What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2016 CU News & Notes (Buff Stuff)

Anyone else read this article

http://www.cubuffs.com/news/2016/8/5/football-buffs-making-red-zone-early-priority.aspx

The stats quoted in there are rather interesting. The Buffs increased their number of red zone opportunities from 45 to 54, but scored fewer TD's (and at a rate of less than 50%) and didn't score on 16 of those trips. Any improvement in those stats will translate into wins easily. That is about 5-7 points per game, which would have helped dramatically.

http://www.cubuffs.com/news/2016/8/5/football-buffs-making-red-zone-early-priority.aspx

The stats quoted in there are rather interesting. The Buffs increased their number of red zone opportunities from 45 to 54, but scored fewer TD's (and at a rate of less than 50%) and didn't score on 16 of those trips. Any improvement in those stats will translate into wins easily. That is about 5-7 points per game, which would have helped dramatically.

Yep. Need to finish drives this year. Also need more explosive plays for long TDs to make it easier on themselves.

I am of the opinion that a lot of the blame for this falls on Lindgren. For whatever reason, it seemed like last year he had a personal agenda to prove he was the smartest guy in the room via his playcalling, and a lot of times he outsmarted himself. hopefully Chev can help reverse that tendency.

I am of the opinion that a lot of the blame for this falls on Lindgren. For whatever reason, it seemed like last year he had a personal agenda to prove he was the smartest guy in the room via his playcalling, and a lot of times he outsmarted himself. hopefully Chev can help reverse that tendency.
This is why I am anxious to see how Chev and Lindgren interact on game day. Hopefully they can collaborate during the week well enough to where Lindgren is no longer making these mistakes.

That and Laufau had a broken wing, he could not throw effectively and the coaches didn't trust the backups. It was so obvious when Apsay played in the USC game that he had a healthy arm and that Laufau did not. Throw in a bad OL and Lindgren was limited. I am not absolving Lindgren, just recognizing that he was very limited in scope based on a lack of depth. If Laufau is hurt early again this season then there is almost no chance of a good record. Laufau is a limited skill guy, but is vastly superior to the alternatives this season.

That and Laufau had a broken wing, he could not throw effectively and the coaches didn't trust the backups. It was so obvious when Apsay played in the USC game that he had a healthy arm and that Laufau did not. Throw in a bad OL and Lindgren was limited. I am not absolving Lindgren, just recognizing that he was very limited in scope based on a lack of depth. If Laufau is hurt early again this season then there is almost no chance of a good record. Laufau is a limited skill guy, but is vastly superior to the alternatives this season.
You might just want to call him Sefo from here on out...

You might just want to call him Sefo from here on out...

Not a fan of annoncers calling the players by their first name, Brett or Peyton. Hagan is the greatest Buff football player of all time and he is always called Hagan, not Darian. Laufau is Laufau, I don't pretend to know him personally.

Not a fan of annoncers calling the players by their first name, Brett or Peyton. Hagan is the greatest Buff football player of all time and he is always called Hagan, not Darian. Laufau is Laufau, I don't pretend to know him personally.
Yeah but Hagan's name wasn't hard to spell

Fair to say OL and LB are still the two biggest question marks right now?

Fair. As position groups, they can't be liabilities. If they can just be average for a P5 team, this can be a very good season.

sure miss those practice reports and daily briefings. I always start getting really anxious looking for the daily Kool-Aid fix this time of the year

Who knows with these reports how real it is as coaches always play mind games but I know our guys are chomping at the bit to get pads on.

Who knows with these reports how real it is as coaches always play mind games but I know our guys are chomping at the bit to get pads on.

I remember the Montana State coach saying that he would take a timeout to celebrate with this team if they ever got a 1st down against CU. He spent the entire week telling the media that his team didn't even belong on the same field with CU. They dominated us that day. Thanks, Dan!

These things are also up and down based on the tempo the day prior. Guys can come out lethargic for a single practice for a number of reasons.

I remember the Montana State coach saying that he would take a timeout to celebrate with this team if they ever got a 1st down against CU. He spent the entire week telling the media that his team didn't even belong on the same field with CU. They dominated us that day. Thanks, Dan!
D II Danny was great at raising self-esteem...for the opponent.

Bobo is already playing the underdog card. Just sandbagging. Trying to motivate his players and make ours overconfident.

Our guys should not take any opponent lightly. This season should be all about maximum effort and leaving it all on the field. Not implying it wasn't that way last year, but even with more experience and possibly better talent, we will need maximum effort this year.

QB is the biggest question mark on this team. The starting QB has a 3 year history of not checking off WR's, not passing across the middle, not reading the defense correctly or making the correct pass. Add the injury (which could resurface during the season) leaving unproven QB's to enter.... Without question, QB is the biggest concern for the Buffs this season!

Everyone thought Sefo was developing into a very good QB when he threw for 3200yds, a 65% completion rate, and 28 TD's as a sophomore. Sure he had 15 Int's, a number he no doubt needed to work on. He then had a bad junior year. Injured twice, and saw his sack total go from 18 sacks to 23.

Sefo, has work to do. No doubt. He would probably be the first to tell you that. But lets not pretend he is just some bum that can't play. He led arguably the most prolific CU offense in over a decade his sophomore year, he just had no help on the other side of the ball. If he can return to 2014 form, with a 2015 defense, CU is going to be alright.

Yes... IF he can return to form (where he took the Buffs out of games by tossing pick after pick) and build up stats by throwing often when the team was down big. So yes, IF he is healthy. IF he can learn how to read defense's better. IF he can distribute the ball to WR's other than tossing up sideline routes. Yes. IF he can do all of that, CU is going to be alright.
Problem is, he has not shown any of that with consistency. I did not say he was some bum, but when I read above that QB was the third or fourth area of concern on this years team, I would counter. This year's main concern is QB play, be it Sefo or if he is injured, a young unproven QB. That being said, the Defense and skill positions should make it easier than recent years.

Back