What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

A quick review of Mac's job performance

I think everybody who posts on here really likes him. I also think he has us in a better spot than when he and his staff got here, and that in itself is impressive. I'm with most-Mac and staff need to take another step this coming year, and turn a fair amount of the games that we lost in a close fashion in 2014 to wins this coming year. The DC change, especially given we wound up with a name like Jim Leavitt, was big. It took guts for MM to can a guy he worked with for several years and brought here from San Jose State.

I agree on that take - personally I think the slow progress is to be expected while frustrating for the fans. My main concern from the beginning was for recruiting once we have gotten to the 5-7 win level with 3 or so in conference, can we then up the recruiting at that point? I do not think knocking MM for not stealing 5* guys from USC or UCLA in the past two years is a valid critique, but think winning some higher visibility battles in the '17 class (with expected improvement in the next two seasons) should be a valid point to watch. The staff changes would appear to put him in a better position to do just that, but a lot could change between now and then as well. Another season like last year without improvements in the W column would be a bitter disappointment, but there were enough competitive improvements between the last two seasons for me to hope that won't be the case....
At least they have done enough prior to sending out renewal forms that kicking for season tickets does't seem like an upcoming colonoscopy!

MM has exceeded my expectations, frankly. I thought we might hit the "be competitive" level in about year 4. Year 3 if we were lucky. He's 1-2 years ahead of where I expected he would be. If he continues this trajectory, I'd expect a bowl game by year 4. I still think we have a lot of catching up to do in order to reach that goal in 2015.

He lost a lot of weight.

I need to need to see some wins before I'll swoon. Those defeats against Cal, OSU, Wash, UCLA, AZ, and UT are still painful.

He recruited his son and let his daughter matriculate at Baylor.

He paid his SJSU staff a bonus to move to Boulder. The defensive side of that decision was a mistake that is finally being addressed.

This isn't the time to declare him to be anything more special than his record.
MM gets my support to keep going and let his system take root. But he hasn't done much to blow me away.

I'm not convinced any other P12 coach would have done any worse than MacIntyre, being dealt the same hand. A few might have done better than 2-10 and recruited better.

I'd rank MacIntyre somewhere behind Wellingham, Mora, Rodriguez, Gramm, Peterson, and Shaw.
He is in the same grouping as Sarkisian, Helfrich, Anderson & Dykes.
Better than Leach.

MM has exceeded my expectations, frankly. I thought we might hit the "be competitive" level in about year 4. Year 3 if we were lucky. He's 1-2 years ahead of where I expected he would be. If he continues this trajectory, I'd expect a bowl game by year 4. I still think we have a lot of catching up to do in order to reach that goal in 2015.

Really?

I still don't think you fully grasp how big of a hole we are digging out of. The idea that this is a 2-4 year turnaround is unjustifiably optimistic. I think he's ahead of schedule.

It doesn't take basically turning over the entire roster to field a competitive team.

It doesn't take basically turning over the entire roster to field a competitive team.

Depends on the situation. Cupboard was nearly bare (2009-2011 classes + attrition) coupled with a horrible losing culture with a lot of the guys on their 3rd coach. That's not a 2-year turnaround.

Culture is clichéd, but wholly applicable when discussing our broken program. That takes time to weed and change.

from phone

MM deserves five years to get this dumpster fire under control. Anyone expecting a turnaround in less time doesn't realize how bad this program has bottomed out. It really is that bad in Boulder.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can't remember the CU schedule for this year but I would say that he needs 4 wins this season to remain off of the hot seat. I think he will get it too because Sefo is going to keep improving and the defense should also be better this year. I look to the 2016 season for a bowl game. I do expect better recruiting this year with the small amount of schollies available. I do not wan't to see guys who have very little interest from the P5 to commit to us early in the process. If we miss out on other players than OK for months of December-February. I have stated in may recruiting conversations that Mac has recruited development players. This is year 3 of there development and it is time to start seeing if he knows what he is doing with recruiting. Some of the kids he has signed do not appear to be of P5 talent.

Recruiting = D
Staff = C (offense good, defense bad)
Game management = B
Record = F
Roster = B

I really don't see the point in giving him credit for firing a bad coach when he hired that bad coach. Baer hire being an F, but Leavitt being an A so that offsets itself at this juncture imo.

Recruiting just can't be any higher than a C right? I mean, it could certainly turn out higher than that, but as of now we can't really say he has done a great job on that front..

Game management I'm torn on. I think our talent level was quite subpar this last season, but yet we were right there in it for a few games. Has to be good coaching I'd say? Shrug. Still lost a lot of close games, so hard to award that one an A.

edit: added a roster grade, think he has done a pretty good job of fixing class balance and adding long term developmental types. Also finally has us fixing our depth problems that has seemingly plagued us for the last decade. Seemed like we were always looking at a position group that had 6 scholarship players on the OL or 4 WRs or 1 scholarship QB etc.

