What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2016 Attrition Thread (Now Official): 8 gone (apsay, white, Center)

This is a very entertaining thread....

<sarcasm>Greyshirt all you Olinemen - great idea. I hope the rest of the PAC 12 does not find out about this </sarcasm>
Jay MacIntyre is not Scotty McKnight - he had 5 receptions in PAC 12 play for a little over 30 yards - not overly elusive nor a downfield threat. He would not be on the team if his dad was not the HC.

Exactly. We can discuss the merits of JMac all day long, but I think we can all agree that he would not be on scholarship if his Dad was not the coach. He would either be a walk-on at CU or on scholarship at Lipscomb.

I'm sorry, I find the hyperbole here a little much. Jay Macintyre was a 3 star, 5.5 RR recruit. He wasn't even the worst-rated recruit in his class (in fact, there were 8 kids rated lower than him). Where do people get this idea that JMac was a clear outlier in terms of his worthiness for a scholarship?

If you want to criticize overall recruiting under MM, fine. But I don't buy the idea that MM somehow made an exception for his own son- he's taken tons of kids with equivalent or less talent.

I'm sorry, I find the hyperbole here a little much. Jay Macintyre was a 3 star, 5.5 RR recruit. He wasn't even the worst-rated recruit in his class (in fact, there were 8 kids rated lower than him). Where do people get this idea that JMac was a clear outlier in terms of his worthiness for a scholarship?

If you want to criticize overall recruiting under MM, fine. But I don't buy the idea that MM somehow made an exception for his own son- he's taken tons of kids with equivalent or less talent.
Is the hyperbole you speak of the fact he had no other p5 offers and wouldn't have gotten one from CU but for his last name? Is this seriously up for debate?

Is the hyperbole you speak of the fact he had no other p5 offers and wouldn't have gotten one from CU but for his last name? Is this seriously up for debate?
I thought offering him was a terrible idea, but looking back now do you have any faith that Mac would have brought in someone better if he had saved that scholarship? When you look at the first 3.5 years of recruiting under Mac, Jay was no more of a reach than most of the other kids we brought in.

Is he the kind of kid that CU should be recruiting, no we need to look higher but fact is that based on rating he is comparable to a good portion of the kids who have made up the program for the last 10+ years.

You can argue that he had no other P5 offers, true enough. A lot of our other recruits didn't either, and I can see a situation where other schools didn't offer because they either thought it would be a waste of time, he's going to CU, or that they didn't want to get involved with the other coaches kid.

meh, JMac isn't some godsend, nor do I think he's even close to Scotty level, but he seemed a lot better than Ross and some others we have. All the speed and agility in the world doesn't help if you can't catch the ball.

Reactions: SBG
I respectfully disagree DBT, we got other guys that can take that role hopefully. I'm not even sure what position little Mac will be playing.

I respectfully disagree DBT, we got other guys that can take that role hopefully. I'm not even sure what position little Mac will be playing.
My point is, we need as many stars as we can get. I certainly don't expect JMac to be one.

Not sure where the MiniMac hate comes from. He's a decent player and Mac made doubly sure with his assistants they wanted him...he seemed to leave it up to them. He's made some plays and I'd like to see what he can do on punt returns.

My problem is that:

1. people single out JMac when there are a dozen other kids on scholly that didn't have another P5 offer. It's not Jay's fault that his dad is the coach
  2. People single out JMac when he contributed last year. There are, again, half a dozen kids on scholarship who did not contribute a single snap either through lack of ability, effort, or both. JMac may not have all the physical tools that you'd want in a Pac12 receiver, but I don't think you can question his effort
  3. People act as if giving JMac a scholarship denied a more deserving athlete a chance at CU. Given that there were 8 signees in the 2014 class alone that were lower rated than JMac, I have 0 confidence that the coaches would have used that scholly for a better player
  4. People act like CU definitely wouldn't have recruited JMac if his dad wasn't the coach here, when JMac was a 3 star, 5.5 RR recruit ranked 10th in the state. I can point to Barnett, Hawkins, and Embree all taking in-state recruits that had lower star rankings, lower rival rankings, and didn't even scratch the top 10 in state. Face it: you can't say based upon any amount of empirical proof that JMac would not have been offered a scholarship if he wasn't the coach's son.
  5. Finally, it's not like JMac is getting a ton of playtime over more deserving players. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think CU has a bunch of Biletnikoffs waiting in the wings that aren't seeing playtime. The WR corps is not very good, and even with that consideration JMac only got a few dozen snaps last year.
The point is that it's beyond asinine for a bunch of "fans" to rip a kid who has given a bunch of time and effort to the CU program just because of who his dad is. Cut this bull**** out.

