What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

A player's retort

There's two engineering majors on the team (both bios are in the media guide that's online at cubuffs.com)...only one of those bios makes reference to a player having an academic scholarship to CU...

Two engineering majors who I know are on football schollies (or one major and one who intends to major in engineering). The poster identified himself as a walk-on, which would match one bio. But apparently there are two other walk-ons without bios in the media guide who are also engineering majors. The point remains, there are players on the roster who would match the information provided by the player.

No no no no no!!!!! If it a player or players, my response to you is this. Step the **** up. if you are worried about what is written, you arent exactly tearing it up. Also you are worried about the wrong thing. Yall have to strap it up not us, go out there and get yours, it dont make a **** what we think if u do.

This is where I don't agree. He should not change things up to please the fan base. He should win football games to please the fan base. I don't care what changes he makes on the field or who he starts to make that happen. And I, as the uneducated fan, recognize that while I think I may know what I would do to make that happen, there is a reason my ass is in front of the TV on Saturday watching the game and not on the sideline. In the end my final judgment of Hawkins will be based on his record, not who was on the field during those wins and loses.

You said it brother. My favorite coach quote is Parcells saying that you are what your record says you are. As for changing things up to make the fan base happy, that can be interpreted a lot of different ways but let's distill it down to this: change the quarterback. I'm on record saying Cody is a warrior but his record shows that he can't win at this level. Maybe none of our QB's can but if Hawk would just.... try... someone... else. I remain flabbergasted at his statement from the CSewe game that he "never considered" putting in Hansen. Think about that. He saw that what they were doing was not working at all but he never even considered making a change. That's just astounding to me. Hansen's putative redshirt is more important than possibly providing a spark? There was NO way Cody was going to win that game for us but there was at least a possible (if likely improbable) chance TH makes a difference. To mix metaphors on you I'm just saying you can't get a hit if you don't swing the bat.

Cliffs Notes version:

Walk On player-Appointed by other players to post.
Players reading fan boards
Players not happy that they are getting ripped by fan boards
Players trying their best and working very hard to fix things
Coaches working very hard
Cody has team respect

rep for concise and accurate reporting:thumbsup:

You found two?? I only found one listed in the media guide. And yes, it did appear he would likely be on academic scholarship.

The point NOT being who the player is, but the fact that the information fits with a player on the team makes the possibility that the poster is legit more likely...

Assuming it is legit, I think the reaction is about the only reaction I could expect from somebody inside the team. You know they are busting their asses, you know they are PISSED about the results so far, and to see a bunch of "outsiders" dissecting the situation has got to piss you off. Imagine a bunch of people dissecting a particularly bad day at your job without actually working where you do and you might get an idea of where that post might come from. I really don't think it would matter how much those people cared about your job, hoped and prayed for you to succeed, how much they knew about your job or were trying to help you. In the midst of a ****ty day they are only going to PISS. YOU. OFF.

You're exactly right. But there are ways to handle yourself and this wasn't one of them. Everyone gets pissed off when they're working hard and their efforts are questioned. There are constructive ways to respond and there are non-constructive ways to respond. Attacking the people pissing you off is NOT the way to handle things responsibly. If the players think this is an acceptable way to handle things, they are way off base and have a lot to learn. An intelligent, level headed discussion will take you farther than attacking someone. Why do you think all the posts were negative towards the "player". It's because they came out swinging and peoples natural reaction isn't to be supportive, it's to defend themselves and their actions.

The thread has been removed, and anyone can read the media guide. I seriously doubt it was a player. I would like to believe that our team is better than that, and would show more maturity and common sense. This almost makes it worse, because whoever did make the thread used enough facts to point at an individual player, which is treading a fine line legally as they could be considered to be impersonating an individual.

I was a little embarrassed as a fan how quickly people jumped on the kid, if it was a player. I think back to how polite and friendly folks were here when we had an unexpected visit from Shaun Simon or that Cal kicker's dad (Von .. something, Gingel?) ...

