What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

A letter to the people calling for Embree's head.

Actually fielding a young team is a problem. When you field a young team, you don't win unless you have Alabama type talent. Have as much heart as you like. When a 18 year old faces a 22 year old with four years of lifting and training in a college program, he is going to lose. You look at alabama's freshmen and they look like they're 26. Our team looks young, very young. They look like kids.

Actually fielding a young team is a problem. When you field a young team, you don't win unless you have Alabama type talent. Have as much heart as you like. When a 18 year old faces a 22 year old with four years of lifting and training in a college program, he is going to lose. You look at alabama's freshmen and they look like they're 26. Our team looks young, very young. They look like kids.

I never said that the team being young was not a problem. I said that the team plays with no passion and that has nothing to do with how young or old the team is. Yes, we will need to mature and get more talent before we can contend, but we need to play with fire and heart or none of that other stuff will make a real difference. It didn't help us today when we played D2 size and talent. Embre can't get the team to do that and he's had more than enough time to change that. Giving him more time just puts us in a deeper hole.

Last edited:
I never said that the team being young was not a problem. I said that the team plays with no passion and that has nothing to do with how young or old the team is. Yes, we will need to mature and get more talent before we can contend, but we need to play with fire and heart or none of that other stuff will make a real difference. It didn't help us today when we played D2 size and talent. Embre can't get the team to do that and he's had more than enough time to change that. Giving him more time just puts us in a deeper hole.

Actually you did say the team being young was not a problem.

Embree's recruits, Hawkin's recruits blah blah blah blah!!!! None of that matters!!!!
This team has no heart! That is a coaching problem. Not a we are a young team problem.

Well when you don't know what you are doing half the time, it is hard to get all pumped up and confident. Mainly because you are thinking too much and not reacting. I assumed that was self explanatory saying the team was young. When you are getting knocked on your ass and you are confused, hard to rally and give your braveheart speech. Leaders develop with experience. Also the teams confidence develops with experience.

I don't give a rat's ***** about 'The Future'. Losing to Sac State when your a Pac 12 team is in-excusable. This staff can't coach!!!!! Period!!! Don't believe this 'Future' crap people. Our top coaches Embree, Bienemy and Brown suck!!! Hands down they suck!!!

Sorry...but this is what happens when you allow a bunch of former players, alumni, and school donors to make a decision on the head coach. We have to keep it in house. We need to bring back the "Buff way". Bricks and player parades. **** like that.

If this team doesn't make a miraculous turn-around (and they won't), I think Embree will resign. If he loves this program, he'll pack it in and try to save the current class and keep as many of the young guys on the team as possible. It doesn't matter how young the team is, or how much potential these guys may have as coaches. None of that matters. Because when your team is in a funk like this, the coach loses the team. The players aren't going to listen to the motivation, because it hasn't worked before. The magician only has so many tricks, and the audience isn't going to sit around to watch him do them again.

O-Line - Wow. I stated that we have an FCS line and I'm not far off. Outside of Bahktiari, we need major help. Our guards suck. Harris looks good and then bad. I can only hope that Embree's recruits develope fast here. Building a successful program starts up front and it appears to be our worst position. 100% made up of Halkins leftovers by the way.

D-Line - Pericak is a beast. But he is all we have now. The freshmen appear to have potential but they're freshman and this position is impossible to come in and dominate right away. Future looks bright. Again, that is the FUTURE.

I'm not sure that Embree and staff are the greatest gameday coaches. Some of the play calls have been questionable at best. But they can't make the players more talented. their scouting and recruiting has looked promising. They are going to get a couple more years and I'm fine with that. At the very least, the next coach will be inheriting a much better team.

With all that said, will some of you chill the **** out please?!?

Strong post. I'd agree the one of the cornerstones of our problems is the bare cupboard Hawkins left us with. Giving him that extra year was just dumb.

In coaching youth soccer I see what your talking about. We have some kids that are talented and skilled. And we have some that are clueless. I have to work with what I'm given by the league. There no extra players, no bench that can go to that's any better.

