What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

30 for 30 "The Gospel According to Mac"

By comparing him to Bill Cosby?

Not to speak for Burrito too much but by saying be careful building heroes. I love coach Mac and I think Burrito's Cosby comment might go a bit too far but people used to idolize Cosby in a similar manner.

Not to speak for Burrito too much but by saying be careful building heroes. I love coach Mac and I think Burrito's Cosby comment might go a bit too far but people used to idolize Cosby in a similar manner.
you can always speak for me.

If it is a typical 30 for 30, then it's going to be a lot more than a puff piece.

There's the record you can't deny. There's the way he inspired people that's undeniable.

But I expect that there will also be the problems with drink and fidelity before he found religion, the issues with CU being viewed nationally as a dirty program during Mac's tenure, the political stances (even from the CU podium) that would likely get a coach fired in this day and age, the near-decision to leave for SMU, the family issues with out-of-wedlock pregnancies involving players, and the ill-timed departure from CU on Salaam's big day that occurred not long after signing a lifetime contract with CU.

There's a lot of meat on this bone outside of just being a Hall of Fame coaching legend.

I'm sure a lot of other well known successful coaches had failings similar to Mac's. Difference is Mac was always an open book. Great/admirable thing about Mac was he never seemed to hide from those failings.

I am very interested to see how it plays out. I believe he was an honorable man, you always knew where you stood with him. Unfortunately my personal experience with him wasn't ideal, but that doesn't take away from all the good he did for the school and in his life, and for the chosen others.

This film is going to try to nail him on alleged hypocrisy and "bigoted" beliefs. I'll watch, but I'm not looking forward to it.

If CJ is an exec producer I'd hope it wasn't just a damming film. I guess we'll see.

If CJ is an exec producer I'd hope it wasn't just a damming film. I guess we'll see.
Me too, that would be boring
beaver.jpg

Is this what the Sal Aunese documentary, born to lead, has turned into or is this completely different?

I wonder what Mac's former players think of him? My guess would be they love the guy. But that's just a supposition on my part, I guess.

If it is a typical 30 for 30, then it's going to be a lot more than a puff piece.

There's the record you can't deny. There's the way he inspired people that's undeniable.

But I expect that there will also be the problems with drink and fidelity before he found religion, the issues with CU being viewed nationally as a dirty program during Mac's tenure, the political stances (even from the CU podium) that would likely get a coach fired in this day and age, the near-decision to leave for SMU, the family issues with out-of-wedlock pregnancies involving players, and the ill-timed departure from CU on Salaam's big day that occurred not long after signing a lifetime contract with CU.

There's a lot of meat on this bone outside of just being a Hall of Fame coaching legend.
01e48907d3c6b96ce86502794307abec0cea29f0205a492fad96d2db426354cc.jpg

Full respect for him and everything....but "love".....not so much..
Reminds me of a guy I knew that raced for Carrol Shelby in the 65 GT 350 R models. He respected CS, but didn't like him all that much. It was Carrols way or the highway and the guy said 'He was an unrelenting asshole who didn't suffer fools gladly. But he won, and won big, so you were happy to be along for the ride even if you hated him at times.'

Back