What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Additional Sports

why... DU is sunbelt and WCHA... what about Minnesota or Wisconson WCHA big10... oh how about Michigan, Ohio State, Sparty big10 and CCHA or Notre Lame and the CCHA

why... DU is sunbelt and WCHA... what about Minnesota or Wisconson WCHA big10... oh how about Michigan, Ohio State, Sparty big10 and CCHA or Notre Lame and the CCHA

I get that. But, for one, they've been long established in those places. Seondly, They have a full load of varsity sports. CU has the very minimum to maintain D1 status. If they joined the Pac ?, the pressure would be for them to add sports in which they could compete in the Pac ?. Now, if CU had a full plate of sports, then, sure, I could see them adding hockey. But they don't and they won't. Sorry.

Listen. IF CU joins the Pac ?, AND IF they add at least one men's and women's sport, they sure as hell will not add a sport in which they will have to be a member of a totally different conference. IF they join the Pac ? and add any sports, they will add baseball/softball, tennis/softball, swimming/diving, soccer/softball or some such sport that the Pac ? schools participate in. Not hockey.

I don't see why that would be the case. After football and basketball, I don't think they give 2 sh!ts what sports CU participates in. After all, this is 99% about the money.

The other 1% is about the prestige. So imho they're overjoyed if CU doesn't make them increase travel costs for loss leader sports while we focus on non-revenue sports where we have a chance of winning national championships and placing high in the annual Director's Cup rankings.

(And to please DBT, wrestling may be a sport we would add before hockey. It's cheaper, we'd be competitive and it is a current Pac 10 sport. Be another good use for a reconstructed Balch.)

Hockey in the Pac 16? Really? Hillarious grasp of reality. I have a few more to add to that list:

A Rifle/Shooting team - That'll prove we're not a bunch of hippies, and the nordic team could branch out into the biathalon.

A Velodrome - Boulder is all about biking anyway.

Damn Boulder Creek, build a marina, and dominate in collegate rowing.

Sheesh.

Assuming everything plays out and CU moves to the PAC16, TV get negotiated and we are looking at $18mil a year in revenue......

Any idea how much it would cost CU per year to re-instate baseball and softball? I would hate to be the only team in the PAC that does not have baseball.

What about lacrosse!

Hockey in the Pac 16? Really? Hillarious grasp of reality. I have a few more to add to that list:

A Rifle/Shooting team - That'll prove we're not a bunch of hippies, and the nordic team could branch out into the biathalon.

A Velodrome - Boulder is all about biking anyway.

Damn Boulder Creek, build a marina, and dominate in collegate rowing.

Sheesh.

Rowing is a possibility, actually. Only because it's a women's sport that allows up to 20 scholarships per NCAA rules. It's an inexpensive sport that allows a university to look good for what was once called Title IX considerations. KSU, for example, has rowing. They award scholarships to a bunch of girls from in-state even if they have no rowing background but just seem to be good athletes. I'm not sure there's even a body of water near Manhattan where they can train or compete. For CU, I bet we could do something up in Nederland (where Boulder Creek has its headwaters, is already dammed and there's a decent body of water). Failing that, there's always Boulder Reservoir.

Field Hockey's another one that gets used in this way. It's 12 scholarships in a women's sport. Add both of those and you've banked 32 scholarships against men's sports. On the men's side, that would allow Tennis (4.5), Wrestling (9.9) and Hockey (18) for 32.4 scholarships. Men's Soccer is also a 9.9 scholarship sport.

http://www.hsfootballweb.com/ncaa%20scholarships.htm

Barker Res. in Nederland would be COLD year round. Boulder Res would make more sense. One of the racketball courts in the Rec has been converted to a rowing studio with machines, so there is already some kind of organized rowing presence on campus. Field Hockey makes sense to me since equipment costs are virtually nil, we've already got a venue (soccer field) or Franklin...and it elevates our "gentile" yet hairy armpit/prep school girl on girl chic.

Based on the sports that the Pac-10 sponsors, I would think the men/women pairings would be:

Baseball/Softball
Wrestling/Gymnastics

And Swimming/Diving in both, but only 5 Pac-10 teams currently have Men's S&D squads.

Aside from that we would only lack a Men's Tennis team and Men's/Women's Rowing.

The Pac-10 would probably prefer their schools to field powerful teams in other sports beyond their "core group of sports", in order to fit their "Conference of Champions" motto. So CU investing more into the ski teams would be a top priority.

I would be curious if Rugby ever gets NCAA sanctioning, the Pac-10 has some really good club teams in that sport and CU would fit into that as well.

Rowing is a possibility, actually. Only because it's a women's sport that allows up to 20 scholarships per NCAA rules. It's an inexpensive sport that allows a university to look good for what was once called Title IX considerations. KSU, for example, has rowing. They award scholarships to a bunch of girls from in-state even if they have no rowing background but just seem to be good athletes. I'm not sure there's even a body of water near Manhattan where they can train or compete. For CU, I bet we could do something up in Nederland (where Boulder Creek has its headwaters, is already dammed and there's a decent body of water). Failing that, there's always Boulder Reservoir.

Field Hockey's another one that gets used in this way. It's 12 scholarships in a women's sport. Add both of those and you've banked 32 scholarships against men's sports. On the men's side, that would allow Tennis (4.5), Wrestling (9.9) and Hockey (18) for 32.4 scholarships. Men's Soccer is also a 9.9 scholarship sport.

http://www.hsfootballweb.com/ncaa%20scholarships.htm

There actually is already a women's crew team as a club sport, probably wouldn't be too hard to convert it to a scholarship sport. That's what they did with women's soccer. One of my roommates for a couple of years was on the women's club soccer team her freshman year and made the D1 team when they converted the following year.

I don't see why that would be the case. After football and basketball, I don't think they give 2 sh!ts what sports CU participates in. After all, this is 99% about the money.

The other 1% is about the prestige. So imho they're overjoyed if CU doesn't make them increase travel costs for loss leader sports while we focus on non-revenue sports where we have a chance of winning national championships and placing high in the annual Director's Cup rankings.

(And to please DBT, wrestling may be a sport we would add before hockey. It's cheaper, we'd be competitive and it is a current Pac 10 sport. Be another good use for a reconstructed Balch.)

I agree!!!! That's why TexASS has made so much money. Texas Monthly did a great article http://www.texasmonthly.com/2008-11-01/feature.php on the rise of Texas athletics from the 90's to now -- They wanted to be great at every sport so they decided to limit the ones they compete in compared to say Ohio State which has sports in almost everything. This way they had the money to hire the best coaches and build the best facilities for every sport they compete in. Make no mistake, I'm not saying that I wouldn't like to see CU have some more sports at all but I think we should focus on building up the ones we have now and then maybe adding some more later

Back