Last edited:
Just so we are clear, Embree gets a pass for the offensive line because he is forced to play with all Hawkins recruits? How do you explain Embree's comments about offensive line not being a big need in the 2012 class? We took one player (not counting Kough since he is not here yet) and Embree said he did not take more because we did not graduate many guys.

Either he severely overeestimated the returning talent or he failed on the recruiting trail. Or both. Not sure you want to be trying to defend him in this area.

Curious... I couldn't watch the game cause of damn direct tv but i did keep up in score mobile. How many bad calls did the coaches call this game? So far Im hearing that this coaching staff can't coach and they can't recruit yet it seemed like on both sides of the ball the freshman class made an impact. FB and WR positions were topped by freshman.

What i see is the same team that was there last year is still there, minus a few and that the expectation is for a complete makeover just because you want it as a fan. Life has never worked that way. It kicks you in the ass on a regular and the only way you learn from it is the bruises. A whole team of talent did not change overnight. There is progress but it gonna be ugly. For those that have been saying since December that 2013 was gonna be the year and not 2012, that was realistic.

Funniest thing i heard after last game... A few Texas kids were at the game and their biggest observation was that CSU fans didn't sit down the whole game. Interesting...

Strong post. I'd agree the one of the cornerstones of our problems is the bare cupboard Hawkins left us with. Giving him that extra year was just dumb.

In coaching youth soccer I see what your talking about. We have some kids that are talented and skilled. And we have some that are clueless. I have to work with what I'm given by the league. There no extra players, no bench that can go to that's any better.
What if your whole team plays flat and uninspired every game? They quit when challenged by the other team. Is that a talent proble? No, it's a coaching problem. This is why Embre must go.

It could be worse, we could be Winsconsin right now.

I am being pretty harsh, but people on here need to face the fact that Colorado isn't exactly a blue blood program. Its a two star program right now. Fire Embree and they will simply be faced with the same problem again. Gambling on an unproven coach because they won't pay for top talent. The problem starts at the top. Until they commit to being a a top football program and invest the resources to do that. This program will continue to struggle.

Your good at reading the tea leaves.

Programs like Alabama and OU go out and find a Bob Stoops or a Nick Saban. There are forces at work in the admin that are behind those decisions, forces that squash faculty backlash and what not. Forces that see football as core value experience and that losing is not ok. Those programs also realize that football brings students in. CU, by contrast, is both academically strong and in a great location, that doesn't need good football quite as much to plant the seeds for future applicants.

Last edited:
Just so we are clear, Embree gets a pass for the offensive line because he is forced to play with all Hawkins recruits? How do you explain Embree's comments about offensive line not being a big need in the 2012 class? We took one player (not counting Kough since he is not here yet) and Embree said he did not take more because we did not graduate many guys.

Either he severely overeestimated the returning talent or he failed on the recruiting trail. Or both. Not sure you want to be trying to defend him in this area.

I agree completely. Ive checked out over the last few years in terms of following recruiting because this **** is just no fun to watch so i do defer to you and your ilk in following all things recruiting wise.

What if your whole team plays flat and uninspired every game? They quit when challenged by the other team. Is that a talent proble? No, it's a coaching problem. This is why Embre must go.

That's easy. They didnt eat breakfast. :rofl:

I agree with your premise though. I watched the CSU game but I missed this one and it sounds like things are worse. The coach has got to get them to believe in themselves and the team and the system. Somewhere, something is missing. I hope JE finds it and finds it soon.

