1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A couple of threads of possible interest to Buff fans

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by superdeluxe, Feb 22, 2010.

1. superdeluxe

superdeluxe New Member

First, Scott Woodward talked about a possible merger witht he Big 12 (at the bottom of the blog):
    http://seattletimes.nwsource.com/html/huskymensbasketballblog/2011140851_ucla_game_threa_5.html

Boise State thinks its a better fit for Pac-10 than Utah/Colorado, states it has the 2nd best football tradition (better than colorado, BYU, A&M)

http://boisestate.scout.com/2/948181.html

2. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

Interesting info, but are you really in Puyallup? I used to live in Kent...long ago. Welcome aboard.:thumbsup:

3. superdeluxe

superdeluxe New Member

Yes I am, Kent? Did you grow up there? or live there later in life? :)

4. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

@ Boise State...gtfo the grown ups are talking.

5. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

Amen!

6. SBG

SBG Formerly known as EFNMB Club Member Junta Member

Boise a #2 at football tradition in the region? They've only been a 1A team now for 10 years or so. They've never competed day in and day out against the likes of OU, NU, UT and A&M. One or two games a year isn't the same. Hell, this CU team shows up for one or two games a year. They'd become the whipping boy in the Pac10 among Wazzu. Great coaching staff, but I don't see them being Pac10 champs anytime soon.

Someone photoshop the BSU AD or BSU scout writer ala Baghdad Bob.

7. Liver

Liver modded mod Club Member Junta Member

i don't have a problem with bsu pitching themselves. they aren't going to be a part of the process. they don't have the academics or the budget or the tv market.

i could CU getting left out if the p10 can lure ut and atm. then, we'd have to hope for the superconference thing, with CU and utah also joining, and probably 2 other schools (ou and someone else, maybe?). i wonder... if the p10 were to go "superconference 16" then maybe they even take a chance on okie state (natural rival for ou and have committed tons of $ to upgrade and such). okie state is probably a stretch, but maybe they do it?

if the p10 goes to 16 with the schools above, then maybe the b10 goes to 16 by adding mizzery, the fuskers, pitt, rutgers, and one other. the p16 and b16 would be some damned impressive superconferences.

then, the sec would have to go to 16 as well, i think. that leaves at least one other superconference out there, ready to be made. i just hope we land in the p10 and don't have to wait for the assembling of the league to-be-named later. the tv money will be better, by far, if we land in the p10 than in some amalgamation of the left-behinds.

8. dply

dply Doble hoja Club Member

It all makes sense now......Dan Hawkins was brought in to kill our program to get BSU into the Pac-10. (Sorry DBT)

9. SuperD

SuperD Club Member Club Member

Wow...I get that they love their program and want to play with the big boys but after reading that article and their forum posts I think a lot of Boise fans are delusional, can't really fault them for wanting to take the step up though. There is no way that the PAC-10 brings in a new commissioner and deputy who's specialties are tv negotiation and marketing and their recommendation is going to be..."Boise....Boise State is the ticket to the athletic revenue promise land!" Demographics are a @!#$ but we don't live in a fantasy land, just like CU fans have to come to terms with the fact that we will probably never have the rabid passion and booster support of a Michigan or Texas, Boise has to come to terms with the fact that their best shot is to try and get into the MWC and to hope that conference doesn't get raided to the point where its can no longer make a credible bid for automatic status.

Even if the demographics weren't so stacked against them do we really thing Stanford, Cal, and UCLA are going to vote to admit a school whose best academic claim to fame is U.S. News and World Reports "Ones to Watch" list. Stanford originally voted no on Texas.

10. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

If the Pac takes UT, I'd just assume we stay put and take our chances with a new conference.

11. Liver

that's a bad move for us, financially. if the p10 decides to only go to 12 teams and they add ut and atm, then we are in for some trouble. losing that tv market is huge. we are going to be relegated to second tier money if that happens. the b12 can't replace ut and atm at this point--- at least not with teams that bring as many tv sets to the equation... not even close.

when and if the b10 and p10 get done splitting up the world, what is left of the b12 is going to be in deep crap.

now, on the other hand, this rumor of a possible p10 and b12 tv alliance makes some sense. that would be a large footprint and the basis of a good tv network. but, doesn't it feel more like the p10 and b10 are cooperating (they are historical partners) rather than the b12 and the p10?

12. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

IMO, if the Pac10 takes UT and aTm, leaving CU where we are, we are screwed. The B12 will continue to spiral down as OU simply can't carry the water alone. We'd likely become an eventual member of a second tier conference a la CSewe and WY....

13. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

If UT and A&M go, we are in a tough spot, I'll admit that. However, losing UT would not be the end of the world, IMO. At the end of the day, I really don't see a scenario where UT goes to the Pac, but I could be wrong.