While sorting out who was who, I didn't see the need to attack the guy. It would have been an opportunity to find out what the team was really thinking, what the mood is, if they see the hope some of us see.

It probably didn't leave a good impression on him. Tacky behavior.

You're exactly right. But there are ways to handle yourself and this wasn't one of them. Everyone gets pissed off when they're working hard and their efforts are questioned. There are constructive ways to respond and there are non-constructive ways to respond. Attacking the people pissing you off is NOT the way to handle things responsibly. If the players think this is an acceptable way to handle things, they are way off base and have a lot to learn. An intelligent, level headed discussion will take you farther than attacking someone. Why do you think all the posts were negative towards the "player". It's because they came out swinging and peoples natural reaction isn't to be supportive, it's to defend themselves and their actions.

The thread has been removed, and anyone can read the media guide. I seriously doubt it was a player. I would like to believe that our team is better than that, and would show more maturity and common sense. This almost makes it worse, because whoever did make the thread used enough facts to point at an individual player, which is treading a fine line legally as they could be considered to be impersonating an individual.

Absolutely right. Didn't mean to imply that his post was the right thing to do, just that his feelings would be understandable, if the post is legit...

You said it brother. My favorite coach quote is Parcells saying that you are what your record says you are. As for changing things up to make the fan base happy, that can be interpreted a lot of different ways but let's distill it down to this: change the quarterback. I'm on record saying Cody is a warrior but his record shows that he can't win at this level. Maybe none of our QB's can but if Hawk would just.... try... someone... else. I remain flabbergasted at his statement from the CSewe game that he "never considered" putting in Hansen. Think about that. He saw that what they were doing was not working at all but he never even considered making a change. That's just astounding to me. Hansen's putative redshirt is more important than possibly providing a spark? There was NO way Cody was going to win that game for us but there was at least a possible (if likely improbable) chance TH makes a difference. To mix metaphors on you I'm just saying you can't get a hit if you don't swing the bat.

So can I ask what did you see out of Hansen last year that makes you think he can win where Cody has failed? What you are describing is exactly what we did last year and I don't recall it getting us any wins. In fact didn't Cody come back in off the bench to give us a chance in one of the games last year. I will fully admit my memory sucks so this maybe incorrect. The only game I saw Hansen provide a spark in was the first game he played and I really think that was because the team we played was not prepared for him. I don't think that trick will fly this year.

Again, I understand we want change. I want change to, but I want the right change. Maybe Hansen is the answer, but I can see the logic in letting the kid redshirt so he has a shot at being a two year starter. In hindsight I think Dan made a poor choice burning his redshirt last year and it is costing him right now. More than he is going to admit publicly.

So can I ask what did you see out of Hansen last year that makes you think he can win where Cody has failed? What you are describing is exactly what we did last year and I don't recall it getting us any wins. In fact didn't Cody come back in off the bench to give us a chance in one of the games last year. I will fully admit my memory sucks so this maybe incorrect. The only game I saw Hansen provide a spark in was the first game he played and I really think that was because the team we played was not prepared for him. I don't think that trick will fly this year.

Again, I understand we want change. I want change to, but I want the right change. Maybe Hansen is the answer, but I can see the logic in letting the kid redshirt so he has a shot at being a two year starter. In hindsight I think Dan made a poor choice burning his redshirt last year and it is costing him right now. More than he is going to admit publicly.

