What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

4-5-2 defenses

All of this talk about an advantage that the Buffs may have by facing teams that primarily run a 4-2-5 is over looking the Buffs greatest advantage....

Cody will be wearing a visor.
:lol:

I swear to god you guys have one hell of a memory for useless zingers!

YSWJPNDKSRLCKNC.20090401044208.jpg
DOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOM

This is true, to a point. If a team practices against a spread, and for 10 weeks out of the year is playing against a spread or some variation of it, then when an opponent comes out and lines up in a power I, they won't have the personnel to adequately defend it. They may have the numbers, but not the expertise.

I think that's what we're going to see. If teams are recruiting tons of DBs in order to run a 5 man secondary as a primary set, they are going to have to go thinner elsewhere (see Skippy Neuweasel era for examples). They are probably not going to be as deep up front on D. And even if they are, another advantage to a power running game is that teams that are used to defending against finesse spread type schemes seem to tend to wear down pretty badly late in the game if they have been pounded all game, when they aren't used to that...

apparently it is a privilege granted by hawk to players that meet a certain "difficult to achieve" criteria...what a deal! :lol:

And generate a pass rush. Extremely important when playing man to man. the DB's cannot hold coverage for more than a few seconds. Playing press coverage will work, especially against these spread offenses that depend on WR's being in specific places at specific times. Get them off their routes and you can be effective. If you don't do that, well, you get blown out 58-0. :cry:

If our corners can play press effectively than we can blitz a lot more, and presto! A pass rush. Forcing quick throws along with press coverage will lead to a few long td passes for the other team but it will take away all those bubble screens and short out routes that killed us against, say, missouri. not to mention that having guys attack the line of scrimmage will make it harder to run against us.

If our corners can play press effectively than we can blitz a lot more, and presto! A pass rush. Forcing quick throws along with press coverage will lead to a few long td passes for the other team but it will take away all those bubble screens and short out routes that killed us against, say, missouri. not to mention that having guys attack the line of scrimmage will make it harder to run against us.

Blitz against Colt McCoy and he will murder you. The key is generating pass rush from the front 4. Frankly, I'm not convinced we have the horses to accomplish this, and it concerns me.

Blitz against Colt McCoy and he will murder you. The key is generating pass rush from the front 4. Frankly, I'm not convinced we have the horses to accomplish this, and it concerns me.

McCoy will have one of the best olines in the country next year so blitzing against him will certainly lead to Texas TDs. However, if we do that against other teams, like KU, I think it'd put us in a good position for us to do very well and win some of those games.

McCoy will have one of the best olines in the country next year so blitzing against him will certainly lead to Texas TDs. However, if we do that against other teams, like KU, I think it'd put us in a good position for us to do very well and win some of those games.

Blitz Reesing and he'll murder you, too. Dood breaks contain and takes off for 30 yards because the guy who would have tackled him was trying to blitz.

Bad idea.

Question would be, as others have pointed out, would they necessarily have the personnel to be effective against the run, especially if they've been recruiting for and spending the bulk of their practice preparing for spreads? It's one thing to run big bodies out on the field; it's quite another for them make plays.

This is true, to a point. If a team practices against a spread, and for 10 weeks out of the year is playing against a spread or some variation of it, then when an opponent comes out and lines up in a power I, they won't have the personnel to adequately defend it. They may have the numbers, but not the expertise.

Were only talking about 1 or 2 players here. If a team uses the 4-2-5, they've already got the 4 d-linemen on the field. They'd be subbing in an LB for the nickleback, and possibly (at an extreme), one safety with run-stopping skills for one whose prowess is pass defense. That's not a huge difference in personnel.

The only difference is in the type of players they would recruit. If they face several spread o's, their d is prolly built with faster/quicker players who are more suited to combatting the spread instead of the straight ahead, downhill pounding of a more traditional offense. This could play to the Buff's advantage.

Blitz Reesing and he'll murder you, too. Dood breaks contain and takes off for 30 yards because the guy who would have tackled him was trying to blitz.

Bad idea.

UT showed how to dismantle KU. Yes, they did have a dominate DL, but they blitzed him constantly as well. UT also did not have as good of a secondary as we did last year either so I think we put pressure and have solid corner play we can take him out. The LBs need to be able to contain him as well for this to work though and last year that unit underperformed.

UT showed how to dismantle KU. Yes, they did have a dominate DL, but they blitzed him constantly as well. UT also did not have as good of a secondary as we did last year either so I think we put pressure and have solid corner play we can take him out. The LBs need to be able to contain him as well for this to work though and last year that unit underperformed.

Here's the thing about blitzing Reesing. If you do it, you need to have one guy blitz and another guy contain. That occupies two defensive players. That's a numbers game you want to avoid, IMO.

Here's the thing about blitzing Reesing. If you do it, you need to have one guy blitz and another guy contain. That occupies two defensive players. That's a numbers game you want to avoid, IMO.

Perhaps. Of course, it would be nice to see the Buffs keep containment for a change. Lucas consistently got caught too far inside the last couple years. So frustrating to watch a veteran DL continue to make freshman year mistakes.

It would be nice for the Buffs' front four to generate some pressure on it's own for a change. Dear Lord I hope Obi and Herrod can do something this year.

If we do go to the 3-4, the contain will be better. add to that a compliment of delayed blitz schemes from LBs up th middle and I think we will be able to get QBs out of the pocket and out of their confort zone (exception: McCoy & Reesing) and hopefully generate some sacks/interceptions.

If we do go to the 3-4, the contain will be better. add to that a compliment of delayed blitz schemes from LBs up th middle and I think we will be able to get QBs out of the pocket and out of their confort zone (exception: McCoy & Reesing) and hopefully generate some sacks/interceptions.

:confused:

Are McCoy and Reesing really out of their comfort zone when they're out of the pocket?

Back