You go 3-21 as a staff over two seasons with a loss to CSU and a loss to Sacramento State in there you should be fired. You should not get a chance for a 3rd year. They go winless this year and we need a change. Hell if we get crushed this weekend at Fresno, I say we put cabral in as Interm and start the search the next day.

taking all the vitriol out of this post...

here are my credentials... i too played hs fb.:lol: i have watched or listened to virtually every single Buff game since fairbanks came to boulder. before then i was a kid but i saw a ton of mallory's team and even some of eddie's teams. i've been through the highs and lows for decades. i also have some friends and family who have coached at this level over the years. i also have some "acquantances" who are currently coaching major conf. ball. sackman's verdict is shared by each and every person i have spoken to about this.

i like embree as a person, a player, and a Buff. those do not make him qualified to be a head coach. same with eb and the coordinator job. i want this staff to succeed, but wanting it doesn't make it so.

they are in a hole the size of the marianas trench and it will take nearly a miracle for them to turn it around. calls of "wait until next year" and "we're too young" are really falling flat on me. look at the guy at ucla. that's how you take over a down program. oh, and saban had bama in the nc game in year 2, with almost all frosh and sophs. is it really to much to expect that we might not be totally embarassed 2 weeks in a row?

Miami, it's tough to argue about bare-cupboards except This Coaching Staff Accepted The Team. They SELECTED this team to accept and to coach. Pure and simple.

Since they haven't been able to accomplish even an ability to beat city college drop-outs like Sac State's, this tells me "This coaching staff can't recognize what they have, don't have and/or can't coach."

I mean, even having Sac State stay within 2-3 scores was a moral loss. I see these "Player 1 and Player 2 are our only playmakers" and I'm SICK. "Against Sac State?!! ONLY TWO, coaches? You can't figure a way to outman and outspeed EVERY player on Sac State's team?!!"

We saw our answer yesterday. Homefield advantage and all.

Colorado State scheduled a real FCS team - their national champ - yesterday and lost 22-7. It looks bad for a Div1 team to lose to a podunk squad, but Sac State couldn't make playoffs against ND State.

This is beyond "young team" excuse making.

I don't give a rat's ***** about 'The Future'. Losing to Sac State when your a Pac 12 team is in-excusable. This staff can't coach!!!!! Period!!! Don't believe this 'Future' crap people. Our top coaches Embree, Bienemy and Brown suck!!! Hands down they suck!!!
Was that a rat's pussy? Ive only heard ass but nevermind carry on, forgive me, gotta do something I dont wanna do today and the clock is ticking.

Your good at reading the tea leaves.

Programs like Alabama and OU go out and find a Bob Stoops or a Nick Saban. There are forces at work in the admin that are behind those decisions, forces that squash faculty backlash and what not. Forces that see football as core value experience and that losing is not ok. Those programs also realize that football brings students in. CU, by contrast, is both academically strong and in a great location, that doesn't need good football quite as much to plant the seeds for future applicants.

I am exceptional at reading tea leaves, i've made a lot of money predicting market trends. Football is an absolutely massive money making machine. But this administration can't seem to get their heads out of their asses and figure that out. Colorado could be the premiere program in Colorado, hell in the entire mountain region. Instead it's Boise freaking state and their blue field. CU should have a massive recruiting advantage because of the location, weather, and sheer beauty of the school. Their symbol and colors are solid, they could have as much fun with uniforms as oregon does. The school did very well when they were on top of the football world. Yet something is holding this school back, I'm for finding those roadblocks and eliminating them. I know a huge number of boosters are waiting for this program to be good again so they can start writing checks. But no one is going to endorse this debacle.

I don't like piling on Embree, he is a loyal buff and he bleeds black and gold. I think he is honestly doing the best he can with what he has got. He may not be the answer. But you can only replace the coach so many times till you figure out the sickness goes higher up. Time to cut it out so the body can thrive. I have my sights set higher than the coach this time.

I am exceptional at reading tea leaves, i've made a lot of money predicting market trends. Football is an absolutely massive money making machine. But this administration can't seem to get their heads out of their asses and figure that out. Colorado could be the premiere program in Colorado, hell in the entire mountain region. Instead it's Boise freaking state and their blue field. CU should have a massive recruiting advantage because of the location, weather, and sheer beauty of the school. Their symbol and colors are solid, they could have as much fun with uniforms as oregon does. The school did very well when they were on top of the football world. Yet something is holding this school back, I'm for finding those roadblocks and eliminating them. I know a huge number of boosters are waiting for this program to be good again so they can start writing checks. But no one is going to endorse this debacle.