Hansen can run. I don't even care that at best he's about the same as a passer as Cody. A running QB provides a dimension that CSewe might not have been ready for. The point is it never even crossed his mind. Forget Hansen for a moment, there are a number of quarterbacks on the roster and others who have played the position. Not ONE of these guys might have made a difference if Hawk had given them the chance? I use a lot of NFL metaphors I know but bear with me: where did the wildcat come from? It was born of desperation! The Dolphin offense was terrible and couldn't move the ball and one day they decided F**k it Ronnie Brown is a tremendous athlete let's try something crazy. It worked. I'm not saying we need to run the wildcat I'm just saying that if what you're doing does not work then it's time to change. The result of our hapless offense is twofold: first we lose the game, then we lose recruits. It's that simple. I'm sorry but there are no great QB's or WR's watching us right now saying "man I want to go there!". Our offense is the most turgid, coma inducing mess I've ever seen at this level. This is killing us in so many ways and I just cannot believe that the answer is to "stay the course". We need a change, we viscerally and desperately need a change or this will be a very long dark period for our program.

subject: Walkon buff is no player. The ip address matched up with
posted by: 2buffsgrads on wed oct 7 2009 12:09:57 am
A nebraska fan in the past that we have had trouble with.

That is why the post is gone. So is stampede1 who actually put a
kid's name on here. What the heck is that?

He sure bent some of you. Touchy, touchy.

fyi

Psssst, most players at least back in the days of my favorite Buff told me they give a rip what the fans say on internet boards, they know most obnoxious fans couldn't carry their jock straps. :cool:

hilarious, some people are seriously pathetic. who takes time outa their day to do that type of ****?

May not be able to carry their jocks, nor would I want to, but you can tell when a guy sucks or is overrated. Jesus, if this team is worried about the internet, we might not win again this year. No football player would write that kind of crap obviously and it was a netbuffs punkass fusker? Been having fun with them lately, guess u didnt get my **** u csker. Damn, I couldnt think of a worse time for u chicken ****ers to start talking ****.

DBT.... looking forward to his response in the AM :smile2:
If I was fooled once, then shame on him. But I DO know that players read these boards. I know that for a fact. And even if this was a prank, it should give us cause to at least realize that our words are not spoken in a vacuum. So, yeah, I'm the fool here. And you dip ****s can now make fun of me. But do not think, for a second, that the venom you guys are spewing does not go unnoticed.

I also believe that we need to sit back and let the season play itself out. We need to give the staff and the players the chance to prove themselves. So, grin and laugh all you want. I stand by what I believe, I stand by the kids, I stand by the staff, and I stand by CU.

The lesson here is that all of us are ready to jump on any kind of post that supports our beliefs and denegrate any that doesn't. Your side jumps on every post from a "booster", verifiable or not, that rips Hawkins. So, my lesson is to be patient, and wait for verification of such posts. But I'll guarantee, that the next "booster" that posts here ripping Hawkins will be swarmed upon by your side as a hero.

I have not lost here. I stand by what I believe. And I believe that all of you that are ripping the program over the net are dead wrong. Period.

And, if that was a fusker, then I've lost the last iota of any kind of respect for their fans.

If I was fooled once, then shame on him. But I DO know that players read these boards. I know that for a fact. And even if this was a prank, it should give us cause to at least realize that our words are not spoken in a vacuum. So, yeah, I'm the fool here. And you dip ****s can now make fun of me. But do not think, for a second, that the venom you guys are spewing does not go unnoticed.

I also believe that we need to sit back and let the season play itself out. We need to give the staff and the players the chance to prove themselves. So, grin and laugh all you want. I stand by what I believe, I stand by the kids, I stand by the staff, and I stand by CU.

The lesson here is that all of us are ready to jump on any kind of post that supports our beliefs and denegrate any that doesn't. Your side jumps on every post from a "booster", verifiable or not, that rips Hawkins. So, my lesson is to be patient, and wait for verification of such posts. But I'll guarantee, that the next "booster" that posts here ripping Hawkins will be swarmed upon by your side as a hero.

I have not lost here. I stand by what I believe. And I believe that all of you that are ripping the program over the net are dead wrong. Period.

I want cu to win, I support the players, I hope we turn it around and have a winning season and go to and win a bowl game. I do not want to lose just to rid ourselves of hawk. But KNOW this, another losing season and it's time to re-think things. Don't act like cu is above criticism of the head coach. If this were any of the top 25 programs their fans would be just as irate.

