What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

87.7 The Ticket

I did hear part of the conversation. I thought JK brought up an interesting point that Ceal Barry is always on the WBB search committee, but no one of similar stature (i.e. FB knowledge, former HC) was involved in the current FB HC search.

I know you're just repeating what JK said but that's a stupid comparison. Ceal Barry is the Associate AD at CU. She left the HC position in good standing (obviously) and stayed with the university. It makes perfect sense that she would be involved in finding a WBB coach. I don't think there's a former FB HC in the AD that I'm not aware of.

Let's also face the reality that the FB HC position is much higher profile than the WBB HC position.

I know you're just repeating what JK said but that's a stupid comparison. Ceal Barry is the Associate AD at CU. She left the HC position in good standing (obviously) and stayed with the university. It makes perfect sense that she would be involved in finding a WBB coach. I don't think there's a former FB HC in the AD that I'm not aware of.

Let's also face the reality that the FB HC position is much higher profile than the WBB HC position.

i think you could maybe should make the opposite argument. Ceal's teams were slipping, and she had a lot of attrition from top recruits...i'll just say it, from african-american players who didn't like Ceal. and they didn't like CU. realistic, and dealing with nearly a thousand CU students, i can get that. true or not is not the thing. i'm not saying Ceal is a racist, no way, but things were kinda bad at the end for Ceal.....i know this first-hand from a former student.

why should a former FB HC be in the search? if he was so good.....why is he former?

"The only reason you [professors] have a job, the only reason you have students, is because of the marketing arm of the university that is the Athletic Department, and the football team is the Athletic Department."

That may not be an exact quote, but it is pretty darn close.

Wow, Joel come back to reality please.. That's just wow, I can't believe how anyone can think like that.

Well, I have also heard they now have a policy that AD employees can no longer be on search committees. How new that is I don't know, but I think what JK was getting at was the lack of anybody who has direct FB knowledge on the committee, when that has been the case for WBB. I am not too concerned with the make up of the committee. I just thought JK had an interesting point.

i think you could maybe should make the opposite argument. Ceal's teams were slipping, and she had a lot of attrition from top recruits...i'll just say it, from african-american players who didn't like Ceal. and they didn't like CU. realistic, and dealing with nearly a thousand CU students, i can get that. true or not is not the thing. i'm not saying Ceal is a racist, no way, but things were kinda bad at the end for Ceal.....i know this first-hand from a former student.

why should a former FB HC be in the search? if he was so good.....why is he former?

As I said above, I took JK's point to be there was nobody who had a FB background. Former HC's or AC's might be beneficial to the committee. They would have a different perspective. Either way, I have a sneaking suspicion the committee is just for political cover and a decision has already been made.

look, I hate Klatt as a journalist (wasn't too fond of him as a player either, but he played for the program which is more than I can say for myself - props to him for that), as I think he's just a moron. He consistently comes off as a decently spoken idiot.

But, is that quote of his true? That's sounds completely ludricous...its so arrogant, egocentric and preposterous that I imagine that the quote was sort of hyperbolized?

As I said above, I took JK's point to be there was nobody who had a FB background. Former HC's or AC's might be beneficial to the committee. They would have a different perspective. Either way, I have a sneaking suspicion the committee is just for political cover and a decision has already been made.

i like Joel. and i had a colleague who had Joel in a class who was really anti-athlete....and she/he thought Joel was actually a pretty smart guy. i remember this. but, Joel doesn't know dick about how a university works. from a FB background, maybe a point there. But, Joel like to spout off on a hella lot of things he has no first hand knowledge about. like the easy metaphor of the CEO blah blah blah. so, i'm not sure exactly how Joel has cred?

look, I hate Klatt as a journalist (wasn't too fond of him as a player either, but he played for the program which is more than I can say for myself - props to him for that), as I think he's just a moron. He consistently comes off as a decently spoken idiot.

But, is that quote of his true? That's sounds completely ludricous...its so arrogant, egocentric and preposterous that I imagine that the quote was sort of hyperbolized?

Everything Klatt says is hyperbole. He says **** just to get a rise out of the listener. I suspect he does not actually believe it, but he said it and continues to make arguments that make him sound like a dolt. His beef, which I think is valid and even agree with, is that there is no one with a football background. But he takes it to the next level, trashing the entire committee and launching borderline personal attacks on them. He's right up there with Keith Olberman and Glen Beck on the hyperbole-o-meter.

i like Joel. and i had a colleague who had Joel in a class who was really anti-athlete....and she/he thought Joel was actually a pretty smart guy. i remember this. but, Joel doesn't know dick about how a university works. from a FB background, maybe a point there. But, Joel like to spout off on a hella lot of things he has no first hand knowledge about. like the easy metaphor of the CEO blah blah blah. so, i'm not sure exactly how Joel has cred?

