What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

AD devotes funds towards supporting football program at local Colo Community College

turftoe

Crazy idea? If you believe that JC/CC kids are a cheap, short-cut to getting a few extra wins, but not sustainable for success you may not like this idea. But, if you believe that a program that is looking to become perennial top-25, compete for PAC-12 every 3-5 year, and make a run at NC every 7-8 years should fill 10-20% of it's two-deep roster with talented JC/CC kids then let's address a long held excuse as to why CU is at a competitive disadvantage with other national programs (the administration seems to be in problem solving mode....).

Problem: CU has traditionally not accepted the credits of out-of-state JC/CC transfers. However, the school adopted a policy in 2003 that accepts in-state JC/CC students transfer credits with a C- or better GPA (www.colorado.edu/ArtsSciences/prospective/transfer_current.html).

Solution: Accepting that changing the academic standards &credits acceptance for enrollment at CU-Boulder will be near impossible. What if CU AD financially subsidized a football program at Front Range CC in Broomfield that became a "pipeline" for CU football players that might not qualify under the University's freshman admission criteria? The team would be an Independent (no leagues close enough) and footed the bill for away games to Kansas, Utah, NM, AZ. They could perhaps practice at a CU owned property in Boulder County and games at Legacy HS? Arguments from the anti-football-academic crowd of CU faculty (and Boulder in general) wouldn't have a leg to stand on b/c the school already has a policy and C- qualified students from CC/JC's are already part of the upper-classmen student body at CU-Boulder

Questions: How much would this cost? I have no idea but would be interesting to get a cost/benefit analysis of cash expenses siphoned from direct Buff football program vs. return on investment to land a solid core every year that may make the difference between sold out Folsom (b/c games in November are determining PAC-12 championship shot) and 75-80% full stadium. Do you think Auburn financially benefited from enrolling Cam Newton? How about other JC/CC pplayers who had impact on a single season?

Where are the holes in this idea?

Re: AD devotes funds tpppotball program at local Colo Community College

I mentioned this as a joke the other day. Of course there was way less detail because there was no point in giving detail on something that would never happen.

In addition to that, FAIL on some other accounts. First, Front Range CC is in Westminster, not Broomfield. Second, not even Legacy HS plays varsity football at Legacy HS. Finally, are you trying to set the record for pointlessly long thread title?

You did ask for holes.

Ha. Ok, touche, but are the holes that I got the geographic placement of FRCC wrong and that Legacy probably plays at some "Adams 12 School" type district stadium??? Or, are the holes in the logic of the concept?

It would cost a lot to establish and take quite awhile before it would pay off.
Not a bad idea though.

You got Northeastern JUCO in Sterling, Pikes Peak Community College in Colorado Springs, Aurora Community College in Aurora, and Colorado Mountain College in one of those mountain towns. I believe JUCO football could work in this state if given a chance.

http://www.colorado.edu/admissions/undergraduate/apply/transfer/transfercredit

The following course work will not be accepted for transfer credit and will not count toward a degree at Boulder:

• any courses in which the grade earned is below a C- (1.7),
  • courses identified by CU-Boulder as remedial, such as remedial English, mathematics, science, and developmental reading,
  • vocational-technical courses that are offered at two-year and proprietary institutions (exceptions may be granted only by the CU-Boulder dean responsible for the student's curriculum--when exceptions appear to be warranted, appropriate department heads make recommendations to their respective deans regarding credit for such courses),
  • courses in religion that constitute specialized religious training or that are doctrinal in nature,
  • credits earned for work experience or through a cooperative education program,
  • outdoor leadership education course work,
  • credits earned in physical education activity courses,
  • courses or programs identified as college orientation.

Pretty sure our two main problems are still in there. Other schools take D grades and other schools take PE credits.

Re: AD dotball program at local Colo Community College

Ha. Ok, touche, but are the holes that I got the geographic placement of FRCC wrong and that Legacy probably plays at some "Adams 12 School" type district stadium??? Or, are the holes in the logic of the concept?

Both, but I was mostly picking on your knowledge of local geography. It would be nice to have this type of set up, but it won't happen anytime soon.

First, CU is worried enough about its own budget during these economic times, that it wouldn't consider subsidizing any community college athletics. Second, there are no CC football programs anywhere near, so they would have to travel out of state for all away games. The budget of a CC athletic department usually can only afford buses, so we,re talking about being out of town for 3 days for each game since they wouldn't want to arrive on game day. This would include a couple of days being cramped on a bus. A plane isn't a possibility, because CU would never foot the bill. If these athletes are at a CC due to not being the greatest students in HS, this kind of situation wouldn't prove to be very helpful for getting passing grades or building any kind of academic foundation for their future time at a university.

Last edited:
I grew up in SE Colorado and doubt that Otero Junior College, Lamar Community College or Trinidad State Junior College would have any kind of resources to add football considering you would have to add a female sport on top of that. JUCO football is probably dead in Colorado

Wow, I forgot how much I did not like automatic acceptance from community colleges, can't help academically...

Interesting concept, but with resources spreads so thin, I don't think it's terribly realistic.

Back