I don't like piling on Embree, he is a loyal buff and he bleeds black and gold. I think he is honestly doing the best he can with what he has got. He may not be the answer. But you can only replace the coach so many times till you figure out the sickness goes higher up. Time to cut it out so the body can thrive. I have my sights set higher than the coach this time.

Dead on....Embree is doing what you would expect for a first time head coach, 10 yrs removed from college football experience....you get what you pay fo

Now having an administration willing to live with that, angered by thoughts of investing in a program, blinded to the fact that good athletics brings far more $/support/positive publicity than being ranked high in the Education Magazines....that is the problem, but how can we change that without voting in an entirely different batch of regents invested in making some changes (which takes time X time)

Curious... I couldn't watch the game cause of damn direct tv but i did keep up in score mobile. How many bad calls did the coaches call this game? So far Im hearing that this coaching staff can't coach and they can't recruit yet it seemed like on both sides of the ball the freshman class made an impact. FB and WR positions were topped by freshman.

What i see is the same team that was there last year is still there, minus a few and that the expectation is for a complete makeover just because you want it as a fan. Life has never worked that way. It kicks you in the ass on a regular and the only way you learn from it is the bruises. A whole team of talent did not change overnight. There is progress but it gonna be ugly. For those that have been saying since December that 2013 was gonna be the year and not 2012, that was realistic.

Funniest thing i heard after last game... A few Texas kids were at the game and their biggest observation was that CSU fans didn't sit down the whole game. Interesting...

I'm listening Moett.

The team looks soft, so we're trying to understand why it looks soft. The coaching staff is the easy explanation, but not necessarily the proper one.

The young talent is there. To say that the starting freshman didn't create both positive and negative impacts would be shortsighted. G. Thomas, Tupou, Powell, Crawley and Wright were all playmakers, and also liabilities in a sense. The talent is all there, but the leadership remains undeveloped. That will come in time.

When I look at the roster--with Polk and Rippy out--I'm not sure where our seasoned leadership comes from (Pericek and Major?). The stuff that gives a team character is missing, for sure. Kasa is a senior, but he's not credible in that role as a leader yet, because he's learning his position. Webb is new. We have multi-year starters, yes, but not the number that you would expect on most teams.

So I go back and forth, with my feelings. On one hand, I try to eliminate the fundamental attribution error, by examining the broader environment in which this staff is operating. I'm not sure how many seniors Sac. State had on the field, but likely far more of that character-giving leadership than we had. As Coach Barnett said (paraphrased) "they'll take themselves a lot further than the staff can take them". We don't have enough leadership to take us that far.

For six years, we've been waiting for that young talent to emerge, get seasoned and lead. But for some reason, it never happens, and we're the youngest team in the nation yet again. If we're quick to jump on Coach Embree, it's because we've been burned by the previous staff, and we're afraid it's going to look like this again.

There are a myriad of factors that our beyond my comprehension (didn't play college ball, it turns out), but despite the maturity issues, it appeared we had the talent to win this thing easily, but we didn't. So naturally we turned to the staff, for not mentally preparing our team. It's quite possible that the real point of failure is lack of leadership on the field. I don't know.

How many bad plays did the coaching staff call? It didn't appear that we were making good adjustments to their slant pattern (the quick one) and there was always a soft spot in the middle of the field for a receiver to sit, uncovered. On offense, it felt as though there was a lack of urgency (and imagination) in play-calling when the stakes were high. Especially in the last 8 minutes. Our last drive was so horrible I can't even write about the third down. I cried a little.

I know you want (and need) to have faith in this coaching staff. We're just a bunch of emotional, and uninformed idots around here, and our opinions aren't exactly based on any insight whatsover. We love this team, and losses hurt and we need a place to vent. That's what you're witnessing. Nobody here really knows (one way or the other) if the lack of character that appears on the field is circumstantial and temporary, or systemic to the coaching staff. We.just.don't.know. But like you, we want to win, and our worlds feel more ordered when whe can point to a single point of failure.

Sorry you have to witness this, but it's a necessary part of our grieving. I hope all is well with you.

