1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

After that punt, I'm done with HCMM

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by wsp4820, Oct 4, 2015.

1. wsp4820

wsp4820 Sally Club Member Junta Member

Gutless, stupid, embarrassing. I'm done.

Goose likes this.
  2. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Didn't get it other than he was trying to lose by only 14. I agree with Ya.

ebeyg likes this.
  3. SBG

SBG Formerly known as EFNMB Club Member Junta Member

No faith in the offense. 77 yards rushing.

4. Sykobuff

Sykobuff Club Member Club Member

Yet he goes forbit on 4th and 15 on his own 20. Stupid and gutless is right.

5. ladyblaise

ladyblaise Club Member Club Member

worst idea ever.

6. SBG

SBG Formerly known as EFNMB Club Member Junta Member

For that I was thinking Oregon should have run it in.

Sykobuff likes this.
  7. CanadianDuck

CanadianDuck Well-Known Member

I was so confused when he sent out the punt team. I mean sure Utah ran a brilliant punt fake against the Ducks last week, but there is no way that would have ever worked twice. I had assumed Oregon was the only program in the Pac-12 with an awful coach, but its nice to know that misery loves company.

Goose likes this.
  8. skinsfan55

skinsfan55 Club Member Club Member

One of the biggest complaints people have about the team is the lack of toughness and killer instinct they have. Nowhere was this more highlighted than when they waved the white flag by punting in that situation.

9. CitizenKane

CitizenKane Club Member Club Member

Waiving the white flag is definitely the correct term. Not sure if HCMM did this because he could tell that both lines had already more or less quit or if the lines quit because HCMM quit on them with this call. That being said, both lines were just destroyed by Oregon in this game (after Oregon's lines were killed by Utah the week before). Sure, the offensive line was down two left tackles, it wasn't just the tackles that were beat. To me this domination was the most troubling aspect of the game.....which I suppose is a good thing because usually after an Oregon game, everything is troubling.

10. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

His lucky coin told him to preserve the non blowout.

BorrachoBuff likes this.
  11. aghcsm

aghcsm Well-Known Member

This was a no-win situation. 90% chance they don't make the first down, 80% chance they don't stop the Duck rushes. 5-10% chance Oregon fumbles. Of course I'm pulling these numbers from nowhere, but odds favored MM's choice. Guts is another matter.​

NBDefektor and buff4bcs1985 like this.
  12. skinsfan55

skinsfan55 Club Member Club Member

Even going for it and falling short sends a message that we're tough, willing to take chances and want to beat the defending champs. Punting is weak, surrendering and showing we don't have any guts.

Bufffan68 likes this.
  13. SINKRATZ

SINKRATZ Club Member Club Member

Not buying the odds argument. If you punt there, you have to stop Oregon twice on offense to have a chance to tie. That's hard enough when the clock isn't working against you. You think the odds of that are better than picking up a couple yards on 4th down, preserving the clock, and hopefully only having to stop Oregon once?

Gutless.

14. White_Rabbit

White_Rabbit Club Member Club Member

They were just happy to be so close

15. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

I turned off the game at that point, since it was hopeless (and late). Still, expected to lose this one, think we can still finish 5-8. If he does that he'll get another year. But with this (small) recruiting class looking pretty much like all the others with mostly a mix of 2 and 3 stars, when and how will we start catching up? Maybe it's time for another magic RG bullet.

16. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

The upsetness. Alive and well.

17. BorrachoBuff

BorrachoBuff Club Member Club Member

HCMM is in over his head. It's so obvious that he is not a P5 caliber coach. Is he a nice guy? Yes. Is he well intentioned? Yes. Does he have a magic coin that he carries in his pocket? Yes. But we need somebody who has been around a big program and knows what it's like having big expectations, a la Mcelwain. HCMM seems satisfied with just being somewhat competitive against the likes of Oregon, UCLA, etc.

18. MiamiBuffs

MiamiBuffs Wᴉɐɯᴉ qnɟɟs Club Member

They have a lot more athletes than we do. And those athletes were clearly faster. We knew that going in and this game was expect to be a rout. Instead, in a sign that were slowly getting better without having the same Jimmy's and Joes they do, we kept the hopeless game close and showed more slow improvement.