Last edited:
Depends on the situation. Cupboard was nearly bare (2009-2011 classes + attrition) coupled with a horrible losing culture with a lot of the guys on their 3rd coach. That's not a 2-year turnaround.

Agree. We're going in the right direction.

[tweet]563932067507892224[/tweet]

I am guessing he's talking about Kiszla or one of the other hacks who have been taking shots at George and CU for the CSU game. Kiszla should have been permanently banned from CU when he showed up wearing red for Cabrals last kNU presser.

I'm no big fan of Dave Plati, but if he's taking on Mark Kizla, I'm right there with him. Kizla has been given a free pass to cut down the CU program for too long.

It doesn't take basically turning over the entire roster to field a better team.

FIFY. Because we are fielding a competitive team as compared to what we had. We were so far bad, in a very good conference, that simply improving a bunch isn't enough to be competitive (by your definition, which must be W-L record).

I'm no big fan of Dave Plati, but if he's taking on Mark Kizla, I'm right there with him. Kizla has been given a free pass to cut down the CU program for too long.

This. I just wish he wasn't asleep at the wheel and did it sooner.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

[tweet]563932067507892224[/tweet]

I am guessing he's talking about Kiszla or one of the other hacks who have been taking shots at George and CU for the CSU game. Kiszla should have been permanently banned from CU when he showed up wearing red for Cabrals last kNU presser.

Also aimed ar Sandy Clough and that idiot Scoot Hastings, who whined about the RMS ending and completely misquoted RG on what his role and intent was in that.

RG was on the horn with those guys yesterday during their show and both Clough and Hastings apologized, Clough rather profusely, for their erroneous misquotes.

Can't we just stuff Hastings in a 55 gallon drum and ship him back to Arkansas ? I have several small rocks in my yard that add just as much to Denver sports talk radio as Hastings.

Also aimed ar Sandy Clough and that idiot Scoot Hastings, who whined about the RMS ending and completely misquoted RG on what his role and intent was in that.

RG was on the horn with those guys yesterday during their show and both Clough and Hastings apologized, Clough rather profusely, for their erroneous misquotes.

Can't we just stuff Hastings in a 55 gallon drum and ship him back to Arkansas ? I have several small rocks in my yard that add just as much to Denver sports talk radio as Hastings.
I replayed their shows on podcast. They clearly said CSU out recruited CU. Then Clough called out "whining" CU fans who called him out arguing we wer essentially the same, "both last in their respective conferences." They haven't a clue what is about is happening with CU.

Sacky's definition of "competitive" was last year's team. It takes 4 years to field a 2-10 team that lost a lot of close games? Ok guys

Sacky's definition of "competitive" was last year's team. It takes 4 years to field a 2-10 team that lost a lot of close games? Ok guys

Once again, you greatly underestimate the depths to which this program had sunk. We weren't just bad. We were bad on a historic level. We were 1970's KSU bad. We were 1980's Northwestern bad. We were post death penalty SMU bad. You don't just recover from that. It takes years if you're lucky. If you aren't lucky, you just stay bad forever. That is still a possibility here if we make any stupid decisions in the next few years.

FIFY. Because we are fielding a competitive team as compared to what we had. We were so far bad, in a very good conference, that simply improving a bunch isn't enough to be competitive (by your definition, which must be W-L record).

0fer in conference is not competitive. Anybody that argues that is brain dead.

0fer in conference is not competitive. Anybody that argues that is brain dead.

Then call me brain dead. We may have been 0-fer the conference, but we were a much better team than the year before and light years better than the year prior to that. We had two games go to double overtime and held 4th quarter leads in something like 8 games. We couldn't close, but that didn't mean we weren't competitive.

Then call me brain dead. We may have been 0-fer the conference, but we were a much better team than the year before and light years better than the year prior to that. We had two games go to double overtime and held 4th quarter leads in something like 8 games. We couldn't close, but that didn't mean we weren't competitive.

Then slider is right, if that is the definition of competetive (and I'd agree we were at least competetive), then we didn't need 4 years and full roster turnover to get there. I think that's all he was saying. "Competetive" is a low bar for even the worst programs to reach within 4 years.

I thought it would take MM 2 years to clean up the mess he inherited, and wasn't going to criticize him until that time was up. Agree with others that we need to see more wins on the field and in recruiting the next year. A bowl game would be great, and frankly would be saying a hell of a lot towards MM and his staff's ability, but not the end of the world if it doesn't happen as long as there are more wins, and the team seems to be genuinely getting better. Recruiting just flat out needs to get better, no more excuses can be made there.

There will/should be big expectations for the 2016 season and 2017 recruiting class. This is where the rest of the nation takes notice that Colorado Football has finally woken up.

I'm all for Plati and the CUAD telling the local media hacks to shove it when they paint CU in a bad light to get clicks. RG isn't ****ing around. Colorado is a big time football school and is starting to act like it. Love it. I am so completely reinvested in this program right now.

Back