My problem is that:

1. people single out JMac when there are a dozen other kids on scholly that didn't have another P5 offer. It's not Jay's fault that his dad is the coach
  2. People single out JMac when he contributed last year. There are, again, half a dozen kids on scholarship who did not contribute a single snap either through lack of ability, effort, or both. JMac may not have all the physical tools that you'd want in a Pac12 receiver, but I don't think you can question his effort
  3. People act as if giving JMac a scholarship denied a more deserving athlete a chance at CU. Given that there were 8 signees in the 2014 class alone that were lower rated than JMac, I have 0 confidence that the coaches would have used that scholly for a better player
  4. People act like CU definitely wouldn't have recruited JMac if his dad wasn't the coach here, when JMac was a 3 star, 5.5 RR recruit ranked 10th in the state. I can point to Barnett, Hawkins, and Embree all taking in-state recruits that had lower star rankings, lower rival rankings, and didn't even scratch the top 10 in state. Face it: you can't say based upon any amount of empirical proof that JMac would not have been offered a scholarship if he wasn't the coach's son.
  5. Finally, it's not like JMac is getting a ton of playtime over more deserving players. Maybe I'm wrong, but I don't think CU has a bunch of Biletnikoffs waiting in the wings that aren't seeing playtime. The WR corps is not very good, and even with that consideration JMac only got a few dozen snaps last year.
The point is that it's beyond asinine for a bunch of "fans" to rip a kid who has given a bunch of time and effort to the CU program just because of who his dad is. Cut this bull**** out.
SC Slapped!

Meh, we had a worse case of nepotism occupying a scholarship at linebacker this year.

MacIntyre's recruiting has been bad, so yes we there are others who have had questionable offers - hence Buffnik's periodic attrition thread. An yes he made an exception for his son, the whole putting the assistants in the a room and having them watch film on his son to get an "honest" evaluation certainly did not pass the smell test with me. I do not hate the kid and I do not believe that I "ripped him" but I don't have to buy that he is the next Scotty McKnight either. Plenty of other players get ripped on these boards - if they don't like it they can go out on the field and prove us wrong.

Jay's ranking and offer list out of high school suggested he probably wouldn't be any more than a role player or depth guy at the P5 level which is pretty much what he's been. As long as his being here doesn't create friction in the locker room, I don't really expect much else.

Jay's ranking and offer list out of high school suggested he probably wouldn't be any more than a role player or depth guy at the P5 level which is pretty much what he's been. As long as his being here doesn't create friction in the locker room, I don't really expect much else.
Not to mention that coaches sons notoriously get overrated on the recruiting sites. See Luke Del Rio, Jack Elway, nick montana, Cody Hawkins just off the cuff.

Not sure where the MiniMac hate comes from. He's a decent player and Mac made doubly sure with his assistants they wanted him...he seemed to leave it up to them. He's made some plays and I'd like to see what he can do on punt returns.

This is such a joke though. Come on, your boss gives you video of his kid and says hey guys it's up to you. What do you do? There's just no real legit unbiased way to do it. It is what it is at this point, but there's no way all of those guys felt comfortable saying uhh Mac he's a PWO guy at best.

This is such a joke though. Come on, your boss gives you video of his kid and says hey guys it's up to you. What do you do? There's just no real legit unbiased way to do it. It is what it is at this point, but there's no way all of those guys felt comfortable saying uhh Mac he's a PWO guy at best.

The coaches personally knew Jay before offering him. Possibly they saw he was the son of a coach who played football at an ACC and SEC school and who was a pretty solid athlete.

Either they're a bunch of sycophants or they actually think he can play...IDK and neither do you. His ratings weren't that bad...certainly not the worst in his class.

iWKad22.jpg

Back