What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

After that punt, I'm done with HCMM

MacIntyre has a defensive background. The defense and defensive recruiting (particularly in the front seven) has been very bad in his tenure. Trying to figure out why that is.
Got it. I think there was an error in your post that made it confusing.

I have not giving up on this staff , especially with Levitt on board. Mmac is not a gambler. I can live with that.
buffs are obviously improving. If Mmac staff had recruited better the first two years the improvement would be quicker; but we are closing the gap. We need to improve recruiting by hiring better recruiters. Maybe 2 more staff changes Focused on recruiting and let the facilities and flat irons do the rest. If we only win 1 more game we need a new HC, but 2 games should buy them another year. McCartney was 1-10 his third season. MMac is going in the right direction, just slowly.
I love Sefos heart and determination, but I think when we get a more accurate passer, this team will make huge jump up. Picture Goff on our team. One player switch and we are 100% better. Connecting on all of those missed throws and we are 5-0. I hate to say that cuz I have a lot of respect for the kid, but the missed are what kills this offense.
If Apsay or Martinez can be more accurate we have enough talent around them to be a bowl team.
Waiting another year sucks, but starting over sucks worse. I think throwing in the towel after a frustrating loss to Oregon is a mistake.

I am most tired of CU fans who are all over the place in defending this staff...you are not giving up on the staff but want at least two of them fired, HUH? You did not say one thing in your post about why you think MacIntyre is the man for the job.

Shouldn't have apparently entrusted Baer to recruit us 35 DL/LB that belong in the MWC. Or dare I wonder, Mac's eye for talent wasn't quite that incredible?

It is frustrating to watch. Because this is largely the same group that will be back next year. You really notice the talent differential between our front seven guys and the rest of the conference when you watch other teams week to week.

It is frustrating to watch. Because this is largely the same group that will be back next year. You really notice the talent differential between our front seven guys and the rest of the conference when you watch other teams week to week.

hard to get excited knowing most of this team will return next year. Senior Sefo.. offense minus Spruce.. another go on the OL from Bernardi.. I guess we get Tupuo back and hopefully Gillam. Meh.

Seeing Gamboa run around out there just depresses me. Nothing against him, he would probably be a decent MLB in the 90s when pass coverage and sideline to sideline pursuit wasn't the name of the game, but now.. eek.

I went through three separate google image searches, before I found just the right one.

And yes, I'm aware of the inappropriate message.
galleryimage1189171464-feb-4-2012-600x395.jpg

Truck_load_of_ponderosa_pine,_Edward_Hines_Lumber_Co,_operations_in_Malheur_National_Forest,_Grant_County,_Oregon,_July_1942.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
I have written off MM, unfortunately. The blueprint for him turning around the program was to take our 2/3 star players, coach them up, and have the team play beyond its talent. After winning a few signature games, MM would begin to recruit 3/4 star players, and really turn the program around.

It seems clear that MM is failing at coaching players over their talent level, we have failed to win any meaningful games, and our recruiting is horrible. I would love to hear how the future for this program looks promising. Especially frustrating is even with Rick's unbelievable delivery of new facilities, we have seen no benefit. I guess our 2 star players are now in a better locker room, and our coaches have great views from their offices.

We remain completely irrelevant, and I would love to hear a rationalization how that will change any time soon under the current staff.
Recruiting is no longer horrible, fyi

Seeing Gamboa run around out there just depresses me. Nothing against him, he would probably be a decent MLB in the 90s when pass coverage and sideline to sideline pursuit wasn't the name of the game, but now..

I've come to appreciate Gamboa. He obviously isn't fast enough to be a P12 LB, but he plays with heart whistle-to-whistle. The other LB's do not.

I am most tired of CU fans who are all over the place in defending this staff...you are not giving up on the staff but want at least two of them fired, HUH? You did not say one thing in your post about why you think MacIntyre is the man for the job.
obviously, I disagree. Do you not think you can have a good overall staff that could use improvement in one area? I like the staff overall. I think they can be even better if we bring in one or two coaches to recruit better. How is that all over the board? What I see so far is slow progress with enough positive signs to continue to support him rather than changing now. To be clear.
Positives I see:
Switching DC. Levitt and Tumpkin are big upgrades, especially considering Mmac's uncertainty at the time of hire.
Game day coaching is good. Maybe to conservative but overall good. Missed passes kill us.
Much Improved talent.
Team has fewer mental mistakes. Appear well prepared.
Fewer penalties.
Recruiting is better this year.
Mmac appears committed to turning us around. Honest, good guy who is unlikely to screw the program. I imagine he's good with boosters.
Experience in p5 conferences, NFL.
Players play hard for him.
Is that enough of a list as to why it would be premature to fire him and look for a better replacement?

hard to get excited knowing most of this team will return next year. Senior Sefo.. offense minus Spruce.. another go on the OL from Bernardi.. I guess we get Tupuo back and hopefully Gillam. Meh.

