What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

A letter to the people calling for Embree's head.

Inexperience is only part of the issue. And part of it is sending a nickel blitz while the corner gives a 15 yard cushion, leaving an easy completion. Part of it is giving the only kid on the offense with legit P12 speed about 10% of the snaps, putting the ball in his hands all of 3 times (all of which produced 10+ yards). Part of it is giving up on the run in the 2nd quarter after being stuffed once. Part of it is calling a screen pass on every ****ing 3rd down. While the talent is not at the level we want, the talent that is on the roster is not being put in positions to succeed. And that doesn't even mention some of the recruiting failures from a staff that was built to recruit.

Thanks Jaximus, it would be nice to have an adult conversation in here without all the vitriol.

Stating that Embree "isn't capable of winning as a D1 coach" is a strong conclusion without much corresponding reasoning. Maybe he is or maybe he isn't... I think at this point there is evidence on both sides of the argument. (he beat a weakish Utah team and lost to Sac st)

Jaximus never said that bad coaching wasn't a contributing factor. All he said was there was long standing problems we need to factor in. And he supplied some evidence for our improvement in the future if the coaching improves.

Mattrob listed some good questions. I hope we can talk about those too and not just express our rage (as justified as it may be)

I am really concerned that Embree and his staff is in over its head, but I'm not sure sacking him is going to accelerate our reemergence as a respectable program. I'm going to start a separate thread so we can hopefully have a thoughtful discussion about the staff.

:lol: You don't take your football seriously enough, bro.

There comes a time when it's painfully obvious a staff is WAY in over its head. We are well beyond that point. That's really all that needs to be said. No warping of "youth" explains a home loss (yes, honestly surprised Bohn didn't have us on the road) to a team that will finish 9th in the Big Sky

Last edited:
Obviously not. If I'm not scratching out my eyes or setting myself on fire then I can't be a true buff fan....

as they say, a sense of humor is a sense of perspective, you seem to be keeping yours ok :lol:

Look, year number two, Embo is doing less with more, getting beat by a far less talented, first year coached CSU team that is getting run by a D1aa team. Then Embo continues the practice of doing less with more by getting done at home by a D1AA team with 11 returning starters, a new OC, and one that got beat by 30 by one of the worst D1 teams out there.. NMSU. He can't do it. If he could he wouldn't have gotten bent over in his home opener like that. Next.

Last edited:
Patience or no patience. This school is stuck with Embree. Until they want to pony up and start being competitive with pay, they are not going to do any better. And if they fire Embree now, there will be ZERO chance of getting a better coach in here. What decent coach would go to a school that doesn't pay, doesn't have any talent, and the fans are so impatient that they fire a guy after his first season with another guys talent.

We will just have to hope that Embree is laying the ground work for better days. We will just have to put faith in him, because we dont have much choice.

Patience or no patience. This school is stuck with Embree. Until they want to pony up and start being competitive with pay, they are not going to do any better. And if they fire Embree now, there will be ZERO chance of getting a better coach in here. What decent coach would go to a school that doesn't pay, doesn't have any talent, and the fans are so impatient that they fire a guy after his first season with another guys talent.

We will just have to hope that Embree is laying the ground work for better days. We will just have to put faith in him, because we dont have much choice.

Ummmmm.... not sure if serious....

Obviously not. If I'm not scratching out my eyes or setting myself on fire then I can't be a true buff fan....

as they say, a sense of humor is a sense of perspective, you seem to be keeping yours ok :lol:

I was about to make a "dark" joke about what "true" Buffs should do after an 0-12 season, but i'll refrain

It's becoming harder to come up with excuses. Still think Embree deserves a chance to right the ship this year, and if the team shows any sign of life... he should be retained for another year. But an 0-12 or 1-11 finish is a pretty tough sell there.

Letting go of Embree, likely means 2-3 years at least of even being relevant.

Literally anyone would be better. A ****ing staff composed of allbuffers (assuming bigbang and tini weren't on it) could beat Sacramento State

It's becoming harder to come up with excuses. Still think Embree deserves a chance to right the ship this year, and if the team shows any sign of life... he should be retained for another year. But an 0-12 or 1-11 finish is a pretty tough sell there.

