What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2016 discussion

During current season: Next year is the year baby!
Next offseason: Bowl game or bust
Fall Camp: 8 wins!!!!
After non-conf: What do you expect? We're young and we were burned to the ground. Blame the last coach
During season: Next year is the year!

And so on. This basically sums up every allbuffs cycle since 2005
So, outside the window, amirite?

I see 4-5 wins on that schedule (leaning 4). Losing to UCLA doesn't make me feel better about our program. Sometimes teams beat superior teams; oftentimes they come close but don't quite pull it off. I expect that this team will have the same problems next year that it has this year, with additional questions at WR and probably a pretty shaky OL, plus more of the same at QB, and a bend-not-break defense that would be good enough if the O were a little better. On the other hand, the young RBs look promising and we couldn't be much worse at LB than we are this year.

Put another way... who are we favored by in conference, evaluated by a neutral party? Probably OSU. WSU obviously aren't world beaters but I think that they're better than us. Arizona has problems but they have superior QB play and athletes.

I hope that they prove me wrong.

The road schedule looks brutal on paper.

Yeah, but at least we'll have a legitimate shot of winning a conference game at home. Road losses have been so few and far between so this year we got that monkey off of our back.

But why do the scheduling Gods hate us so much?

But why do the scheduling Gods hate us so much?
Don't understand this - heard the same re. current season schedule. There's no easy PAC12 schedule, perhaps some just slightly less challenging than others. Anyway, getting UMass and Nichols in the same year is clearly a blessing from the scheduling Gods.

After suffering through another year of futility, I do not care if next year's schedule is difficult. By 2016 we will have given MikeMac more than enough time. This team better be good next year and that better show in the wins column. I expect 7 wins minimum.

Don't understand this - heard the same re. current season schedule. There's no easy PAC12 schedule, perhaps some just slightly less challenging than others. Anyway, getting UMass and Nichols in the same year is clearly a blessing from the scheduling Gods.

Oregon, USC, and Stanford on the road is about as tough as it gets for an unbalanced schedule.

Too early for this. We don't even know who will be coaching half of these teams next year or what their rosters might look like.

Oregon, USC, and Stanford on the road is about as tough as it gets for an unbalanced schedule.

The only good thing about Stanford on the road is it is never a hostile environment and there is usually a good amount of Buff fans at the games in northern California. Easy game for fans to travel out to as well.

People think 2016 is a bad schedule for us? Really? We have 5 conference home games against teams we have a good chance at beating. The 4 away games are tough, but I've gotten to the point where I just write them off anyway so to me no big deal there. The OOC is not killer...UM is tough but that's it.

This schedule really favors us and we better take advantage of it. 2-1 OOC, 3-2 at home and 1-3 away gets us to a bowl game. With this schedule and it being Mac's 4th year, he will be under tremendous pressure to go bowling...literally a bowl game or bust for him IMO. No idea if it will happen, but 2016 is as likely a scenario we've seen in years.

Those 3 are also arguably the 3 toughest conference games next year. I would rather have them on the road to increase our probability of wins against the rest of the slate at home.

I hate the fact I even have to write that last sentence. I can't wait for the day we have confidence in winning most games and believe we have a shot in all of them.

Those 3 are also arguably the 3 toughest conference games next year. I would rather have them on the road to increase our probability of wins against the rest of the slate at home.

I hate the fact I even have to write that last sentence. I can't wait for the day we have confidence in winning most games and believe we have a shot in all of them.
By next year I expect us to have a realistic shot in all of them. Now we will likely lose some and the score may not be close, but I expect the days of no hope to be gone.

People think 2016 is a bad schedule for us? Really? We have 5 conference home games against teams we have a good chance at beating. The 4 away games are tough, but I've gotten to the point where I just write them off anyway so to me no big deal there. The OOC is not killer...UM is tough but that's it.

This schedule really favors us and we better take advantage of it. 2-1 OOC, 3-2 at home and 1-3 away gets us to a bowl game. With this schedule and it being Mac's 4th year, he will be under tremendous pressure to go bowling...literally a bowl game or bust for him IMO. No idea if it will happen, but 2016 is as likely a scenario we've seen in years.