I'm listening Moett.

The team looks soft, so we're trying to understand why it looks soft. The coaching staff is the easy explanation, but not necessarily the proper one.

The young talent is there. To say that the starting freshman didn't create both positive and negative impacts would be shortsighted. G. Thomas, Tupou, Powell, Crawley and Wright were all playmakers, and also liabilities in a sense. The talent is all there, but the leadership remains undeveloped. That will come in time.

When I look at the roster--with Polk and Rippy out--I'm not sure where our seasoned leadership comes from (Pericek and Major?). The stuff that gives a team character is missing, for sure. Kasa is a senior, but he's not credible in that role as a leader yet, because he's learning his position. Webb is new. We have multi-year starters, yes, but not the number that you would expect on most teams.

So I go back and forth, with my feelings. On one hand, I try to eliminate the fundamental attribution error, by examining the broader environment in which this staff is operating. I'm not sure how many seniors Sac. State had on the field, but likely far more of that character-giving leadership than we had. As Coach Barnett said (paraphrased) "they'll take themselves a lot further than the staff can take them". We don't have enough leadership to take us that far.

For six years, we've been waiting for that young talent to emerge, get seasoned and lead. But for some reason, it never happens, and we're the youngest team in the nation yet again. If we're quick to jump on Coach Embree, it's because we've been burned by the previous staff, and we're afraid it's going to look like this again.

There are a myriad of factors that our beyond my comprehension (didn't play college ball, it turns out), but despite the maturity issues, it appeared we had the talent to win this thing easily, but we didn't. So naturally we turned to the staff, for not mentally preparing our team. It's quite possible that the real point of failure is lack of leadership on the field. I don't know.

How many bad plays did the coaching staff call? It didn't appear that we were making good adjustments to their slant pattern (the quick one) and there was always a soft spot in the middle of the field for a receiver to sit, uncovered. On offense, it felt as though there was a lack of urgency (and imagination) in play-calling when the stakes were high. Especially in the last 8 minutes. Our last drive was so horrible I can't even write about the third down. I cried a little.

I know you want (and need) to have faith in this coaching staff. We're just a bunch of emotional, and uninformed idots around here, and our opinions aren't exactly based on any insight whatsover. We love this team, and losses hurt and we need a place to vent. That's what you're witnessing. Nobody here really knows (one way or the other) if the lack of character that appears on the field is circumstantial and temporary, or systemic to the coaching staff. We.just.don't.know. But like you, we want to win, and our worlds feel more ordered when whe can point to a single point of failure.

Sorry you have to witness this, but it's a necessary part of our grieving. I hope all is well with you.

Most reasonably crafted response so far. :thumbsup:

Yeah, given your track record with judgement on coaches, I'd look in the mirror when identifying a moron.

Don't patronize, it is ****ing insulting.
It was a frigging joke! I was making fun of myself. I'd fire Embree ASAP. He can't get it done, won't get it done. Our coordinators are uncoordinated.

Last edited:
The whole "we don't have enough talent" doesn't ring true when we have played an FCS team, and a CSU squad that lost to an FCS team.

This is going to be a really, really long year.

Anybody know what some of the shortest coaching tenures in college football are excluding things like the Petrino debacle and just based on poor performance?

Anybody know what some of the shortest coaching tenures in college football are excluding things like the Petrino debacle and just based on poor performance?

Howard Schnellenberger - one year at OU. They cut bait after it became obvious that the man was a fraud. We need to do the same.

taking all the vitriol out of this post...

here are my credentials... i too played hs fb.:lol: i have watched or listened to virtually every single Buff game since fairbanks came to boulder. before then i was a kid but i saw a ton of mallory's team and even some of eddie's teams. i've been through the highs and lows for decades. i also have some friends and family who have coached at this level over the years. i also have some "acquantances" who are currently coaching major conf. ball. sackman's verdict is shared by each and every person i have spoken to about this.

i like embree as a person, a player, and a Buff. those do not make him qualified to be a head coach. same with eb and the coordinator job. i want this staff to succeed, but wanting it doesn't make it so.

they are in a hole the size of the marianas trench and it will take nearly a miracle for them to turn it around. calls of "wait until next year" and "we're too young" are really falling flat on me. look at the guy at ucla. that's how you take over a down program. oh, and saban had bama in the nc game in year 2, with almost all frosh and sophs. is it really to much to expect that we might not be totally embarassed 2 weeks in a row?

