What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Additional Sports

GoBuffs08

Club Member
Club Member
Assuming everything plays out and CU moves to the PAC16, TV get negotiated and we are looking at $18mil a year in revenue......

Any idea how much it would cost CU per year to re-instate baseball and softball? I would hate to be the only team in the PAC that does not have baseball.

Probably not a popular opinion at all, but I don't care about adding any new sports and would rather not see us adding non-revenue sports for quite some time. Would be great to see us get our feet back on the ground and start performing in the sports we already have.

If we get invited based upon what we have, I have no problem leaving it that way for quite some time.

I'd be first in line for baseball season tickets. I'd think about hockey too.

Probably not a popular opinion at all, but I don't care about adding any new sports and would rather not see us adding non-revenue sports for quite some time. Would be great to see us get our feet back on the ground and start performing in the sports we already have.

If we get invited based upon what we have, I have no problem leaving it that way for quite some time.

I agree, mostly. We need to get the programs we have now fixed. THEN add some new ones. The only exception I might make would be tennis. It hasn't been gone that long, and might not be that expensive to make a varsity sport again...

A Swimming + Diving team might be a reasonable addition. Apparently we completely dominate the club ranks, a new facility needs to be built anyway, and the construction of something that would be useful to all students would be a positive political move for the AD.

Edit: But I agree that we should get our revenue sports in order before any of these other moves are made.

i'd love baseball and hockey i think could be a decent draw (esp for students) but financially most feasible might be something like lacrosse/field hockey. they use the same field (Franklin Field, something out at Potts...). DU has a lacrosse only stadium and it's basically a field and stands. it's very nice, but startup would be minimal compared to say hockey. though, i think hockey has a shot to be popular as long as we are dreaming. the Rec is full at capacity over 1000 when CU plays CSU in club hockey.

agree about firming up what we've got first.

Use the extra money to rent the Broomfield event center, move basketball and volleyball there for 2 years and expand the foam dome to an ice size surface.

A Swimming + Diving team might be a reasonable addition. Apparently we completely dominate the club ranks, a new facility needs to be built anyway, and the construction of something that would be useful to all students would be a positive political move for the AD.

Edit: But I agree that we should get our revenue sports in order before any of these other moves are made.

Interesting idea that makes a lot of sense. Facility would allow water polo too.

I woul add men's tennis back in. Then I'd focus on strengthening what we have.

Hockey would be allsome. Get a tourney together with DU, CC, Air Force. Watching DU games at the barn is a great time. Getting ice in the foam dome for a weekend tourney would put more people in the stands than most basketball games.

Interesting idea that makes a lot of sense. Facility would allow water polo too.

I woul add men's tennis back in. Then I'd focus on strengthening what we have.

I thought about the water polo thing, but that doesn't add anything to the pac 10 as it doesn't sanction (is that the right word?) water polo.

It would be expensive. Just about any additional sports would require new facilities. The CU baseball team's stadium was re-built as Prentup Soccer complex, so CU doesn't even have a baseball facility anymore. CU owns a bunch of land on the South Campus that they've been talking about building a sports complex for years at. That's likely where any baseball or softball facilities would go. Minimum facilities investment would be somewhere in the $25MM range, and that's before you hire any coaches, grounds maintenance workers, or give out one scholarship.
Hockey would be just as expensive. They'd have to do a retrofit to the CEC to put down a regulation ice sheet.
Swimming/diving/water polo would need a completely new facility, that would probably be part of an expanded fieldhouse complex that would include weight rooms, indoor football practice facilities, meeting rooms, etc. (at least that's how I would do it). The cost of this would be somewhere in the $50MM range - best guess.

If they just wanted to bring back Tennis, that would be pretty cheap.

obw - I'd be first in line for hockey tickets. That would be da bomb. I would seriously love to have it.

Sacky-Don't you work at a bank? Make it happen! The bank won't miss $25-$50mil. They can chalk it up to bad mortgage loans, and we wont tell.

Sacky-Don't you work at a bank? Make it happen! The bank won't miss $25-$50mil. They can chalk it up to bad mortgage loans, and we wont tell.

You haven't been paying much attention to the news lately, have you?

It would be expensive. Just about any additional sports would require new facilities. The CU baseball team's stadium was re-built as Prentup Soccer complex, so CU doesn't even have a baseball facility anymore. CU owns a bunch of land on the South Campus that they've been talking about building a sports complex for years at. That's likely where any baseball or softball facilities would go. Minimum facilities investment would be somewhere in the $25MM range, and that's before you hire any coaches, grounds maintenance workers, or give out one scholarship.
Hockey would be just as expensive. They'd have to do a retrofit to the CEC to put down a regulation ice sheet.
Swimming/diving/water polo would need a completely new facility, that would probably be part of an expanded fieldhouse complex that would include weight rooms, indoor football practice facilities, meeting rooms, etc. (at least that's how I would do it). The cost of this would be somewhere in the $50MM range - best guess.