As others have said, I think JK is just playing a role, CJ can't be the heavy since he still gets paid by the AD, so JK does it. I don't imagine he has a hard time playing the role, but his schtick is probably way farther out on a limb than what he really thinks.

I meant that Ceal Barry wasn't fired and didn't ditch CU for another school. I realize that the programmed slipped quite a bit during the end of hear tenure as HC.

Please Joel, shut your trap before you completely destroy your second rate broadcast career. I liked you when you played at CU but since then it's been nothing but mindless trash talking. Grow up you angel haired dickwad! I really hope Cody doesn't pass you in the record books it would be just too hard on your dim witted mind.

Please Joel, shut your trap before you completely destroy your second rate broadcast career. I liked you when you played at CU but since then it's been nothing but mindless trash talking. Grow up you angel haired dickwad! I really hope Cody doesn't pass you in the record books it would be just too hard on your dim witted mind.

woah

Holy cow man! So angry!

I didn't hear the quote so I couldn't speak to it one way or the other. But, Klatt's dad was one of my assistant principals in high school for a year or two, and listenting to Joel talk brings up some annoying memories. Let's just say Beltway's post doesn't surprise me. I'm not trying to attack or bad mouth Klatt's dad, but I can remember times when Mr. Klatt was speaking, and both teachers and students would look at each other wondering what the hell he was talking about.

I like Klatt when he gets off his soapbox and is just normal. Him and CJ play off each other well and can be entertaining. He's a good color analyst for Fox imo.

I didn't hear the quote so I couldn't speak to it one way or the other. But, Klatt's dad was one of my assistant principals in high school for a year or two, and listenting to Joel talk brings up some annoying memories. Let's just say Beltway's post doesn't surprise me. I'm not trying to attack or bad mouth Klatt's dad, but I can remember times when Mr. Klatt was speaking, and both teachers and students would look at each other wondering what the hell he was talking about.

I like Klatt when he gets off his soapbox and is just normal. Him and CJ play off each other well and can be entertaining. He's a good color analyst for Fox imo.

You didn't happen to go to Standley Lake did you?

Graduated in '95.

I was a freshmen. Crazy small world.

Funny thing about gary klatt was when my freshmen football team played Pomona and he gave a speech on how much he hated Pomona. 2 years later he was the head coach at pomona.

I do agree that Klatt is a good color guy. Especially compared to some of the other dickwads on Fox affiliates.

JK has developed his stupid on air personna and is overdoing it. He can be really engaging and funny when he wants to be. I think he doesn't like Bohn. He also ripped the Boyle hire. Not Boyle himself so much, but the process. So, he obviously thinks Bohn doesn't know how to search for and hire coaches.

As for having a "football guy" on the committee: Bohn has PLENTY of football guys to talk too. Plus, former players would be way too close, emotionally, to be objective.

I was a freshmen. Crazy small world.

Funny thing about gary klatt was when my freshmen football team played Pomona and he gave a speech on how much he hated Pomona. 2 years later he was the head coach at pomona.

I was in the same class as Scott Zimmerman if you remember him.

Klatt was at Pomona for awhile before he came to Standley, and may have been their coach when they won the state title in the late '80s. Wasn't a bad guy at all, but definitely had his pompous side.

azbuff said:
I do agree that Klatt is a good color guy. Especially compared to some of the other dickwads on Fox affiliates.

:nod: @ the bold.

He speaks well on air, and obviously is knowledgeable of the game.

I was in the same class as Scott Zimmerman if you remember him.

Klatt was at Pomona for awhile before he came to Standley, and may have been their coach when they won the state title in the late '80s. Wasn't a bad guy at all, but definitely had his pompous side.

:nod: @ the bold.

He speaks well on air, and obviously is knowledgeable of the game.

I actually know Joel's sister pretty well. The whole family is a very nice family. They also marry up. Not saying they are ugly but all of their spouses are a good 2 or 3 points above them.

I think Joel feels like he needs to stir the pot a little. It brings in higher ratings. I just hope he doesn't go full douche mode and become a Marrioti type.

I just hope he doesn't go full douche mode and become a Marrioti type.

Mariotti: jesus. i remember being so hungover about 10 years ago. pass out in your clothes, with the lights on kinda night. i lived at 20th and Spruce in Boulder. standing in my underwear, the next morning, waiting for the coffee maker and looking out the window....listening to Mariotti on AM KKFN drone on about something and thinking: "this is what it has come to, Mick?". too hungover to even yank it and go back to sleep.

Jay Mariotti sucks. total dickface.

I haven't listened to Jim Rome in years, but it's interesting to note how wealthy and well-known he is, based on his constant, repetative BS. The fact JK gets the response he does here, means he's earning his pay.

Go Buffs

Back