What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2016 Colorado Bowl game travel thread

Jens1893

Club Member
Club Member
Junta Member
P12 bowl tie ins

(College Football Playoff - Glendale, AZ OR Atlanta, GA - Dec 31, 2016)
#1 Rose Bowl v B1G - Pasadena, CA - Jan 2, 2017
#2 Alamo Bowl v Big 12 - San Antonio, TX - Dec 29, 2016
#3 Holiday Bowl v B1G - San Diego, CA - Dec 27, 2016
#4 Foster Farms v B1G - Santa Clara, CA - Dec 28, 2016
#5 Sun Bowl v ACC - El Paso, TX - Dec 30, 2016
#6 Las Vegas Bowl v MWC or BYU - Las Vegas, NV - Dec 17, 2016
#7 Cactus Bowl v Big 12 - Phoenix, AZ - Dec 27, 2016

use this thread to talk about tickets, accommodation, flights etc

SELECTION SUNDAY IS DECEMBER 4TH

Alright well cheapest travel would be Vegas and Pheonix I would think but there is no way we are that far down the list.

All California games would be great just because there are tons of people and connections out there, for example I wouldn't have to pay for a hotel and would have a place to stay for all three of those games (same with Vegas and Pheonix though). It would be pretty cool to play an old Big-12 foe in the Alamo Bowl but that is no question the worst for travel/lodging but would be amazing for recruiting to get all of those kids to the game.

There's just enough difference in dates that I can't quite ask for vacation time yet. Grrrrrr.

Ideally, it's the Rose or Holiday. Lots and lots of airports serve socal.

The bowl system is broken and boring as ****, unless you're in one of the New Years Six. The only redeeming quality of a bowl game is if the bowl tie-ins were outside of the team's conference's footprint. Sure, it's good for recruiting to go to CA or TX for a bowl game, but that does nothing for our national exposure. A change to college football postseason is needed.

The bowl system is broken and boring as ****, unless you're in one of the New Years Six. The only redeeming quality of a bowl game is if the bowl tie-ins were outside of the team's conference's footprint. Sure, it's good for recruiting to go to CA or TX for a bowl game, but that does nothing for our national exposure. A change to college football postseason is needed.

It is, but there're plenty of other threads to talk about that. This one is about travel arrangements, tickets etc.

I'm hoping for something more than the Holiday Bowl in San Diego, but I could easily drive there in two hours, and there are a ton of Buffs fans in CA who would attend. I went to that bowl game in 2008 when Oregon beat Oklahoma State and it was a pretty energized atmosphere. Plus, the Qualcomm parking lot is wide-open spaces, no-holds-barred tailgating fun. BBQ's allowed; open alcohol carry fully encouraged even when chatting with cops; and it will be sunny. There is rail transportation right into and out of the parking lot. Depending upon the opponent, this might be a decent result.

I really am excited to go I just hate waiting to finalize plans for the end of December/beginning of January on December 4th.

Never been to a bowl game, but going to try this year. All the destinations hold a certain appeal, for sure

San Antonio would be legit for me. If a bowl game doesn't work out for me hopefully I can just go to the pac 12 championship game if we make it. I

San Antonio would be legit for me. If a bowl game doesn't work out for me hopefully I can just go to the pac 12 championship game if we make it. I
I went to the Alamo bowl about 6 or 7 years ago. It was a blast and San Antonio is a lot of fun. I would go again, but want a different destination for this year.

When I looked early this morning United had RT tickets from Denver to San Antonio for 12/28 - 12/29 for $308. Not bad and cheaper than the fares listed right now on Southwest. The difference being that I don't think there are change fees on Southwest in case we go to a different bowl game.

I am being quite optimistic, but the Rose Bowl seats 100,000 and there are always many tickets available on the secondary markets. There are lots of airports servicing the region (LAX, Burbank, Orange County, Ontario, Long Beach, even San Diego). All the Buffs have to do is win the next 5 games, and they can even maybe lose one, depending upon who it is (not Utah or the North champ).

I am being optimistic, but the Rose Bowl seats 100,000 and there are always many tickets available on the secondary markets. There are lots of airports servicing the region (LAX, Burbank, Orange County, Ontario, Long Beach, even San Diego). All the Buffs have to do is win the next 5 games, and they can even maybe lose one, depending upon who it is (not Utah or the North champ).

Add that the LA area probably has as many hotel rooms as just about any market in the country (maybe NY has more) and the timing of the Rose Bowl means that those hotels will have very few of the business travelers who normal fill them.

Getting a room should be as easy as any bowl we could go to.

Back