1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

A strong walk-on program?

Discussion in 'University of Colorado Recruiting Archive' started by skinsfan55, Jun 30, 2014.

1. skinsfan55

skinsfan55 Club Member Club Member

It looks like HCMM is adding a few fairly high profile walk-ons. Conventional wisdom is that a strong group of walk-ons improves team depth, improves the quality of the scout team, improves special teams and makes the team better as a whole.

Here's a list of PWO's so far for 2014:

QB Ty Gangi
    QB Will Fisher-Colbrie
    WR Dylan Spradling
    ILB Shawn Berry
    OLB Lance Cottrell
    LS Jumari Hawkins

I'm sure I'm forgetting some (the search function is giving me a headache) so go ahead and toss some more names on here, but it looks like we're able to offer something to potential walk-ons. Hopefully these guys and more can increase the intensity of practices, push the guys in front of them and help shore up special teams.

2. boydbuff

boydbuff Club Member Club Member

I think Awini counts for 2014 and is a PWO as well.

Yes, super keen on this development.

3. skinsfan55

skinsfan55 Club Member Club Member

I believe he has to sit out 2014, but I agree... I'm excited for him, though I'd prefer to steer him away from QB.

4. Buffskier

Buffskier Club Member Club Member

I think that they will definitely give Awini a chance to show he can play QB in the PAC-12. If nothing else, he could come in and be a serviceable "wildcat" type QB that could run a strong read option offense, but I agree - they should also be looking at other positions where he would excel.

The PWO's that Macintyre has brought into the program since day 1 are much more talented than in previous seasons and should be very helpful in terms of getting our guys ready to play on Saturdays. There are probably one or two that will grab schollys down the road as well and be contributors on special teams.