What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

5 Things To Look Forward To and Five Things To Worry About

Gold turf? Black turf? Man, you guys have no creativity.

What we REALLY need is platinum white turf with a giant airbrushed image of Ronald Reagan's head on it (preferably one that stretches from end zone to end zone), and maybe he could be smoking a pipe and whenever the Buffs scored points the pipe would spew out a bunch of steam. Also, Chip should be changed into a unicorn and the cheerleaders should throw sausages into the crowd after touchdowns.

I don't know what the NCAA's problem is, improving college football is EASY.

yeah, and I'll have what he's having...
I'm looking forward to the Buff invasion of Jacksonville...Tampa would have been cooler, sacky at Mon's Venus would have been the stuff of legends.

Fun thread here. Ok here are my 5 and 5:

Look forward to:
1) The emergence of a dominant running game. There were nice moments in '07. Interesting to see how fast we "run with authority" again as Mac would say.
2) Cody - was a freshman... seemed awesome in some games, not too great in others. What will the Sophomore year bring?
3) Hypolite leading the DL, then the band in a fight song after whuppin ass.
4) Some new or redshirt frosh tearing it up out there. Could be D Scott, could be others. The way Hawkins motivates and requires year-round dedication to exercise and development, we are going to look more experienced than the numbers of underclassmen might suggest.
5) Going for it on fourth down. Hey, I prefer a gambler to a stick-in-the-mud.

Worry about:
1) Field goals. Will the new Mason Crosy please step forward?
2) Replacing Dizon. We have the horses, but still, 150+ tackles to replace.
3) Stubborn play calling. When the handoff to the wide-reciever in motion is zero for ten attempts at kicking up decent yardage, try something else?
4) Pass defense. T Wheat was one of our key losses, but we have some speed.
5) Pressuring the other team's quarterback more. Nuff said.

I read the potential positive for the AD of going to field turf is in the range of 1.5-2.0 million dollars anually, I cant find the damn article now, but if thats the case I am all for it.

I read the potential positive for the AD of going to field turf is in the range of 1.5-2.0 million dollars anually, I cant find the damn article now, but if thats the case I am all for it.

I think mens tennis only needed 300K per year to survive. dump the grass and go to the turf :thumbsup:

How much would it cost to tear out the existing grass and install the field turf? If the cost savings is $2MM/Yr, but it costs $15MM to install it, and it needs to be replaced every 7-8 years, then we're not really saving anything at all.

How much would it cost to tear out the existing grass and install the field turf? If the cost savings is $2MM/Yr, but it costs $15MM to install it, and it needs to be replaced every 7-8 years, then we're not really saving anything at all.

Doubt it's that expensive. We wouldn't consider it if it didn't save us money.

Doubt it's that expensive. We wouldn't consider it if it didn't save us money.

Hmm... I'm not sure... my high school did it a couple years back and it was in the range of ~$600K. I'm not sure if it would be a different quality or if insignias cost more or anything, but that is probably a good "ballpark" figure to start with.

On the other hand, if we go turf, then no one can ever witness (as did I) the hippy contingent of the Buffs fans smoking some of Folsom's grass with their own after rushing the field. True Story.

On the other hand, if we go turf, then no one can ever witness (as did I) the hippy contingent of the Buffs fans smoking some of Folsom's grass with their own after rushing the field. True Story.

I remember after 62-36 I was down on the field with my buddy's brother (who had graduated in 96) when he abruptly kicked a giant chunk of sod out of the field with his heel then tried to eat it, dirt and all.

That was one of the stranger things I've ever seen, but I guess that really embodies the sort of insanity-producing euphoria that the 2001 game was able to produce :thumbsup:

I actually have a piece of the turf from the 62-36 game at my house. Weird, but I just can't bring myself to get rid of it.

Isn't the Bolder Boulder paying for the installation of the turf if we end up switching. And/or paying a percentage each year...??

I actually have a piece of the turf from the 62-36 game at my house. Weird, but I just can't bring myself to get rid of it.

I still have a can of field marking paint that I heisted from SMU's stadium the night before the 2001 B12 Championship game. I can guarantee you I'll never ever EVER get rid of that memento.

Isn't the Bolder Boulder paying for the installation of the turf if we end up switching. And/or paying a percentage each year...??

I think so. The Bolder Boulder needs to bring in all this stuff to place on the grass to keep it from dying during the race. I suppose if they felt like they could save some money from not doing that, they could afford to offset some of the costs of the installation of the new turf.

I remember after 62-36 I was down on the field with my buddy's brother (who had graduated in 96) when he abruptly kicked a giant chunk of sod out of the field with his heel then tried to eat it, dirt and all.

That was one of the stranger things I've ever seen, but I guess that really embodies the sort of insanity-producing euphoria that the 2001 game was able to produce :thumbsup:

That is awesome!! I have to meet that dude!:thumbsup::lol:

I still have a can of field marking paint that I heisted from SMU's stadium the night before the 2001 B12 Championship game. I can guarantee you I'll never ever EVER get rid of that memento.
What does paint from the SMU stadium have anything to do with the 2001 Big 12 Championship?

I once heard a tale about a guy who took the grass from the center of his table at the recruiting luncheon in 2007. He is a poster here, maybe he will read this and surface for a little bit.

What does paint from the SMU stadium have anything to do with the 2001 Big 12 Championship?