If we're going to take another conference team with us, take OU.

14. buffaholic

buffaholic Club Member Club Member

As soon as UT leaves the B12, that opens up the door to take any of the B12 schools so I don't see them stopping with UT and aTm.

here's the real power play:
    Add 7 teams from the B12 and omit WSU (or maybe even OSU) - as they add little in terms of TV audience. The B10 can have the rest. Maybe add Utah and/or BYU and the rest are from the Big12.

15. unionbuff

unionbuff Club Member Club Member

Pac-10 isn't going to kick anyone out - it's all about additions at this point - not subtractions.

16. Darian3Hagan

Why would Stanford change their vote this time around on UT?

17. ScottyBuff

ScottyBuff Well-Known Member

Because even Stanford is in a bind financially right now.

Stanford Athletics Announces 13% Staff Reduction

In the meantime since 94 UT has improved their overall academic reputation as well, but the financial benefits to the Pac-10 schools will be the main driver, IMO.

All of them are facing big-time cuts due to shrinking endowments, lower donations received, etc. etc.

18. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

Ummm, one of the schools in those "most mentioned" is conspicuously missing from the first table comparing distance to schools. As already pointed out, their football "tradition" is pretty short-lived. It's pretty easy to question the attractiveness of Boise vs Boulder, so they attempted to limit that argument to weather. Okay, whatever. I'll have to take their word for the overall AD. I don't have a problem with BSU pumping their school, either, but this attempt was poorly executed. Are they really pushing the fact that they won the Junior College championship? :rofl:

19. ScottyBuff

ScottyBuff Well-Known Member

The fact that only the Boise St fans/writers/admin are the ones seriously suggesting the Broncos are a good Pac-10 school, as opposed to nearly every national sports writer proclaiming the CU Buffs as an "obvious" target of the Pac-10 should speak volumes.

20. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

While it would be bad for us, the thought of UT/A&M jumping to the Pac-10 cracks me up, A&M especially. aggy would be even more lost than they already are. Holy ****, talk about a clash of cultures.

21. Liver

i think it would be epic to see the aggie corps interact with the berkley tree worshippers. as much as our Buffs are a poor cultural match for the b12, imagine the hilarity of aggie visiting ucla, stanford, cal, etc.

still, i am concerned about the p10 wanting ut so badly that they will take atm... i don't want CU to get shut out by all these tejas machinations.

22. Junction

Junction Moderator Club Member

Boise State DOES have more football tradition than any other candidate for the Pac-10. Because football, as we all know, was invented in 2003... :rolling_eyes:

Visited a buddy up in Puyallup for a few days 3-4 years ago. Really nice place, IMO. Although if I had to try to get anyplace by going through town on the main thoroughfare very often I think I'd probably kill somebody... Other than that, I loved the feel of the town. :thumbsup:

23. Hugegroove

Hugegroove Club Member Club Member

I would like to think that the P10 as a whole, would review what the B12 has been through over the years and what problems were created by a couple of texas schools trying to force their will on the B12 powers so they could have their way. I know $$$ talks, but using it for leverage is pretty underhanded and almost to the point of blackmail. If Texas and aTM were to bolt, my guess is that the loss of revenue to them would be nominal campared to how deep their pockets already are. They of all schools in the B12, could afford to take the hit!

24. SINKRATZ

SINKRATZ Club Member Club Member

Boise NEEDS to beat their drums for this because in the long run the deck is heavily stacked against them.
    Blue turf and 10 years of good football does not qualify as tradition.
    Their academics and small market is going to leave them on the outside looking in with all this conference realignment.

25. Creebuzz

Creebuzz Club Member Club Member

Easy solution. They take UT and leave us out, cut off water supply from Colorado River to southwest as punishment. :smile:

26. Darian3Hagan

I understand Stanford's financial issues but I think that would make them even more leery of Texas. If they can make more money than they do now with Utah and CU they will pull the trigger (which I believe they already have).

27. superdeluxe

superdeluxe New Member

economics are different this time around
    We actually have a forward thinking commish, that might show the $$$ of adding Texas

28. UrbanaBuff

UrbanaBuff Member

And said commish's understudy used to work for the Big XII, right? So they either hate UT, or they love UT. We will see...

29. superdeluxe

superdeluxe New Member

He was the former Big12 commish.

30. unionbuff

unionbuff Club Member Club Member

Exactly. And I believe I've read somewhere (prob in one of these threads) is that he left the Big XII in part because of his frustration in UT's refusal to revenue share and them voting against forming a Big XII network. Something tells me that he's not going to want to deal with their demands again.