If they just wanted to bring back Tennis, that would be pretty cheap.

good thing about ncaa hockey... there is no standard regulation rink... they have all sizes i think the minimum would be nhl size

Hockey would be allsome. Get a tourney together with DU, CC, Air Force. Watching DU games at the barn is a great time. Getting ice in the foam dome for a weekend tourney would put more people in the stands than most basketball games.
I seriously doubt that unless you are going to compare a hockey NCAA tourny game to a pre season womans exbition game with North Bull**** State

We haven't joined a new conference yet and you ****ers are already spending our money. :lol:

:yeahthat:

Priority of Work:
1: Pay off debts/loan (we're still on the hook to the school)
2: New Football coach
3: Upgrade current facilities
4: Build new facilities for existing sports
5: Develop existing sports into at LEAST solid winners, if not powerhouses
6: ???
7: Profit
8: Introduce new sports/bring back sports canceled due to Title IX

Priority of Work:
7: Profit

This.

Especially #7

Regarding facilities, we need to focus on improving things where we can maximize our revenue.

That means football is priority #1 and CECC improvements is priority #2.

My short list:

1. Indoor football practice and training facility. I believe this should be a renovation or complete reconstruction of Balch Fieldhouse that somewhat repurposes it for this need while also making it one of the top indoor Track & Field facilities (a sport we can be very good in).

2. Enclose the South end zone and designate a good part of it as a 2nd student section. More club level and suites should also be added as part of this process. All in all, this should push Folsom capacity a bit over 60k, increase the noise and home field advantage when visitors are in the red zone on that side of the field, impress recruits, and boost revenue from home games.

3. Bring the CECC up to a new standard by improving concessions and merchandising, adding video boards, ribbon boards, light show and a new sound system, creating a small student section directly behind the other basket near where the players come out, and building a club level on that side with higher-end dining, alcohol service and premium priced tickets.

Once that stuff's done, I think we can start the conversation of a South Campus Sports Complex that includes Men's and Women's Tennis, Baseball and Softball, improvements for Cross Country and whatever else makes sense down there (lacrosse fields and locker rooms?).

I also think that we need to find a partner for skiing that can do for that program (prestige, exposure and revenue) what Colorado National Golf Club is doing for our men's and women's golf programs. Can't we find a ski resort that we can partner with in the same way or purchase outright? I'm not sure Eldora Mountain can be the answer, but there are other options. Regardless, CU should be dominant in skiing and I'm sick of losing to DU. Plus, an affiliated ski resort would be a great venue for hosting Buff fundraiser functions. This is the type of scenario that could endow skiing and make it a revenue producer for the AD in the same way golf is heading.

Finally, in the same vein as the skiing paragraph... we are in 1 of a handful of US states that loves hockey and has good youth leagues. CU needs to have hockey as a varsity sport. We need to make this happen. Rec center needs to be re-done so we can handle most practices on campus and the Broomfield Event Center can handle our home games for a while. I don't ever want to see the CECC become a hockey facility because it screws up sight lines and the logistics (practice times, locker rooms, game times, etc.) get unwieldy. Maybe make the Rec Center rink able to handle D1 hockey and the crowds or look at Broomfield as a permanent home. But CU should have hockey and we should be good at it. In non-revenue sports, the 2 things that CU should always be challenging for a national title in are winter and endurance sports.

Priority of Work:

:lol: rep

Last edited:
So, we are talking about joining the Pac whatever AND adding hockey? :lol:

So, we are talking about joining the Pac whatever AND adding hockey? :lol:

One of the BIG drawbacks of joining the Pac whatever is the cost of traveling with the non revenue sports. It'll cost an arm and a leg, especially assuming the non rev sports play ALL the Pac whatever teams.

hockey wouldnt be bad... WCHA would die for CU and a 3rd of those teams are a 45 min to 2 hour drive

hockey wouldnt be bad... WCHA would die for CU and a 3rd of those teams are a 45 min to 2 hour drive
Listen. IF CU joins the Pac ?, AND IF they add at least one men's and women's sport, they sure as hell will not add a sport in which they will have to be a member of a totally different conference. IF they join the Pac ? and add any sports, they will add baseball/softball, tennis/softball, swimming/diving, soccer/softball or some such sport that the Pac ? schools participate in. Not hockey.

Back