We'll find out over the next couple weeks were we are at, if it's 1-6 it will get even uglier. I understand that it goes over the top but hawkins did all the big talking and he hasn't even come anywhere close to it with the results. He's brought most of this on himself.

But, like most here who are fed up with hawk, we'll be watching right along with you this saturday hoping cu can somehow pull out a win or show some improvement and signs that maybe they can right the ship starting with kansas.

Keep up the good fight DBT, we disagree about some things but you are a great buff fan. :thumbsup:

Are you guys trying to tell me that DBT's rantings over the past few weeks aren't intended to be ironic? Damn.

May not be able to carry their jocks, nor would I want to, but you can tell when a guy sucks or is overrated. Jesus, if this team is worried about the internet, we might not win again this year. No football player would write that kind of crap obviously and it was a netbuffs punkass fusker? Been having fun with them lately, guess u didnt get my **** u csker. Damn, I couldnt think of a worse time for u chicken ****ers to start talking ****.

It's not the players choice who gets to play or how they play the game. Players know who should be sitting and who should be playing, at least GB did the right thing most of the time in that era.

:popcorn:

That netbuffs post actually only ripped fans who attack players. AB has a written policy against that, so what's the beef?

DBT, I can't believe you're damning an entire fan base for internet scum.:lol:

I didn't believe that it was a player rep who actually posted that garbage. Husker fans accuse us of being obsessed with them but the funny thing is that they do the same thing with CU. :wow:

During my time on this board, I have yet to see a post where a fan rips a player. Coach Hawk gets paid a lot of $$$ so we have every right to rip him and we have done just that. Heck, we have been ripping Daddy Hawk for leaving Cody in too long and that led to a concussion at Toldeo.

I thought for sure it was going to be Dan Hawkins.:thumbsup:

I'm thinking there's still a chance it might be. A good editor can take out the jargon, metaphors, idiom, etc. that would normally cloud this rant in a freestyle presser.

I wouldn't blame the players one bit for feeling like they're getting garbage thrown at them. But the fact of the matter is that we have an emotional investment in this school and the football team. Many of us give monetarily and emotionally to the school. Without that passion, they would be playing in front of 25,000 people on Saturdays. Is that what they want? A bunch of disinterested, bored, would-rather-be-anyplace-else bums? You can't have it both ways. If you want passionate, fanatical, loyal fans, you damn well better expect them to be vocal as hell when they see things they don't like.

I liken this to what I refer to as the "player parent syndrome". We sit in a section with a lot of parents. I've seen them come and go for years. They think I'm crazy for getting upset. They give me nasty looks a lot. They don't think I have the right to criticize the team's performance. But here's the thing; They haven't been sitting there for the last 20 years. They didn't pay for their kid to go to CU, and they will be gone once their kid leaves. I'll still be there. They think it's good enough for the players to come out and "try hard". I don't. Trying hard isn't good enough. You have to win. I'm not paying to see kids who try really hard. I'm paying to see them beat the living hell out of their opponent. If I want to see kids trying hard, I'll go to a high school game.

Yeah but sometimes we also create our destiny. The more we talk about the downfall of CU and keep coming at this with such negativity the more likely we are to fulfill our own prophecy. I don't know if this kids is real or not, but in todays age of social networking I don't find it hard to believe at all that our kids are reading our boards. We don't want them to take us serious but look at how serious we take each other. Good grief we got members calling each other out for showdowns at the Folsom corral.

Apathy breeds mediocrity. I would rather push for change than watch the program become inconsequencel.

you've spewed a lot more personal bile then I have my friend. Might just be the result of being on the unpopular side, but I haven't called you a dip****, dickwad, etc. And you are more then welcome to have your opinion. Enjoy it. However, I've given this staff nearly 3.5 years to show improvement, and instead things are going in the opposite direction. So I am gonna criticize the **** out of the staff, cause they are public employees and they get paid a ridiculous amount of money and they are SUCKING. So respect my opinion. I don't enjoy it.

In short: **** you! :smile2:

Back