What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

A fresh look at Aric Goodman

High school doesn't count! :lol:

Whew, that's good to know. So please disregard the following.

Goodman high school (Cherry Creek)
2004 made 13 of 20 Field Goals.

Zach Grossnickle high school stats (Denver East)
2008 made 12 of 13 field goals

Justin Castor, high school stats (Arvada West)
2009 made 15 of 24 field-goal attempts

Whew, that's good to know. So please disregard the following.

Goodman high school (Cherry Creek)
2004 made 13 of 20 Field Goals.

Zach Grossnickle high school stats (Denver East)
2008 made 12 of 13 field goals

Justin Castor, high school stats (Arvada West)
2009 made 15 of 24 field-goal attempts
Don't high schoolers kick off a pad?

Can anyone name a kicker at the college or pro level in the last 20 years who has had accuracy issues like Goodman who has actually turned it around to become a dependable kicker? I think gameday kicking accuracy is like one's IQ score - you'll never see it significantly improve.

OK, you are the coach. You have, say, 4th and 9 from the 28. You are saying go for it instead of try a 45 yard FG?

Go for it. I'd rather see our coaches loosen up and play like a team with nothing to lose (like we are).

Don't high schoolers kick off a pad?

Some do and some don't. Kip Smith used a tee on his infamous 67-yard field goal.
Zach Grossnickle didn't use a tee - he came from that soccer background and didn't want an extra object on the ground messing with his contact with the ball.

But it really depends on the coaching and kicker's experience. Better kickers usually migrate away from a tee or pad by their senior year so they can transition better at college.

Ok so, are you pretty high on Castor AJ? And is it fair to think a true freshman kicker should be able to come in and play right away?

Don't know much about Castor, but he is intriguing because he was more than a kicker/punter. He played several positions (I think WR, but don't quote me.) So he seems athletic, big plus. Another plus there is that intangible thing that he really wanted to be a buff that is in his favor. As far as playing right away, I hope we don't need him to. I want to see Kirkwood get a few chances first, whether or not Goodman kicks. And I have a feeling Grossnickle will lock on to punting and that will not be an issue.

But of all the positions possible, a skill position such as kicking or punting lends itself better to true freshmen. I would like to give Justin the year to get acclimated to conditioning, the speed of the game, being at college, if we can afford it. It would mean the other guys on the roster are doing their part. And it would create separation between Castor and Grossnickle; otherwise they will graduate the same year.

OK, you are the coach. You have, say, 4th and 9 from the 28. You are saying go for it instead of try a 45 yard FG?

At this point? Barring a few specific scoring and timing situations, going for it or punting is worth looking at.

AG has a problem between his ears. You should kick the ball the same way no matter were you are at on the field. No matter the distance or hash, you should use the same tempo, same stroke, same leg speed. Everything the same ALWAYS! In his career the stats show a drop off beyond 40 when under 40 is good. It is in his head. He is trying to hard and defeating the purpose!

Can anyone name a kicker at the college or pro level in the last 20 years who has had accuracy issues like Goodman who has actually turned it around to become a dependable kicker? I think gameday kicking accuracy is like one's IQ score - you'll never see it significantly improve.
Remember the Oregon kicker that won the Groza over Crosby? He sucked the year before. Remember his infamous game against LSU where he cost Oregon the game? Well, the next year, he won the Groza WHICH STILL PISSES ME OFF! I'll say this, almost all his kicks the year he won were from less than 40. Crosby's misses were from, probably, longer than 45.

Well according to the camera, Goodman had hip surgery today so who knows what might happen. I'll be tuned in the next few days to see what they say it is. If it's something bad, this could settle the issue for good though.

Remember the Oregon kicker that won the Groza over Crosby? He sucked the year before. Remember his infamous game against LSU where he cost Oregon the game? Well, the next year, he won the Groza WHICH STILL PISSES ME OFF! I'll say this, almost all his kicks the year he won were from less than 40. Crosby's misses were from, probably, longer than 45.

Oregon State, for the record. I'd be offended if somebody messed that sort of thing up in the state of Colorado.

Back