I just think the road schedule is not kind. I never said it was a bad schedule. Tough road schedule, manageable home schedule. IOW, little margin for error.

After non-conf: What do you expect? We're young and we were burned to the ground. Blame the last coach

Hope is stupid.

I just think the road schedule is not kind. I never said it was a bad schedule. Tough road schedule, manageable home schedule. IOW, little margin for error.
Gotcha. That has to do with being in the PAC12 IMO...gonna have a tough schedule no matter. Kinda wish we were in the ACC sometimes :LOL:

By next year I expect us to have a realistic shot in all of them. Now we will likely lose some and the score may not be close, but I expect the days of no hope to be gone.
Can't really disagree with the premise but if you're imagining the Buffs will sweep the home slate next year - well I think it unlikely. And any conference road win will be a struggle, no matter who (whom?). And I'm still waiting on the next 4 games to see how "real" the improvement is.

7-5 most likely.
Sefo wins us the bowl game.

Montez comes in 2017 as a R-So, leads us to the Pac-12 championship game.

There's a tendency to see the Buffs as on (or should be on) a continuously improving path to the top. First up on this agenda is a bowl game (= win half of games), then win division, then PAC12, then compete for national championship, while maintaining a continuous top-25 ranking and much time in the top 10 for the indefinite future.

No problem with setting the bar high, you can't improve without that. What I don't like to see is assumption that the upward trajectory will and should happen, leading the Program back to the glory days of 25 years ago. We are competing with over a hundred other programs, many with similar or higher $$commitment$$ to "getting there." And many of those in our conference. While (again) I like setting high goals, a 6-6 or 7-5 record should be routine and expected, with the occasional 8-4 or 9-3 (and 5-7 or 4-8) seasons when recruits prove better or worse than rated and various intangibles either fall in place, or don't.

With this I certainly concur, certainly, that a winning season is way overdue, but beyond that I project that there's not likely a path to national championship in the next 50 years, and PAC12 championships may be a once-in-a-decade event, at least given the current conference makeup.

So there it is, sorry for the realism, but it doesn't take away from hope and support to get us back to respectability and being competitive. There's a good chance we're approaching that point now - when we have a winning season, perhaps next year, that will be where we should be routinely (unexceptional). From there we can cheer on our Buffs to compete towards that elusive P12 title, and take great satisfaction when it finally happens.

There's a tendency to see the Buffs as on (or should be on) a continuously improving path to the top. First up on this agenda is a bowl game (= win half of games), then win division, then PAC12, then compete for national championship, while maintaining a continuous top-25 ranking and much time in the top 10 for the indefinite future.

No problem with setting the bar high, you can't improve without that. What I don't like to see is assumption that the upward trajectory will and should happen, leading the Program back to the glory days of 25 years ago. We are competing with over a hundred other programs, many with similar or higher $$commitment$$ to "getting there." And many of those in our conference. While (again) I like setting high goals, a 6-6 or 7-5 record should be routine and expected, with the occasional 8-4 or 9-3 (and 5-7 or 4-8) seasons when recruits prove better or worse than rated and various intangibles either fall in place, or don't.

With this I certainly concur, certainly, that a winning season is way overdue, but beyond that I project that there's not likely a path to national championship in the next 50 years, and PAC12 championships may be a once-in-a-decade event, at least given the current conference makeup.

So there it is, sorry for the realism, but it doesn't take away from hope and support to get us back to respectability and being competitive. There's a good chance we're approaching that point now - when we have a winning season, perhaps next year, that will be where we should be routinely (unexceptional). From there we can cheer on our Buffs to compete towards that elusive P12 title, and take great satisfaction when it finally happens.
Disluke.

This program will never be on the same level as it was 25 years ago, where it was competing for National Championships on the regular. However, getting to a level of the early 2000s, where we are winning the South and competing for P12 Championships (which automatically puts us in the conversation for the Playoff) every few years, is very achievable, IMO.

Nah, the last year of Hawkins didn't have the 8 wins during fall camp.

I'm going to say 6 wins - even though I can't necessarily see all six right now - just because I want to have hope.

Back