What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

2018 MBB Recruit Profile Index

Goose

Hoops Moderator
Club Member
Junta Member
PositionNameState Rivals ScoutESPN247sOfferCommitment
PGJames AkinjoCA 3*3*2*NRYUCONN
CRiley BattinCA3*3*4*3*YUtah
PFJakub DombekCZN/AN/AN/AN/AYCOLORADO
SGBryce HamiltonCA4*4*3*4*Y
PGKamaka HepaOR 4*4*4*4*Y
PFAnthony HiggsMDNR3*NR2*YMississippi
PFK.J. HymesAZ4*3*4*4*YNevada
PGDaylen KountzCO NR3*3*3*Y COLORADO
PGJordan LathonMO 3*3*NR3*Y Northwestern
SGElijah ParquetTX3*NRNRNRYCOLORADO
CAmadou SowCA3*3*4*3*YUCSB
[TBODY] [/TBODY]
Official Visits:

2019 MBB Recruit Profile Index
2020 MBB Recruit Profile Index

Last edited:
I thought we had a profile for him, but Scout shows mutual interest in Kamaka Hepa out of Portland Oregon. He's ranked 37 in Scout's class right now, but when I did a quick internet search on him, there was an article talking about how he may play overseas after HS. College though definitely is still in strong consideration. I'd fix it by creating a profile.. ...but I'd probably mess it up...

Also, Akinjo is showing as a 3* on Scout right now.

Since I don't see him in the OP or with his own thread yet, just wanted to copy a post I made in the 2017 Recruit Profile thread back in the middle of last October (before this thread existed)-

"
Evidently another offer for 2018-

A short profile for Mr. Kountz - http://verbalcommits.com/players/daylen-kountz
"

Updated notes-

Lathon apparently committed to Northwestern. We did offer another PG though, Logan Johnson out of St Francis in CA.

I like the Conditt kid. He apparently couldn't dunk a few years ago, and you can sort of tell by the lack of jumping ability. He has some skill though. He gave props to Deion Smith for committing to CU on twitter.

Since Hamilton plays the same position as Daylon Kountz does this mean we are no longer recruiting him. Or could Kountz be a possibility at point guard. Don't think we would take two shooting guards in the same class.

Since Hamilton plays the same position as Daylon Kountz does this mean we are no longer recruiting him. Or could Kountz be a possibility at point guard. Don't think we would take two shooting guards in the same class.

I haven't seen either play, but we lose King, Tory and Dom. Not sure if Hamilton replaces King, and I think we need to have a big. As long as Hamilton or Kountz is not a one-dimensional player (e.g. spot up shooter), I don't think there's anything wrong with taking two 6'4" guys though. Again, as long as one, or preferably both, can do multiple things - pass, shoot, dribble, etc. If Boyle is targeting only one though, I presume Tad would prefer Hamilton, as would most of us fans.

I might be wrong, but I think we have four scholarships to give out this next class. Strating is technically not on scholarship, so it could just be three. However, I'm not sure how strong that potential scholarship offer was.

I haven't seen either play, but we lose King, Tory and Dom. Not sure if Hamilton replaces King, and I think we need to have a big. As long as Hamilton or Kountz is not a one-dimensional player (e.g. spot up shooter), I don't think there's anything wrong with taking two 6'4" guys though. Again, as long as one, or preferably both, can do multiple things - pass, shoot, dribble, etc. If Boyle is targeting only one though, I presume Tad would prefer Hamilton, as would most of us fans.

I might be wrong, but I think we have four scholarships to give out this next class. Strating is technically not on scholarship, so it could just be three. However, I'm not sure how strong that potential scholarship offer was.
Strating is on scholarship this season. We'll see if he sticks. Our last 2 Euro players did not when they weren't playing a lot of minutes.

In terms of recruiting spots if our only attrition is graduation:

1. King
2. Dom
3. Tory

To me, that means a PG or Combo Guard, a Big and one "best player available".

Strating is on scholarship this season. We'll see if he sticks. Our last 2 Euro players did not when they weren't playing a lot of minutes.

1. King
2. Dom
3. Tory

The big should be the easiest to recruit. A true 5 man. The way Tad talks about Mckinley, my guess is it'll be hard to find a quality PG to come and compete. A big and two wings would be my guess. This is going to be a complementary class and I already know people are going to complain about the "drop off" in recruiting.

The big should be the easiest to recruit. A true 5 man. The way Tad talks about Mckinley, my guess is it'll be hard to find a quality PG to come and compete. A big and two wings would be my guess. This is going to be a complementary class and I already know people are going to complain about the "drop off" in recruiting.
I don't agree with the notion of "complementary" classes. My standard is the same: Top 150 level prospect or a transfer/JUCO who has proven productivity against college competition.

1. King
2. Dom
3. Tory

Thanks - thought he was still earning that scholly but good to know. Agree on who we should recruit.

Also completely agree that complementary classes are not something we should be satisfied with. Keep the talent coming and let them fight it out. Although, I do think I have slightly higher expectations than the rest of the board on who we should target and land.

