAP.

Bounds has been doing well as a DE. Think he projects better there than at TE. He has the frame to add weight and maybe be a swing DE/DT type kid.

Chaminade also has a pretty solid looking freshman RB in TJ Pledger. Gotta keep a pipeline going to that school.

Hart's entire team is basically Brady White trying to throw to Trent Irwin. Their OL is awful and the D looks pretty weak.

Possible new targets:
Donzale Roddie
Nick Capella
Justin Gamble
Steven sims Jr.
Leo lambert
Nathan Robbins
Kaden Smith
Kevin Davidson

Some are 2016 offers. I'll have more coming within the night.

Back