We have to recruit better.

Even a mighty mighty program like Oregon can have problems at the QB position and they clearly are suffering.

SuperiorBuff likes this.
  19. CUFan

CUFan Welcome back Club Member

5-8 would be bad. Patience is gone everywhere around this program (as it should be). There will not be a positive attitude going into next season coming off 5-8. I don't think 5-8 makes it certain MikeMac will be back. 5-8 is under achieving.

20. aghcsm

aghcsm Well-Known Member

Was it just 2 yards? If so please disregard my "odds" argument, that was just ridiculous. I was following by radio and had the impression it was 10-15 yards to 1st down.

21. BuffDog

BuffDog Club Member Club Member

I thought it was about 5 yards with 7 or so minutes to go and we were down by 14. As I sat in the stadium a little past midnight with the rain starting to return, I was thinking you have to go for it to have a chance and was disappointed to see the punt team come on. Game over.

22. zbuff

zbuff Club Member Club Member

You're right they clearly have better athletes, and despite their issues at QB I thought we'd lose. You're wrong about this being an expected rout, as the 6.5 point line attests.

23. SINKRATZ

I believe it was 4th and 4. Down 14 with 7:10 to play. That's no-brainer. I really want him to explain that call during the presser.

Goose likes this.
  24. Big Jim

Big Jim WTF? Club Member

MacIntyre is conservative in stress situations with his offense. Look at the decisions he made vs UCLA last season when CU had the ball and the momentum and he played for OT instead of the win in regulation. I'm not sure why anybody is surprised MacIntyre called for a punt in that situation last night or why that would be a pivot point on judging him.

25. aghcsm

aghcsm Well-Known Member

Close enough. I'm with you all.

26. Kuratz

Kuratz Well-Known Member

We've had 2 Pac wins in the past 3 seasons, one of which was a small miracle with Wazzu ****ting the bed. ...and yet HCMM doesn't have the cojones to be bold and just ****ing go for it. Unreal.

How CU has stayed this down for this long is baffling.

27. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

Clearly, our only hope was to go for it there. We were stunned and pissed that he punted. But I doubt the players cared much. Looked like they were ready for a nice hot shower and a cup of hot chocolate by then anyway. Maybe Mac saw that as well.

28. SINKRATZ

The Wazzu win was under Embree.

29. Idot Buff

Idot Buff Club Member Club Member

I have written off MM, unfortunately. The blueprint for him turning around the program was to take our 2/3 star players, coach them up, and have the team play beyond its talent. After winning a few signature games, MM would begin to recruit 3/4 star players, and really turn the program around.

It seems clear that MM is failing at coaching players over their talent level, we have failed to win any meaningful games, and our recruiting is horrible. I would love to hear how the future for this program looks promising. Especially frustrating is even with Rick's unbelievable delivery of new facilities, we have seen no benefit. I guess our 2 star players are now in a better locker room, and our coaches have great views from their offices.

We remain completely irrelevant, and I would love to hear a rationalization how that will change any time soon under the current staff.

Big Jim likes this.
  30. DavisBuff

DavisBuff Club Member Club Member

I have not giving up on this staff , especially with Levitt on board. Mmac is not a gambler. I can live with that.
    buffs are obviously improving. If Mmac staff had recruited better the first two years the improvement would be quicker; but we are closing the gap. We need to improve recruiting by hiring better recruiters. Maybe 2 more staff changes Focused on recruiting and let the facilities and flat irons do the rest. If we only win 1 more game we need a new HC, but 2 games should buy them another year. McCartney was 1-10 his third season. MMac is going in the right direction, just slowly.
    I love Sefos heart and determination, but I think when we get a more accurate passer, this team will make huge jump up. Picture Goff on our team. One player switch and we are 100% better. Connecting on all of those missed throws and we are 5-0. I hate to say that cuz I have a lot of respect for the kid, but the missed are what kills this offense.
    If Apsay or Martinez can be more accurate we have enough talent around them to be a bowl team.
    Waiting another year sucks, but starting over sucks worse. I think throwing in the towel after a frustrating loss to Oregon is a mistake.