1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

a few brief observations...

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by Liver, Sep 20, 2009.

1. Liver

Liver modded mod Club Member Junta Member

after watching the tape...

our team speed really is a huge issue. if wyo had more players, it would have been a different game, of course. wvu, ut, and ku will be revealing, i think.

do you think hawk would be so sensitive to criticism if he actually HAD been successful in the bigs before? i mean, he's going off on the press and fans and such and saying they don't understand coaching. i think he's over-sensitive given his background.

i still don't understand the player personnel choices at all. you have to get your athletes on the field. they'll make plays if you let them.

2. buffsyko

buffsyko Club Member Club Member

Correct, you want more speed?

Simas,simmons,wright,major,rippy,lockridge, scott. Play these guys more and the others who aren't in this group less.

3. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

amen, brutha. We have speed, it's just not on the field. They could have run that toss sweep to Lock & Speedy all day long and scored 50 points had they wanted to. I still have to wonder about the decision making of this staff.

4. SkiTownUSA

SkiTownUSA Administrator Club Member Junta Member

Which is why we need a new one. I've been trying not to be a negative nancy, but the win over Wyo wasn't convincing, not having the best athletes on the field during games seems to be killing us.

5. SCB

SCB Well-Known Member

I am as confused as the rest of you. Why do we recruit these guys if DH won't play them. If the offense is so complex a frosh/soph can't figure it out, that's on DH. Head ball coach has to figure out a way to get his best athletes on the field and in the mix.

6. SINKRATZ

SINKRATZ Club Member Club Member

It was good to see Major finally on the field - that late hit call on the QB was garbage.

7. GoBuffs08

GoBuffs08 Well-Known Member

It might have been late......I was just happy to see someone on D hit anyone on the other team.

After the first two games I was not sure if the D understood that they were allowed to hit the other team.

8. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

9. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

On this point I completely agree.

I am not gonna fault or discredit the two teams that did beat us. We were effectively dismantled twice and we were clearly the inferior team on the field on both occasions. In other words, we've only proven so far, to be good enough to beat the number 7 team in the MWC.

From here on out were playing the supposedly superior BCS caliber programs. Well I have often thumbed my nose at that idea because schools like BSU and Utah have demonstrated they can capture lightning in a bottle the over all talent and coaching are a notch higher. The majority of the teams we will face from here on out will be much tougher than Wyoming was.

10. SkiTownUSA

What wasn't? :confused:

11. MiamiBuffs

it

PhillyBuff likes this.
  12. GoBuffs08

GoBuffs08 Well-Known Member

:lol:

13. SkiTownUSA

I get worried about bcs' mental health sometimes.

14. PhillyBuff

PhillyBuff Club Member Club Member

creative... I dont think i have ever repped you... funny rep :thumbsup:

15. PhillyBuff

PhillyBuff Club Member Club Member

the hit by Major was not out of bounds...

it was so close that reasonable persons would disagree on this... the Wyoming player's feet were definitely NOT out of bounds... they were actually in the air on the way out of bounds....

16. MiamiBuffs

So 'it' is his mental capacity - err mental state of mind. :smile2:

17. NYbuffDIEHARD

NYbuffDIEHARD Active Member

Why would they run that when they can give it to Sumler for a solid 1 yard gain everytime?

18. Dunken

Dunken Member

so maybe the guys with speed are on the sidelines to get water to the starters faster.....because for the life of me, I cant figure out why you would keep talent and speed on the side

19. FlatironsBuff

FlatironsBuff Club Member Club Member

What was stated in other threads (and maybe PMs,-- I can't remember) is that Hawk basically has the issue with a short QB who has to throw to a spot without seeing if the WR will be there, so they have to know that the WR running the route is running the correct one. And right now, the coaches (from what I have heard) do not trust the faster guys to know were to be on every play. And if you run the fast guys out but they only can run 5 plays, the d will learn that real quick and can stay on top of it.

Simas may be the exception; I would expect him to know all the routes, but the first game he could ahve played, he was hurt.

I chatted with Scott today, he is good to go and healthy and said he will play against WVU. I am VERY interested to see him and Speedy and Lockridge all working in concert.

20. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

One cannot help but wonder if the necessity for timing patterns is driven by the lack of ability to look for the WR and hit him with the ball wherever he is. Put another way, do you think a WR will break off a route and do something different if pass protection breaks down? Or will the ball simply be thrown away? Do you think there are any variations from the set play? I cannot say for sure, but I have harbored the suspicion that the pass game relies almost exclusively on the inherent timing advantage the WR has because he knows what route he is running. My suspicion is that is so because there is no option for improvisation because of reasons I'm sure everyone, including the D, can guess....

21. buffs04

buffs04 Well-Known Member

So basically our passing game is limited to slants and other "timing routes" because our QB is too short to see what's going on, so he blindly throws the ball to where he thinks his one receiver that he locked on to before the play even started is going to be?

This is why we can't play our more talented WRs?
    Laughable.

That is the definition of a QB problem, not a WR problem.

22. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

Somebody give evidence to the contrary, because that pretty much sums up what I see...

23. buffsfan01

buffsfan01 Member

i been saying that for years play your playmakers hawk...your the head coach and get into there faces if there not playing well and do it on the sidelines during the game please i wanna see it...go buffs !!