What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

A quick review of Mac's job performance

The Jay Mac comparisons to Cody are unjust, IMO. There's a big difference between WR and QB. You might have as many as four WRs in the game at once, and you might play as many as six in a game. There's usually only one QB that takes snaps in a game. Even if MM did play favorites with Jay Mac, it's not like doing so will take game snaps away from a deserving player.

It doesn't matter that he's not a QB - sure it helps that there are more WR snaps to go around, but the potential for locker room problems and negative recruiting are still there in a big way, and it is a completely short-sighted move given the problems CU just experienced. If any school knows the damage this can cause it's CU and here we go giving it a try all over again. Simply not worth the risk and Mac should know better.

So he asked the guys who just had their salaries quadrupled because he'd brought them to CU to pretend it wasn't his son and give an honest evaluation. Even if he had the best of intentions, there is no way guys can be objective in that situation. Mac has done a lot of really good things here, but bringing JMac on scholarship was a mistake IMO and showed some real lack of understanding of a major mistake made by one of his predecessors. JMO.
Your post almost made me go ballistic. Fortunately, I deleted it before posting. His kid was rated as a top 10 recruit in state. He is a good player. He was one of the fastest kids in state. From all accounts I've heard, which aren't many, he will be a solid contributor. Get over the Hawkins debacle. This isn't close to the same thing.

And he was given a full ride at a PAC 12 school. If my son, and I wanted him to play for me, the conversation would be "I will pay for your school and you can walk onto the team. you will be held to a different standard than any other child on the team. if you make a mistake you will be you will faced with consequencess. if another player is equal to you in talent they will play first. you will have unlimited access to me and I will teach you everything I can about the sport. I love you unconditionally, but my job pays our bills. the team will always come first. I want the opportunity to coach you, but you need to understand what you ae getting into."

Jay would not have walked on. It has been said many times that his dream was to earn a D1 athletic scholarship. HCMM was not going to get him as a walk on. The nepotism that Hawkins showed was the only issue with Cody. He was a decent QB and had he been developed under a competent staff probably would have led CU to quite a few wins. There has been no hint of nepotism from the staff or in this situation. Everything that has been said coming out of practice is that HCMM is harder on Jay then the other players.

I know why you are gun shy. I get it. I think this situation is completely different though and is being handled responsibly. The Neinas hire on the other hand is a different story.

Also, HCMM played for his dad in college and later was hired on to his staff. Things turned out just fine.

Your post almost made me go ballistic. Fortunately, I deleted it before posting. His kid was rated as a top 10 recruit in state. He is a good player. He was one of the fastest kids in state. From all accounts I've heard, which aren't many, he will be a solid contributor. Get over the Hawkins debacle. This isn't close to the same thing.

Being top 10 in Colorado is nothing to celebrate. Look he may be a damn fine player, I hope he is because we need solid WR depth, but it wasn't on-field ability that was Cody's problem either - he probably was our best option at QB and played his guts out, but that didn't prevent it from becoming a really bad situation.

Being top 10 in Colorado is nothing to celebrate. Look he may be a damn fine player, I hope he is because we need solid WR depth, but it wasn't on-field ability that was Cody's problem either - he probably was our best option at QB and played his guts out, but that didn't prevent it from becoming a really bad situation.

Problem was he wasn't. Hansen had all the tools to be a very good QB in the Big-12 if Dan had let him develop properly. Dan also had the games called in a way to give Cody as many stats as possible and put him at the top of as many records as he could find.

Decision is long made and put to bed. Nothing to do but sit back, give it a rest, and cheer for the kid. Just as we want MM & staff to treat Jay like any other player, we fans have to do the same.

I agree with you. I also think Jay Mac's going to be a damn fine player.

But I also respect those who had a problem with it. Once bitten, twice shy. I would just hope everyone is fair enough to judge Jay on his merits. The recruiting decision is a year in the books and he's one of our Buffs. We all should support him just like everyone else on the team.
And that is the crux. Both Cody and Jay are kick ass individuals. It is the thought process of the father that caused me say it is hard for me.

