What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

3/15/ Friday Scrimmage Report

Tony is obviously fast. The one thing in his defense is EB was a run through the tackles type of coach. I don't know this for a fact, but I can't imagine him being pleased with RB's bouncing it outside, which is likely where Tony excels.

Powell had to make EB proud. A FR who can pound it between the tackles. Abron received a lot of garbage time where bouncing it outside wasn't going to set any coach off because the game was out of hand. But don't get me wrong, I really liked his game and think he's going to turn out to be a very good RB.

As for Tony, let's see if a different staff knows how to utilize his speed in meaningful game time situations.

^^This is all I am saying, lets not write off a guy until we know what we really have^^

Unfortunately I don't see any of our backs who in the words of Duff "screams #1 back." If we had one of those guys then this discussion wouldn't be happening. We are instead looking for the best out of a fairly limited bunch. Making things worse they played (or didn't play) in what may have been the worst offense in a major conference last year for coaches who seemed bound and determined to make everybody look bad.

If M2 decides that Tony isn't the answer, I'm good with that. He has so far proven to be a competent college coach. Let's let him evaluate and determine instead of having a bunch of internet experts decide.

^^This is all I am saying, lets not write off a guy until we know what we really have^^

Unfortunately I don't see any of our backs who in the words of Duff "screams #1 back." If we had one of those guys then this discussion wouldn't be happening. We are instead looking for the best out of a fairly limited bunch. Making things worse they played (or didn't play) in what may have been the worst offense in a major conference last year for coaches who seemed bound and determined to make everybody look bad.

If M2 decides that Tony isn't the answer, I'm good with that. He has so far proven to be a competent college coach. Let's let him evaluate and determine instead of having a bunch of internet experts decide.

Uhh. Powell? He would have easily pushed for 1000 yards if he played all the games. When was the last time that happened at CU?

Hopefully Powell can benefit greatly from actually being an RB only. From what I remember he actually had pretty limited carries in HS (behind Abron obviously) and played a lot of DL. He doesn't have that much game experience running the ball

My biggest concern with Powell is durability. His style last year led to him taking a lot of hard hits that could result in him missing games and shortning his career. Hopefully smarter coaches will be able maximize his effectiveness and minimize the wear and tear on him.

Uhh. Powell? He would have easily pushed for 1000 yards if he played all the games. When was the last time that happened at CU?

Powell was the best of the bunch statistically and had some games where he looked dominant. He also had some games were he didn't. Also note my injury concerns with him.

He might get there but I wouldn't label him as a great back. He does certain things very well but also has some limitations.

Long story short if we had to rank the RBs it would look something like this:

1. Powell
2. Abron
3. Jones
4. Ford
5. Creer

Not including Payne because he's ineligible, or Crowder because of the injury, and we haven't seen the incoming freshmen yet.

As for the list, could debate whether Ford should over take Jones but with a new system it's better to wait it out until fall practice before making that decision. Hopefully, the EB playbook of "RB draw up the middle for no gain" is long gone.

1. Powell
2. Abron
3. Jones
4. Ford
5. Creer

Not including Payne because he's ineligible, or Crowder because of the injury, and we haven't seen the incoming freshmen yet.

As for the list, could debate whether Ford should over take Jones but with a new system it's better to wait it out until fall practice before making that decision. Hopefully, the EB playbook of "RB draw up the middle for no gain" is long gone.
You can absolutely rank Ford over Jones and even Abron based on in game YPC/effectiveness.

1. Powell
2. Abron
3. Jones
4. Ford
5. Creer

From what I know about pistol offenses, Powell is not what you want as your every-down back. It calls for a guy who either catches balls out of the backfield and makes defenders miss with his speed or exploits huge holes (created by a lot of passing)...again with speed. In the pistol, you get running downhill, but it's not designed to blow up linebackers at the line of scrimmage. It designed to accelerate into the hole, make one cut when the defense realizes it's not a pass, and burn them with speed. Powell doesn't have that kind of speed.
HOWEVER, does Powell play a vital role on this offense...absolutely! Anything less than 2 yards, he better be in there.
If you'll remember, Powell's breakout game was against Sac State...not exactly a bastion of athletic excellence and they were still able to run him down from behind. Versus USC, Oregon, UCLA, Arizona...:huh:

From what I know about pistol offenses, Powell is not what you want as your every-down back. It calls for a guy who either catches balls out of the backfield and makes defenders miss with his speed or exploits huge holes (created by a lot of passing)...again with speed. In the pistol, you get running downhill, but it's not designed to blow up linebackers at the line of scrimmage. It designed to accelerate into the hole, make one cut when the defense realizes it's not a pass, and burn them with speed. Powell doesn't have that kind of speed.
HOWEVER, does Powell play a vital role on this offense...absolutely! Anything less than 2 yards, he better be in there.
If you'll remember, Powell's breakout game was against Sac State...not exactly a bastion of athletic excellence and they were still able to run him down from behind. Versus USC, Oregon, UCLA, Arizona...:huh:
USC - 14 carries 56 yards (4.0 average)
Oregon - 20 carries 121 yards (6.1 average)
UCLA - 7 carries 29 yards (4.1 average)
Arizona - 32 carries 137 yards (4.3 average)
Average - 18.25 carries 85.75 yards (4.63 average)

Looks like he did fine to me for having limited carries against UCLA

USC - 14 carries 56 yards (4.0 average)
Oregon - 20 carries 121 yards (6.1 average)
UCLA - 7 carries 29 yards (4.1 average)
Arizona - 32 carries 137 yards (4.3 average)
Average - 18.25 carries 85.75 yards (4.63 average)

Looks like he did fine to me for having limited carries against UCLA
I'd LOVE to be proven wrong. Powell is a stud! Still just not certain his style coalesces with the pistol (as the featured back).

I could see MM using a two back set with Pow on the field at all times. And a fast back next to him. That way we have better depth at WR, and pow can block and run.

I could see MM using a two back set with Pow on the field at all times. And a fast back next to him. That way we have better depth at WR, and pow can block and run.

So you mean the diamond formation or the offset I?

So your solution to not having any great running backs is to put all of them on the field at once?

So your solution to not having any great running backs is to put all of them on the field at once?
You have a issue with the diamond formation? Gives you loads of options to keep the D guessing. Read option, triple read option, right/left off tackle, dives, etc.

You can keep the d guessing out of just about any formation if you have athletes on the field. I don't think those three and any of our qb's in the backfield is going to scare anybody. That leaves you with p-rich and a tight end on the line and gt, jt, and spruce on the sideline.

You can keep the d guessing out of just about any formation if you have athletes on the field. I don't think those three and any of our qb's in the backfield is going to scare anybody. That leaves you with p-rich and a tight end on the line and gt, jt, and spruce on the sideline.

Obviously but the diamond gives you even more diversity than the standard pistol formation for reasons already stated plus the option for a play action pass. I guess I don't understand your issue with the diamond formation...

Yeah, I know, I was referring to FLounder's original post. In any case, count me as not a fan for this team.

Yeah, I know, I was referring to FLounder's original post. In any case, count me as not a fan for this team.
Well, let's keep it simple. I think we now have the personnel to run it with Prich back... but really, crawl before you walk.

Back