What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Admissions standards discussion #10,324,597. Doesn't belong in a recruit thread.

I am on point, The standards for the football team must return to the way they were for Mac, He was able to get in players that could never get in today. Per CJ he stated a 3rd of his class could not get into C.U. today.

I was an automatic in-state admit to CU based on SAT and GPA in 1984. I doubt that I would get in at all today. Standards change. If I graduated from high school now with my 1984 grades and SAT scores, I wound have probably ended up a CSU Rammie, or Mesa State. Ugh.

Juco or not, I'm just trying to decide if stars are a better way to evaluate, or offers?

I'm not sure either. As an aside, does anyone have an opinion on how in n out hamburgers compare to roadside hamburgers available in texas and chokelahoma?

Not sure if you're serious, but, I'd gamble on local joints - it's more of an adventure (and a crap-shoot). Those folks tend to love their food, so if the parking lot is full, it's a good (but not sure) sign. I'm just not the world's biggest in-n-out burger fan, it's good, but not good enough to pass up all the greasy spoons. Those fat bastards ain't that way for no reason, ya know.

Not sure if you're serious, but, I'd gamble on local joints - it's more of an adventure (and a crap-shoot). Those folks tend to love their food, so if the parking lot is full, it's a good (but not sure) sign. I'm just not the world's biggest in-n-out burger fan, it's good, but not good enough to pass up all the greasy spoons. Those fat bastards ain't that way for no reason, ya know.

But have you ever had Smashburger? I'm no fan of In n Out, but you've got to admit that Smashburger is at least as good as though local joints (even with full parking lots) and in most cases even better.

No argument. Are there any in the DC area that you know of? Hard to find a good burger (five guys is ok) around here for a decent price.
Gosh, does our burger discussion belong in an admission standards discussion that doesn't belong in a recruiting discussion? :huh:

I was an automatic in-state admit to CU based on SAT and GPA in 1984. I doubt that I would get in at all today. Standards change. If I graduated from high school now with my 1984 grades and SAT scores, I wound have probably ended up a CSU Rammie, or Mesa State. Ugh.

And what's wrong with Colorado Mesa University?

No argument. Are there any in the DC area that you know of? Hard to find a good burger (five guys is ok) around here for a decent price.
Gosh, does our burger discussion belong in an admission standards discussion that doesn't belong in a recruiting discussion? :huh:

Someone rep him please.

Ok Im a dumb ass..All the ex C.U. coaches say they can't get players into C.U.. I give up. I wave the white flag, I will move to France. Like Alec Baldwin.

Yes, they complain all the time about it. Doesn't mean they are right. The last time CU was truly restrictive was under Barnett during the "scandal". Since then, admissions has been more the generous using the "window" to admit high academic risks. Without naming names, there have been a ton under Hawkins and Embree. When was the last time a CU recruit cleared the NCAA clearinghouse but was denied admission to CU? CU Coaches might have to work a little harder to convince admissions the recruit can "move" towards graduation at CU, its more work. But with the additional academic support and the right plan, we are going to be fine going forward.

Regards to JUCOs. The new NCAA standards going into effect in 2014 will level the playing field somewhat. As it stands now, CU does work at a disadvantage here.
1. CU does not transfer anything below a C (most programs transfer D-)
2. CU does not transfer credits from classes that do not apply to a Major offered at CU. So JUCOs who load up on basket weaving and P.E. are going to struggle to get into CU. It does severely limit the JUCO pool. Looking more for HS qualifiers who went to JUCO to improve their stock.

Now what ties both issues together are the majors offered at CU. The CU "jock track" is a psychology degree (no offense to anyone, I have a PSYC degree) or the like vs. general studies at KjSU. So keeping student athletes eligible and moving towards graduation is more difficult for "high risk" recruits at CU vs. KjSU or many other schools we compete with.

Yes, they complain all the time about it. Doesn't mean they are right. The last time CU was truly restrictive was under Barnett during the "scandal". Since then, admissions has been more the generous using the "window" to admit high academic risks. Without naming names, there have been a ton under Hawkins and Embree. When was the last time a CU recruit cleared the NCAA clearinghouse but was denied admission to CU? CU Coaches might have to work a little harder to convince admissions the recruit can "move" towards graduation at CU, its more work. But with the additional academic support and the right plan, we are going to be fine going forward.

Regards to JUCOs. The new NCAA standards going into effect in 2014 will level the playing field somewhat. As it stands now, CU does work at a disadvantage here.
2. CU does not transfer credits from classes that do not apply to a Major offered at CU. So JUCOs who load up on basket weaving and P.E. are going to struggle to get into CU. It does severely limit the JUCO pool. Looking more for HS qualifiers who went to JUCO to improve their stock.

Now what ties both issues together are the majors offered at CU. The CU "jock track" is a psychology degree (no offense to anyone, I have a PSYC degree) or the like vs. general studies at KjSU. So keeping student athletes eligible and moving towards graduation is more difficult for "high risk" recruits at CU vs. KjSU or many other schools we compete with.

^^^^^^^^ This. Also keeping guys eligible/in school seems to have been more of an issue so I hope they get even more academic support than before.

Juicy Burger is pretty good for local. Tried Cherry Cricket recently and while good I think it was overhyped.

Good stuff to know! I was wondering what the issue was with juco players. I guess what im trying to figure out is if you are going juco to beef up the grades why wouldnt you do that? Smdh

:eek:fftopic:

...well, Daaah started it.

moett - I think a fair number of guys who go the juco route expect that their incredibly superior performance will be noticed by the BCS world, and they fail to address the academic rigor that has been lacking all along. Fortunately, there are the diligent souls who see things differently and use the opportunity as a springboard and a second chance to reach their potential on the field and in the classroom.

My first 5 guys was on the hill before the UCLA game this year. Not only was the burger good, but I ordered fries and after the guy filled a container with fries, he put it in a bigger bag with the burger and dumped more fries in. Nice.

BTW, I know we're all especially hopeful your son finds his way back to Boulder. What an asset he will be!

My first 5 guys was on the hill before the UCLA game this year. Not only was the burger good, but I ordered fries and after the guy filled a container with fries, he put it in a bigger bag with the burger and dumped more fries in. Nice.

suckered back into digression...
best burger I've ever had (multiple times) was in Pine at Zoka's. Crazy good, and easily worth the $12. Just up the road at The Bucksnort is righteous as well.

I've got a few, and based on your name, they're in your area. I'll PM you.

Back