What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

3 years from now

3 years from now?

• Embree is still coach and we are "back"

Votes: 23 26.4%
  • Embree is still coach and we still suck

Votes: 15 17.2%
  • Embree has been fired

Votes: 16 18.4%
  • Embree has been forced to resign

Votes: 8 9.2%
  • We've hired a legitimate BCS coach

Votes: 19 21.8%
  • We've hired another CU alum or dud

Votes: 10 11.5%
  • We've hired Dave Logan

Votes: 2 2.3%
  • We've dropped down to a non AQ conference or FCS

Votes: 4 4.6%

• Total voters
I agree that two years might be jumping the gun, but I think we can start making good judgements after next season. We have a manageable non-conference schedule (don't even leave the state) and we likely do not have to go above .500 in conference play to get a bowl. With a team that will be returning a lot on offense and a fair amount on defense too, that is not an unreasonable expectation. If we are sitting here in December 2013 and there is no bowl game (under the assumption we do not make one in 2012), we are likely looking at two very bad recruiting classes in 2013 and 2014. What's the point of continuing the experiment at that point? To fulfill some mythical obligation to coaches?

Sorry if I think a former coach who has been out of the game for the better part of two decades should not be the deciding voice in the debate. I appreciate all Mac did for us in the past, but the program should not live or die by his word in 2012.

I agree 100%. But that's not entirely my point....my point was more along the lines that, while having been out of the game for 2 decades, he still knows more about the sport and the profession than any expert on here by a factor of 10. That in mind, one of his immediate assessments of the Embree hire combined with the state of the program at the time, was "patience"

Ill ask a question yall might not like, who is in charge for real? Idk kinda tough to fire the guy this quick. You guys know better than me and yes I care, wouldnt be here if I didnt. I just wanna know what the deal is. Is it the type of deal where they hate where the money comes from but theyll damn sure use it?

I agree 100%. But that's not entirely my point....my point was more along the lines that, while having been out of the game for 2 decades, he still knows more about the sport and the profession than any expert on here by a factor of 10. That in mind, one of his immediate assessments of the Embree hire combined with the state of the program at the time, was "patience"

He's not at all objective to make any determinations about Embree though. Do you think he can/will honestly make any real judgements about Embree's progress (or lack thereof) in the coming years? Of course not.

embree is going to get this year and next, no matter how craptastic it becomes. he's got 23 more games.

the question is what he does with them. i think he and eb are great Buffs and i hope they succeed big-time here. but, after that game on saturday, i have doubts. they were outcoached. big-time.

so, they have 23 more games to tell us who they really are. embree won't get another shot at hc if it goes like it did on saturday. eb won't get a shot at hc ever, if it goes like it did on saturday.

this is proving time. i want them to win to the core of my being. i've been a Buff my whole life. i'll be a Buff and sweat every win and loss long after these guys are gone. but, if they don't get their **** together immediately, we're going to be in for 2 years of suffering.

they need to step it up. it is easy to blame the lack of talent and experience and that is somewhat true. but, saban had his bama team in the nc game in year 2 with almost all frosh and sophs. is it really too much to ask that these guys deliver SIX ****ing wins? with fresno state, the sheep, and sac state on the slate? fer chrissakes, this was as close to a gimme season as these guys are going to see. this is big boy football.

win or GTFO.

sorry, but show me something.

No such thing as patience anymore man and what are we waiting for? I saw us get our ass kicked saturday, we got bitchslapped up front. Love me or hate me, Duff hates me for some reason, pretty obvious what the hell went on. Im asking about the higher ups, wtf is going on there? Just wondet why no one will answer me about that.

No such thing as patience anymore man and what are we waiting for? I saw us get our ass kicked saturday, we got bitchslapped up front. Love me or hate me, Duff hates me for some reason, pretty obvious what the hell went on. Im asking about the higher ups, wtf is going on there? Just wondet why no one will answer me about that.

you believe we have an admin in place that (a) is bold enough to make a quick change and (b) is willing to pay top dollar (5mm plus per year) for a proven hc?

i've got years of experience being disappointed in believing that anyone other than us die-hards gives 2 ****s about football at CU. i was hoping that the move to the p12 would change that. peer institutions, more similar academics, etc., but nope...