Seeing Gamboa run around out there just depresses me. Nothing against him, he would probably be a decent MLB in the 90s when pass coverage and sideline to sideline pursuit wasn't the name of the game, but now.. eek.

Rick Gamboa wouldnt have been good enough to walk on at lb for us in the 90s.

obviously, I disagree. Do you not think you can have a good overall staff that could use improvement in one area? I like the staff overall. I think they can be even better if we bring in one or two coaches to recruit better. How is that all over the board? What I see so far is slow progress with enough positive signs to continue to support him rather than changing now. To be clear.
Positives I see:
Switching DC. Levitt and Tumpkin are big upgrades, especially considering Mmac's uncertainty at the time of hire.
Game day coaching is good. Maybe to conservative but overall good. Missed passes kill us.
Much Improved talent.
Team has fewer mental mistakes. Appear well prepared.
Fewer penalties.
Recruiting is better this year.
Mmac appears committed to turning us around. Honest, good guy who is unlikely to screw the program. I imagine he's good with boosters.
Experience in p5 conferences, NFL.
Players play hard for him.
Is that enough of a list as to why it would be premature to fire him and look for a better replacement?
Except for fifteen yard penalties...

Positives I see:

Much Improved talent.

This is a fallacy that keeps getting thrown out in support of MacIntyre. The coach does have some good qualities and has improved the CU football program in quite a few ways, but the one critical area that MacIntyre has not helped out the CU program is by bringing in "much improved talent".

This is a fallacy that keeps getting thrown out in support of MacIntyre. The coach does have some good qualities and has improved the CU football program in quite a few ways, but the one critical area that MacIntyre has not helped out the CU program is by bringing in "much improved talent".
If I were to say anything positive about recruiting it would be that it "appears" that our trajectory is positive. We are recruiting higher quality players and are being shown more and more interest by higher quality players. It appears, at least, that our upcoming recruiting class will be an upgrade.

There is a reason why it is generally said that you need to give a guy 5 years.

Can someone please tell me what happened with the assistant? I've seen it referenced in a few threads but I haven't seen the description of what actually happened anywhere. Thanks.

I've come to appreciate Gamboa. He obviously isn't fast enough to be a P12 LB, but he plays with heart whistle-to-whistle. The other LB's do not.

Yes. As I said before, Gamboa is the kind of guy who is supposed to play when he's a RS-Junior or RS-Senior, is an expert on the defense, and is able to read/diagnose things so he's playing faster than he is. This is a RS-Frosh thrust into things before he's ready and he's playing his ass off.

Maybe if we'd pay players or set up inappropriate rendezvous with those of the female persuasion would help recruiting.

Ever see Johnny b good? ;)

If I were to say anything positive about recruiting it would be that it "appears" that our trajectory is positive. We are recruiting higher quality players and are being shown more and more interest by higher quality players. It appears, at least, that our upcoming recruiting class will be an upgrade.

There is a reason why it is generally said that you need to give a guy 5 years.

But how many of the new guys in year 3 recruiting will play as true frosh? We may be upgrading,but not quickly enough for a coach to keep his job 5 years.

Can someone please tell me what happened with the assistant? I've seen it referenced in a few threads but I haven't seen the description of what actually happened anywhere. Thanks.

He was arguing with a ref and screwed a vital defensive stop when he did. MM was livid! Loved that, but hated the penalty.

MM obviously cares. Just wish we had better talent to go around.

Moehler got pile driven after the play with no flag right in front of Tumpkin. Tumpkin lost his sh!t at the ref and drew a 15 yard flag that put the Ducks in the red zone. He was so hot after the flag that he was coming onto the field toward the ref. MacIntyre jumped in front of Tumpkin, pushed him back (hard) and chewed his ass out.

Frankly, I'm not all that upset at Tumpkin. He's got to be smarter, but the reaction from a coach shows the type of guy players will run through a wall for. MacIntyre did what a HC is supposed to do there.

The bar was not set to high. Much improved talent should be expected. That said,
Thompson, Awuzie, Carroll, Franke, Lopez, Wheatherspoon, Gillam, Olugbode Fields, Lee, Adkins, Carr are all P5 players and we have much better depth.
It's a good start that needs to be improved upon to get back to being a good team.

This current recruiting cycle does appear to be a step up for the current coaching staff. But it is their first step up in four cycles, three of which they own all by themselves.

The bar was not set to high. Much improved talent should be expected. That said,
Thompson, Awuzie, Carroll, Franke, Lopez, Wheatherspoon, Gillam, Olugbode Fields, Lee, Adkins, Carr are all P5 players and we have much better depth.
It's a good start that needs to be improved upon to get back to being a good team.

Do we have much better depth? We may in some areas, but I would say we still lack it in most areas.

Back