Letting go of Embree, likely means 2-3 years at least of even being relevant.

And not letting Embree go means 2-3 years of sucking ass and winning 1 or 2 games a season and THEN waiting 2-3 years to even be relevant.

Based on what we've seen, what does keeping him mean?

We don't really know. Again, the team is very young especially on the offensive side of the ball. Most of the players on the team aren't Embree's players, or they are freshmen. Embree's only had one recruiting class. That's the problem.. we fire Embree, a lot of the young players on our team will likely leave. If it happens at the end of the season, it's going to be 2 seasons before the new coach has his first recruiting class. Likely 4 years before we can adequately judge him.

It ONLY makes sense if we can lure an elite coach to the program. Which means that we'd be willing to pay for said coach. If you're convinced that there's no way an Embree led team could have Colorado in bowl games, then it's a move that you make.

All I can say, right now, is that we haven't played to our potential in the first two games. Still holding out that they show some signs of life to other teams in Pac-12 play

we need to cut bait. He's in over his head, he's a bust, and this turd of a staff isnt going to get better with age. We might have some decent talent there, what we need now is a real coach to turn them into a cohesive force.

Embree is the second coming of John Blake. After they fired Blake they eventually got stoops. We're due for a decent coach now, AFTER Bohnhead is fired first of course AFTER Benson retires and the new Prez from a major FB school decides he wants to bring back a winning tradition or at least the major donors tell him that's his focus.

penalized 5 times for 50 yards, that's the least since Barnett

oh yeah Saffert is a BCS level player,,,nice eye for talent dip****

penalized 5 times for 50 yards, that's the least since Barnett

oh yeah Saffert is a BCS level player,,,nice eye for talent dip****

Shut the **** up this team lost to a FCS team today. No matter how you try to slice it, it's embarrassing.

We don't really know. Again, the team is very young especially on the offensive side of the ball. Most of the players on the team aren't Embree's players, or they are freshmen. Embree's only had one recruiting class. That's the problem.. we fire Embree, a lot of the young players on our team will likely leave. If it happens at the end of the season, it's going to be 2 seasons before the new coach has his first recruiting class. Likely 4 years before we can adequately judge him.

It ONLY makes sense if we can lure an elite coach to the program. Which means that we'd be willing to pay for said coach. If you're convinced that there's no way an Embree led team could have Colorado in bowl games, then it's a move that you make.

All I can say, right now, is that we haven't played to our potential in the first two games. Still holding out that they show some signs of life to other teams in Pac-12 play

It's fine to keep playing the "we are really young" card on offense, but it raises two major concerns that are not easily explained away:

1. How were we so bad on offense last year with veterans? We were dead last in the PAC-12 with experienced players at most positions. We had some injuries along the way, but it still does not explain why we averaged under 20 points a game.

2. What is the future for the offense? I think we can reasonably assume that Thomas, Powell, and Richardson are all going to be major pieces, but what else do we have? Who is the QB? I keep hearing about the "potential" of McCulloch from some posters. When are we just going to admit he is pretty much the same player he was when he stepped on to campus? Spruce looks to be another piece down the road, but where does he fit next season?

The point being, it is nice to talk about the future as some grand concept, but I am really having a hard time figuring out how it is all going to magically click next season.

It's fine to keep playing the "we are really young" card on offense, but it raises two major concerns that are not easily explained away:

1. How were we so bad on offense last year with veterans? We were dead last in the PAC-12 with experienced players at most positions. We had some injuries along the way, but it still does not explain why we averaged under 20 points a game.

2. What is the future for the offense? I think we can reasonably assume that Thomas, Powell, and Richardson are all going to be major pieces, but what else do we have? Who is the QB? I keep hearing about the "potential" of McCulloch from some posters. When are we just going to admit he is pretty much the same player he was when he stepped on to campus? Spruce looks to be another piece down the road, but where does he fit next season?

The point being, it is nice to talk about the future as some grand concept, but I am really having a hard time figuring out how it is all going to magically click next season.
:nod:

Didn't get to see the game and don't care to now.....Sacramento State got killed by New Mexico State and we can't beat them? Time for a new coach, new assistants and a new AD since he is 0-2 in his football hires. Can Tad Boyle coach football too?

Back