When the time comes to fire Embree and crew, I sure hope we don't keep half the coaching staff. Time for a clean slate across the board.

I said this at the time. Embree does not have a strong staff (along with crappy talent) Not a good combo

you believe we have an admin in place that (a) is bold enough to make a quick change and (b) is willing to pay top dollar (5mm plus per year) for a proven hc?

i've got years of experience being disappointed in believing that anyone other than us die-hards gives 2 ****s about football at CU. i was hoping that the move to the p12 would change that. peer institutions, more similar academics, etc., but nope...

Big Myths - Money solves problems 100% of the time and a proven Head Coach will solve all problems. I have watched CU hired a couple of supposedly proven HCs that have failed miserably...Fairbanks and Hawkins. And hire some unproven assistants that turned out fairly well (Crowder and Mac). Michigan thought they were hiring a proven winner in Rich Rod - Success at point A does not mean success at Point B.

You cannot hire someone and then not commit to let them implement what they are trying to accomplish. This season reminds me of the 2000 season where we started 10 true freshmen and 6 seniors. We struggled that year mightily but were building for the future. I hate what happened Saturday but the reality is this team is not were it needs to be yet because of youth and lack of talent. It is not going to happen overnight and hiring a new coach is going to not make it happen sooner either.

Big Myths - Money solves problems 100% of the time and a proven Head Coach will solve all problems. I have watched CU hired a couple of supposedly proven HCs that have failed miserably...Fairbanks and Hawkins. And hire some unproven assistants that turned out fairly well (Crowder and Mac). Michigan thought they were hiring a proven winner in Rich Rod - Success at point A does not mean success at Point B.

You cannot hire someone and then not commit to let them implement what they are trying to accomplish. This season reminds me of the 2000 season where we started 10 true freshmen and 6 seniors. We struggled that year mightily but were building for the future. I hate what happened Saturday but the reality is this team is not were it needs to be yet because of youth and lack of talent. It is not going to happen overnight and hiring a new coach is going to not make it happen sooner either.
:bang:

COACHING lost the CSU game. Not youth!

:bang:

COACHING lost the CSU game. Not youth!
This makes me feel good and bad. I feel like we are starting to get better players than we had during the Hawk era. I honestly believe that and gives me hope for the future if the staff can figure it out. The problem is I am not confident that our coaching staff will figure it out.

Knowing that Embree has more time left on his contract and also knowing that Bohn is going to allow him to carry on. I'll wait until this season is over to decide. If they can honestly show improvement over last year, I'll stay on the JE bandwagon. If not, then a new staff is needed.

Apathy is beginning to set in for a life long Buff fan. I cannot imagine what it is doing to the younger fan base.

i don't agree, b&g---

experience and talent may have been able to bail us out of a poorly coached game, but since we didn't have experience or enough talent, we needed a good gameplan and good execution. that's coaching.

it was clear to me, at least, which team was better prepared to execute and which team wanted it more.

as for "unproven" assistants--- Coach Mac was the top recruiter and d-coordinator for many years for one of the greatest coaches in college football (bo schembechler), at a school that was enjoying a reign of dominance. the equivalent now would not be elevating a great and loyal former Buff like je (who had never even been a coordinator) the hc job. the equivalent now would be hiring kirby smart from alabama.

does anyone really believe CU has either the will or the ability to land kirby smart?

csu made a good hire--- that guy can coach. we'll see if he can recruit. if he's any good, he'll leave for greener pastures within a few seasons. meanwhile, unless our guys find their inner lombardis soon, we're going to be in the cellar.

i remain hopeful for a turnaround, but it is going to take a breakthrough at this point.

Back