Thanks - thought he was still earning that scholly but good to know. Agree on who we should recruit.

Also completely agree that complementary classes are not something we should be satisfied with. Keep the talent coming and let them fight it out. Although, I do think I have slightly higher expectations than the rest of the board on who we should target and land.
My impression is that you're pretty much where I am but you'd like to see us land a feature guy in that Top 50 range every year as an expectation.

My impression is that you're pretty much where I am but you'd like to see us land a feature guy in that Top 50 range every year as an expectation.

Exactly - I mean, I'm completely content with our last recruiting class; very happy with it. However, yeah, I do think we can dream a little bigger and a few of those dreams would become reality.

I don't agree with the notion of "complementary" classes. My standard is the same: Top 150 level prospect or a transfer/JUCO who has proven productivity against college competition.

Whether you like the notion or not, it's reality. I want all our recruits to be top 150 guys & productive transfers too. Unfortunately, it's never happened.

The core of the team for the next 2-3 years is already on campus. Unless that changes, 2018 will be a complementary class.

Whether you like the notion or not, it's reality. I want all our recruits to be top 150 guys & productive transfers too. Unfortunately, it's never happened.

The core of the team for the next 2-3 years is already on campus. Unless that changes, 2018 will be a complementary class.
I disagree. There's nothing about any of our 2017 signees that would scare Top 150 guys away from committing this November. Why would you think that or that Tad would recruit guys he wasn't expecting to become starters?

Last edited:
Tad has done a great job building a solid program at a school that has been a basketball wasteland. If have no complaints so far.

That said it is now time to take the next step and be a legit contender for a conference title most years. Doesn't mean they have to win it each year but they should be in the discussion most years. To do that we need to take a step up in talent. We need to be recruiting solidly top 150 kids and need to be getting at least a few top 50 kids on the roster.

We can complain about our offensive struggles and wings vs. PGs vs. big men but truth is that the teams we need to beat to win the conference and get high seedings in the tourney have better players than we do.

I disagree. There's nothing about any of our 2017 signees that would scare Top 150 guys away from committing this November. Why would you think that or that Tad wouldn't recruit guys he expected to become starters?

To some extent, I think there's a disconnect between how we're using the word complementary. A starting player can be a complementary player. We've had a bunch of top 150 guys who became nothing more than complementary players. At most, a team has 4 core players & that's a great team. Most teams have 2 & really good teams can have 3. By that standard, I would be thrilled if we added even 1 core piece in 2018 & I think it's unlikely.

There's only 10-20 programs that over recruit highly rated freshmen. To get more than 1 guy that fits your standard of top 150/productive transfer will be tough. Can you show me a Tad Boyle class that only had top 150 guys(using 247 composite) & productive transfers?

I don't understand your 2nd question. "Tad wouldn't recruit guys he expected to become starters?" Can you rephrase that or do you think I'm saying Tad will purposely avoid good players? Because no.

To some extent, I think there's a disconnect between how we're using the word complementary. A starting player can be a complementary player. We've had a bunch of top 150 guys who became nothing more than complementary players. At most, a team has 4 core players & that's a great team. Most teams have 2 & really good teams can have 3. By that standard, I would be thrilled if we added even 1 core piece in 2018 & I think it's unlikely.

There's only 10-20 programs that over recruit highly rated freshmen. To get more than 1 guy that fits your standard of top 150/productive transfer will be tough. Can you show me a Tad Boyle class that only had top 150 guys(using 247 composite) & productive transfers?

I don't understand your 2nd question. "Tad wouldn't recruit guys he expected to become starters?" Can you rephrase that or do you think I'm saying Tad will purposely avoid good players? Because no.
To clarify on what I think of as "complementary", I think of a guy recruited to come off the bench with a limited game that brings strength in a single role. Maybe he's a shot blocker. Or maybe he's a shooter. Or maybe he's an athlete who can lock down defend on the ball. But that one thing, whatever it is, is pretty much all there is to his game and you can't play him long stretches or he gets exposed.

I just don't see why recruiting should dip this year from Top 150 type guys. It's where they were with Peters and Siewert. It's where they were with the 2017 class except for the Euro recruiting. I believe that's they type of player we'll see for the 2018 class.

To clarify on what I think of as "complementary", I think of a guy recruited to come off the bench with a limited game that brings strength in a single role. Maybe he's a shot blocker. Or maybe he's a shooter. Or maybe he's an athlete who can lock down defend on the ball. But that one thing, whatever it is, is pretty much all there is to his game and you can't play him long stretches or he gets exposed.

I just don't see why recruiting should dip this year from Top 150 type guys. It's where they were with Peters and Siewert. It's where they were with the 2017 class except for the Euro recruiting. I believe that's they type of player we'll see for the 2018 class.

Originally, my talking points of falling off & complementary were only in relation to this 2017 class.

Siewert & Peters were fringe top 150 guys on Rivals. Their 247 composite were #179 & #180 and they were the headliners of a 4 player class. That's significantly different than the 2017 class. I am expecting the 2018 class to be similar to 2016.

Back