What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

5th year senior transfers for football, why not?

jwhite17

I posted this on another board, but it is relevant here too:

Thinking about it, Oregon bball has been exploiting this rule since Altman started coaching them and using them successful, why can' t Mac do the same in football till we can get back to bowl eligibility. I believe Jordan Webb used this rule to come here and play right away, but I'm not talking about getting a QB, but instead, skill guys.

There are tons of players that are unhappy in college football, unhappy with their coach, unhappy with their school, unhappy with their GF, etc...... why not start renting these players for one year with immediate eligibiliy to help our team out, especially the skill positon guys. We need a influx of talent in the upper class in the worst way.

It would be way easier to get them in than JCs, and they would come in as experienced and talented players. IMO, I'd rather depend on a 22-23 year old WR than a 19 year old one.

Thoughts?

I don't believe you can recruit or contact a player on another team roster until they have been released. Otherwise it is an idea most would get on board with.

I disagree there are a ton of players. There are a few. First the players has to have graduated within 4 years (does not always happen). Usually they are a one and done. I do not know of many since the rule went into effect that have made any impact - Russell Wilson is about the only one that comes to mind.

Sure. Be opportunistic. Whether that means finding a JUCO, Sr Transfer, Underclassman Transfer, Mexican Kicker, Baseball Pitcher with Upside, Grayshirt from Another Program, etc. Just find talent and fix this ****ing thing.

Great idea, lets start printing flyers and passing them out around campus'...Road trip!

Great idea, lets start printing flyers and passing them out around campus'...Road trip!

I believe the plural of campus is "campi." I'm with Monk and Nik, love both ideas.

I recall a thread about trying to get Wilson to transfer here. There were plenty of people who didn't think he was actually worth it, so be prepared for the negative ninnies if a name should surface. I don't think Mariota or Mannion will be looking to transfer to Boulder for a graduate program.

Russell Wilson was an extremely rare case of a guy who was both torn between playing two sports that he was extremely good at (as in next level good) and **** on by a new incoming regime. That's rare enough, and even then the way he came in, took over and won almost immediately was rare as well.

I can't imagine there are many guys in the nation who are in his situation. Most players that have stayed that long either want to finish their careers out where they started or didn't see playing time for a reason. Most guys who are crowded out transfer well before they've actually got their degree.

Russell Wilson was an extremely rare case of a guy who was both torn between playing two sports that he was extremely good at (as in next level good) and **** on by a new incoming regime. That's rare enough, and even then the way he came in, took over and won almost immediately was rare as well.

I can't imagine there are many guys in the nation who are in his situation. Most players that have stayed that long either want to finish their careers out where they started or didn't see playing time for a reason. Most guys who are crowded out transfer well before they've actually got their degree.
All true although you are also thinking about a starting QB.

What about say a #4 or #5 WR at Alabama, Florida (insert your BCS School name here) or the backup center at (insert your BCS name school) who may not have been deemed good enough to start at those teams but would be a huge upgrade to what we have at some of those positions at CU-virtually guaranteeing a starting spot. And if they aspire to get seen by NFL teams it could be attractive to them to have a year starting at another BCS school.

I think it works for skill position guys. Trench guys need time in the system, IMO.

Russell Wilson also went to a Wiscy team that had hopes for a MNC shot. Not too far to bring him into this discussion, although there are probably guys we could get. But the coaches can't talk with them unless they are released from their scholarship anyway.

All true although you are also thinking about a starting QB.

What about say a #4 or #5 WR at Alabama, Florida (insert your BCS School name here) or the backup center at (insert your BCS name school) who may not have been deemed good enough to start at those teams but would be a huge upgrade to what we have at some of those positions at CU-virtually guaranteeing a starting spot. And if they aspire to get seen by NFL teams it could be attractive to them to have a year starting at another BCS school.

Jarrod Darden at CU - he is at Wyoming and still not playing much. There is no guarantee.

My impression is that usually if a kid is really good enough to play he is going to be playing enough at his current school to be happy, especially since he already has the relationships with coaches and teammates.

Rarely you migh get a kid who transfers for academic reasons, More often they don't get along with somebody where they are at. What makes you think they will get along at the new place. Third option is that they aren't playing because they really aren't that good.

BB is different because you can build and adjust a new "team" each year based on changes in talent available. Football usually takes more time to fit guys in.

I don't know that you build a program bringing in guys who are going to be productive for you for less than a season based on needing time to fit in.

Jarrod Darden at CU - he is at Wyoming and still not playing much. There is no guarantee.

For what ever reason in football most of the guys who are in the position to transfer for a senior season aren't going to make much of an impact, they are leaving because they are getting no PT and have been replaced by younger more skilled players.

I think our best bet is to go after transfers who get buried on the depth charts at places like Texas, A&M, Bama, Michigan, Notre Dame, etc...

Back