I agree with this.

Miami, it's tough to argue about bare-cupboards except This Coaching Staff Accepted The Team. They SELECTED this team to accept and to coach. Pure and simple.

Since they haven't been able to accomplish even an ability to beat city college drop-outs like Sac State's, this tells me "This coaching staff can't recognize what they have, don't have and/or can't coach."

I mean, even having Sac State stay within 2-3 scores was a moral loss. I see these "Player 1 and Player 2 are our only playmakers" and I'm SICK. "Against Sac State?!! ONLY TWO, coaches? You can't figure a way to outman and outspeed EVERY player on Sac State's team?!!"

We saw our answer yesterday. Homefield advantage and all.

Colorado State scheduled a real FCS team - their national champ - yesterday and lost 22-7. It looks bad for a Div1 team to lose to a podunk squad, but Sac State couldn't make playoffs against ND State.

This is beyond "young team" excuse making.

I agree with this too IF we had an established coach. And we don't. I doesn't mean that he shouldn't be shown the door because he should. But I'm honestly not that surprised with the results so far though I gave up on CU somewher around half way through the Hawkins era.

Keep in mind that Mac interfered with the process along with others and we made another hire on the cheap. With a guy who has never been a coordinator let alone a hc. We're not governed by an admin that has put winning front and center because they would have squelched those forces. And whose priorities clearly lie elsewhere given the way it went. In short, they don't put a priority on having a top tier program.

I am sure there were more. This is just what I found from a quick search, and from memory.

Howard Schnellenberger, OU - 1 season
Keith Gilbertson, UW - 2 seasons
Turner Gill, KU - 2 seasons
Rob Ianello, Akron - 2 seasons
Larry Porter, Memphis - 2 seasons
John Blake, OU - 3 seasons
Tyrone Willingham, UW - 3 seasons

I'm listening Moett.

Your argument makes sense. Thanks for the insight.

I am sure there were more. This is just what I found from a quick search, and from memory.

Howard Schnellenberger, OU - 1 season
Keith Gilbertson, UW - 2 seasons
Turner Gill, KU - 2 seasons
Rob Ianello, Akron - 2 seasons
Larry Porter, Memphis - 2 seasons
John Blake, OU - 3 seasons
Tyrone Willingham, UW - 3 seasons

I'm going to fail on the names, but you missed on the two biggest:
- The ND head coach that faked his resume and ended up at a directional Florida school.
- The WSU coach, hired at Alabama, only to stiff a prostitute before he ever started and, ironically enough, I think he ended up at a directional Florida school, too.
- I believe the same thing happened with Pitt a few years ago (fake resume) and run out before he even coached a season.

I'm going to fail on the names, but you missed on the two biggest:
- The ND head coach that faked his resume and ended up at a directional Florida school.
- The WSU coach, hired at Alabama, only to stiff a prostitute before he ever started and, ironically enough, I think he ended up at a directional Florida school, too.
- I believe the same thing happened with Pitt a few years ago (fake resume) and run out before he even coached a season.

George O'Leary was the guy who lied about his resume at Notre Dame.
Mike Price was the guy who hooked up with the stripper at Alabama.
And Mike Haywood was fired from Pitt after a week on the job. He got charged with domestic violence.

All those people were fired for off-the-field incidents. In fact none of them ever coached an actual football game. I think the OP was looking for coaches who had been fired after a very short stint for poor performance on the field.

Embree's not getting fired. Why can't we cut Marshall loose? Does anyone disagree that we're 2-0 if the O Line shows up at all?

For you deeper football types. Is there anyone out there? Hell, even a grad assistant? Maybe in the vein of Tosh?

Back