SMU's in Dallas, and the Big 12 Championship was at Texas Stadium that year. Our cheap motel was right across from SMU's stadium, we were drunk and under 21, so we did what we had to do :thumbsup: :lol:

Look forward to:

1. A big time running game again. We've just been shut down too often ever since Brown and Purify graduated
2. Who will start at QB. I think in the end it will be Hawkins but I'm looking forward to the competition
3. Seeing how we improve on next years recruiting class. It will be hard to do but I'd sure like to see it. Showing well in the first five games will help here I think
4. Seeing how many of this year's recruits end up playing. I expect a bunch
5. An 8-4 regular season with a win at their bowl game. I think the Buffs can do it and winning that bowl game boosts recruiting

Concerns:

1. We got killed through the air last year and this has got to stop if we are really going to get to the next level again. (Evidence:Carpenter 269, Reesing 20 -29, Daniel 421, Ganz 484, Wilson 256) And how many long yardage thirds downs did we give up last year?

2. No improvement over the previous year. I don't care about youthful mistakes or a brutal schedule this team has to be better than last years team. No measurable improvement would hurt just about every good thing that is happening to the football program right now. We need to build on the momentum we have in a big way.

And how many long yardage thirds downs did we give up last year?

Believe it or not, this was an area where we improved dramatically over the previous year. This is one of the things I pay close attention to. I don't have statistics in front of me, but believe me, we did much better at this in 2007 than we did in 2006.

Believe it or not, this was an area where we improved dramatically over the previous year. This is one of the things I pay close attention to. I don't have statistics in front of me, but believe me, we did much better at this in 2007 than we did in 2006.

That is frightening.

Good to hear but I think we still have a ways to go.
There were too many times when I was ready to jump through the screen and break up the pass myself last season

I think our biggest issue last year was a lack of a consistent pass rush from the front four. I'm *hoping* we're able to generate more of a consistent rush from guys like Obi and Herrod next year. The loss of Perri, while ultimately probably good for the team, will hurt us in this area.

I'm with you on that. I'm "hoping" too.

I think maybe some good blitz packages with these all world linebackers we just recruited might help the pass rush too.

Whatever it takes we've got to slow down some of these passing attacks

In 2006 how many times did we rush 3 and even sometimes drop one of the DL to zone when it was 3rd and long? We didn't do that nearly as often this past year as we did in 2006.

If we get consistent pressure with our front 4 this upcoming year I never want to see 3 guys on the line. Dropping 8-9 guys and putting them in zone and letting a QB have all the time in the world to throw is disastrous.

I pay attention to it as well. I think 3rd down offense/defense and red zone offense/defense tend to tell a lot about your team. Here's the Big 12 rankings (conference games only) for 2006 and 2007:

3rd down offense-8th
3rd down defense-12th
Red Zone offense-11th (tie)
Red Zone defense-7th

3rd down offense-11th
3rd down defense-2nd
Red Zone offense-8th
Red Zone defense-12th

I am not against this. The artificial surface has come a long way since the carpet CU used to have. Another thing is they could use CU for more concerts and other events. Not a bad way for the AD to make some cash for our teams.

Don't get me wrong. I love the grass. But if installing a artificial surface makes the buffs more money then I'm all for it. :thumbsup:

It won't. The university won't use Folsom for more concerts regardless of the surface. When we had turf before we had 3 concerts the last five years we had turf, we passed on the Rolling Stones tour in 1989, and for several years they wouldn't even use folsom for spring graduation to "protect" the turf. And the city threw a fit after the Paul McCartney show in 1993, and stadium tours are rarer and rarer, etc. And remember, if the turf take a couple of million to install, the yearly depreciation on the turf would almost cancel out the reduced maintenance costs. And the new turf, while less evil than the old kind, takes more maintenance.

Besides, that d*** turf cost us a chance at the national title in 1995 when Koy Detmer tore up his knee non-contact against Texas A&M.

Last edited:
A real shame that we did not win it all in 1994....that was a great team across the board

The Michigan game is still an all time great and the Nebraska game one of my most dissapointing days. Why we did not throw the ball against NU I still don't know. Guess mac wanted to make a point about how good our running game was. Still pissed about that one. :sad2:

I was so pissed that day. 94 was the season we were supposed to win our 2nd MNC!! For some reason Mac decides he's going to run on kNu who had one of the best Run-D in the nation. Sure we had Salaam but TO knew to stack the box. It worked, we didnt score until the 4th qtr when we finally started passing. By then it was too little too late, we were way behind and couldnt recover. Man, I am still pissed about that game, and it's one of the many reasons I still hate the cornholers.

It won't. The university won't use Folsom for more concerts regardless of the surface. When we had turf before we had 3 concerts the last five years we had turf, we passed on the Rolling Stones tour in 1989, and for several years they wouldn't even use folsom for spring graduation to "protect" the turf. And the city threw a fit after the Paul McCartney show in 1993, and stadium tours are rarer and rarer, etc. And remember, if the turf take a couple of million to install, the yearly depreciation on the turf would almost cancel out the reduced maintenance costs. And the new turf, while less evil than the old kind, takes more maintenance.

I see your point. But i don't think the turf will be as expensive to maintain than grass. Wasn't it a couple of years ago when some kind of mold infected the entire field? I believe they had to resod the entire field over again. I don't see that being too cheap. If FieldTurf was more expensive than grass then why would other colleges switch to turf? There are some pretty big time schools on the fieldturf list. Even some NFL teams.

I also thought the Counting Crows concert was at Folsom? No?

Last edited:
The Michigan game is still an all time great and the Nebraska game one of my most dissapointing days. Why we did not throw the ball against NU I still don't know. Guess mac wanted to make a point about how good our running game was. Still pissed about that one. :sad2:
The Texas game was pretty sweet as well. I was sitting in the middle of a bunch of our UT friends in Austin. Of course, the Longhorns were not that great then (and their fans were not so arrogant, either). I long for those days.....

Back