1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

4 Team Playoff Consensus shaping up (ACC Commish)

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Highlander, Jun 19, 2012.

1. Highlander

Highlander Club Member Club Member

http://espn.go.com/college-football...eves-colleagues-reach-four-team-playoff-model

I would be delighted if they would use the 4 major bowls as the round of 8, then semi-finals, then the championship game. As much as I want to read what he is saying that way, I don't think that is what he means, unfortunately.

2. Highlander

3. GoBuffs08

GoBuffs08 Well-Known Member

As long as they put a high priority on conference champion it might work. I'm seeing SEC demanding 2-3 teams every year because they are the SEC.

4. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

Screw conference champions, it should be the top 4 teams.

5. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

Yeah, and how do you know who the top 4 teams are? The top 4 teams will be SELECTED by HUMANS, making it a contentious issue just like the current BCS format. I love the top 4 conference champions as long as they finish in the top 6, otherwise the next highest ranked team is selected. Still biased though...

6. tante

tante Club Member Club Member

My jaw dropped at 400 to 500 million.

7. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

OK, so instead let's take the ACC champ who has 4 losses, for example. Or a 6-6 UCLA team who happens to upset a 1-loss Oregon in the conference championship game. :rolling_eyes:

It'll end up being some sort of compromise, either what you said above, the top 4 conference champs as long as they're in the top 6. Or the more likely scenario, which will be the top 3 conference champs and 1 at-large team.

8. buffedup

buffedup Cooler than a Popsicle Stand. Club Member

I should clarify that I only agree with the conference championship model as long as it is the top 6 criteria. Think 2001.

9. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

I'm sure all these points, and other contentious issues are being discussed. Will they come up with reasonable solutions? I have no idea.

I do like where this is heading, tho. If a champion can truly be determined on the field, and the bowl games can remain viable and important, then this is a win all around.

10. HotRack

HotRack Rez BubbleHead Club Member

Since when the does the Notre Dumb AD carry the same clout as a conference commissioner? Gawd, I hate ****ing Notre Dumb. Barely a .500 record in the last decade and their AD has as much leverage as a conference commissioner? ****ing Bull****...

11. Highlander

If we end up with anything much different from this on an annual basis, the system will be no less flawed than what we have today. I was really hoping they were to go with a four team playoff after the bowls, effectively setting up the top 4 bowls today as a round of 8. Oh well, baby steps...

12. rosstr

rosstr Well-Known Member

So is this Larry Scott's first defeat in college football politics?

1. No special consideration is given to the Big 4 conferences.
    2. No requirement for conference champions.
    3. No games on college campuses.

Disappointing from the Pac12/Big10 perspective.