And that is the crux. Both Cody and Jay are kick ass individuals. It is the thought process of the father that caused me say it is hard for me.

The fact that there have been no whispers of favoritism at practice should settle your mind a bit. With Cody, there were definite whispers. Especially among the QB group.

With the big jump our offense made this season, I would imagine our "best recruiter" who also happens to coach WRs would have been pretty successful recruiting WRs (a position of need) this cycle. We brought in Justin Jan and...that's it.

Definitely could be a coincidence, but let's not pretend that just because the coaches say all the right things (like Helfrich being given full authority over who starts), and players making nice (leapfrog anyone?) that this can't affect us in other ways.

FWIW...Mac said he essentially stepped out of the decision on Jay to ensure his staff really thought he could make a difference and remove any claims of nepotism. Mac told Jay, as he was considering CU, he would be held to a higher standard because of his name. There's nothing here but Post Traumatic Hawk Syndrome IMO.

The notion that guys this cycle, like Kelly and Brown, didn't commit to CU because Jay MacIntyre is on the roster is laughable, at best.

Oh good god, have people actually seen Jay practice? Coaches having their son paying for them on scholarship is not uncommon. He's not a QB and has shown ability in practice.

The notion that guys this cycle, like Kelly and Brown, didn't commit to CU because Jay MacIntyre is on the roster is laughable, at best.

Why is it laughable, because you want that to be true? You could be right, but don't pretend it's so far fetched. If I'm Kliff Kingsbury, I absolutely point out the fact to Brown - whether it mattered in his ultimate decision we'll never know, but it's a risk this program doesn't need.

Having Neinas on staff compounds this problem/perception IMO.

Why is it laughable, because you want that to be true? You could be right, but don't pretend it's so far fetched. If I'm Kliff Kingsbury, I absolutely point out the fact to Brown - whether it mattered in his ultimate decision we'll never know, but it's a risk this program doesn't need.

uhh, reaching.

They don't even play the same WR position...

Qb recruiting is different. You can play the 'oh, the coach is only going to play his son, you will never get to play!!' card. But WR, trying to say that the coach will only play his son is asinine. There are two, three or four WRs on the field at one time. Or are you saying that the coach will tell the QB to only throw the ball to his son? Absurd.

You want to bitch about something so you are making **** up now. You have made your point and can point back to this thread in two or three years if something implodes because of this. hawk was an idot and furked up the QB situation beyond all repair. Mac is not Hawk. Give it a rest.

Step away from the crack pipe. The WR position is nothing like the QB position. Also, do you think any kid has any clue who Neinas is? This whole Neinas melt down on this board is just plain assed stupid.

giphy.gif

Brought to you by Howdy Dong

Second bold - CU needed to get the DC hire right, and they took the necessary time to do so. Getting Jim Leavitt, no matter how long it took, will have a much larger impact on the future success of CU than any one individual player that CU reasonably could have signed had they had a DC in place earlier.

Completely agree with this statement. How many games did we lose in which we were leading at half? We could have had a winning season with a better defensive game plan.

A month ago the defensive coaching situation appeared to be getting worse, if that's possible. We had two guys leave by most accounts on their own to a lesser program, and according to Ringo they couldn't find a warm body who wanted the roles. The wheels really appeared to be coming off.

In retrospect, Baer and Larussa departed based on suggestion from Mac, which allowed them to save face and at the same time allowed CU to avoid whatever buyout clause Baer had. He then hires Leavitt--who I think will prove to be best defensive strategist in the P12--for incrementally more than Baer was making. The whole scenario was navigated brilliantly. The only puzzling piece is why it took so long, I hope that story comes out eventually.

Overall, I give Mac a B- to date, can't totally disregard the W-L record. However, he earns an A+ on corrective action this offseason from me.

If you're Kliff Kingsbury and you pull a stunt like that, you likely lose Brown to a fit of laughter.

I think giving jmac a scholarship was a bad business decision. MM could have essentially bought an extra scholarship by paying for his son. We need all the competitive advantages we can get.

Back