What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2015 Recruiting -- year of the California QB

Buffnik

Real name isn't Nik
Club Member
Junta Member
Scout article just dropped.

19 Quarterbacks were rated 4* or higher by both Scout and Rivals. 8 of them are from California. That's ridiculous. The QB talent in the west is also why the Pac-12 is elevating as the closest rival to the SEC for conference supremacy.

LINK

Surely it's not just a question of superior genetics. There must be some good coaching in Pop Warner all the way through high school to crank out that much talent.

Surely it's not just a question of superior genetics. There must be some good coaching in Pop Warner all the way through high school to crank out that much talent.

There are some great QB schools in CA that the players get to work at. Plus, a fantastic 7-on-7 circuit. California has a QB culture, plus the population and resources to bring them together to compete, train and learn.

Makes a certain amount of sense that that concentration of talent in California has some responsibility for a guy like Montez not getting as much attention as he might otherwise. In addition to that 4* talent there are also a bunch of quality 3* guys in California as well this year. It seems like everyone who wanted a QB just bought tickets to the coast instead of beating the bushes in the regions with much thinner talent.

Makes a certain amount of sense that that concentration of talent in California has some responsibility for a guy like Montez not getting as much attention as he might otherwise. In addition to that 4* talent there are also a bunch of quality 3* guys in California as well this year. It seems like everyone who wanted a QB just bought tickets to the coast instead of beating the bushes in the regions with much thinner talent.

The emphasis of CU's 2015 recruiting was to land one of the top CA quarterbacks. That was the priority and it was as public as these things get. Montez wasn't even on the CU radar until the need for backup plans arose and the Buffs auditioned about a half dozen guys at the CU camp.

Ending up with Montez was due to a recruiting failure. I like him, though, so I think we've got a chance of seeing the Buffs back into something we'll look back on and gush over how the coaches found this great undiscovered talent from El Paso.

The emphasis of CU's 2015 recruiting was to land one of the top CA quarterbacks. That was the priority and it was as public as these things get. Montez wasn't even on the CU radar until the need for backup plans arose and the Buffs auditioned about a half dozen guys at the CU camp.

Ending up with Montez was due to a recruiting failure. I like him, though, so I think we've got a chance of seeing the Buffs back into something we'll look back on and gush over how the coaches found this great undiscovered talent from El Paso.

I understand what you are saying and agree with it. The staff had a number of Cali QB's targeted and struck out on all of them.

My point is that if not for the concentration of talent in Cali more schools likely would have taken the effort to at least look at a HS football backwater like El Paso and Montez would have caught their attention.

I think (and hope) that we got a steal in Montez. I am also enough of a realist to know that based on the rest of our recruiting this year had other P5 schools been in on him before we got the commit he likely would be going elsewhere and we would be talking up the plan C guy.

I understand what you are saying and agree with it. The staff had a number of Cali QB's targeted and struck out on all of them.

My point is that if not for the concentration of talent in Cali more schools likely would have taken the effort to at least look at a HS football backwater like El Paso and Montez would have caught their attention.

I think (and hope) that we got a steal in Montez. I am also enough of a realist to know that based on the rest of our recruiting this year had other P5 schools been in on him before we got the commit he likely would be going elsewhere and we would be talking up the plan C guy.

Just imagine if Montez had been in NM...he may not have even gotten shoes.

Back