What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

After watching Ore, MU and Uga this weeekend...

leftybuff

Unreconstructed Luddite
Club Member
I posted this on the "Other" board too. I do really want to know what others think because I came away more convinced this weekend than ever that the lack of a legit QB running threat is going to be a MAJOR impediment to the CU version of the spread-no-huddle.

Every team that runs that O, has the QB pull the ball occasionally on the inside draw and go back to the weakside. Even friggin' Matthew Stafford did it. That guy runs no faster than Cody. IMO, this whole O relies on misdirection and making the D stay home. That is the same concept as the old triple option wishbone. But if the D never has to worry about the QB running that litle counter, you are outnumbered in the hole because the LB's scrape and fill like muthas.

Am I missing something here? Enlighten me O football gurus.....

OU runs a version of the spread and Sam Bradford never runs the ball.

Of course, OU's line is full of 5th year seniors who average about 25 starts a piece, they have a sick TE and big bruising RB's.

OU and their defense is awesome too.

I was surprised watching South Florida's midget QB running the ball some with the spread.

But do not be concerned. I bet the Buffs run out of the shotgun less than 20 plays against West Virginia.

Of course, OU's line is full of 5th year seniors who average about 25 starts a piece, they have a sick TE and big bruising RB's.

I was surprised watching South Florida's midget QB running the ball some with the spread.

But do not be concerned. I bet the Buffs run out of the shotgun less than 20 plays against West Virginia.

OU does line it up in the I from time to time too, no? I did not get to see their spanking of UW, but as you point out, OU could probably run the wing T with their OL and it would work.

OU does line it up in the I from time to time too, no? I did not get to see their spanking of UW, but as you point out, OU could probably run the wing T with their OL and it would work.

Yes, they do line up in the I some -- but I would bet that 65-75% of their plays are run out of the shotgun.

I posted this on the "Other" board too. I do really want to know what others think because I came away more convinced this weekend than ever that the lack of a legit QB running threat is going to be a MAJOR impediment to the CU version of the spread-no-huddle.

Every team that runs that O, has the QB pull the ball occasionally on the inside draw and go back to the weakside. Even friggin' Matthew Stafford did it. That guy runs no faster than Cody. IMO, this whole O relies on misdirection and making the D stay home. That is the same concept as the old triple option wishbone. But if the D never has to worry about the QB running that litle counter, you are outnumbered in the hole because the LB's scrape and fill like muthas.

Am I missing something here? Enlighten me O football gurus.....

This is why I think Tyler Hansen is the starting CU QB next year, or at least partway through the year. They may give him a quarter or two per game to get into game speed, but from all I have heard, he is fast, accurate, has a cannon for an arm, and all that goes with it. Interesting to hear Cody will not start four years. I am anxious to see if all I hear is true or not. Don't want to fall to the 'most popular QB is the backup QB', since he is not even the backup due to RS status, and I like Cody.

This is why I think Tyler Hansen is the starting CU QB next year, or at least partway through the year. They may give him a quarter or two per game to get into game speed, but from all I have heard, he is fast, accurate, has a cannon for an arm, and all that goes with it. Interesting to hear Cody will not start four years. I am anxious to see if all I hear is true or not. Don't want to fall to the 'most popular QB is the backup QB', since he is not even the backup due to RS status, and I like Cody.

Where do you hear this?

I'm fairly certain I heard many people say that Ballanger was THE guy and was gonna start this year too....and look where that got him

I think next year's starter really depends on the type of offense we are going to run. If this is going to be an I-formation, play action passing type offense -- then Cody Hawkins is going to be the guy. If it is going to be a shotgun formation, read-option type offense -- then Cody Hawkins is NOT going to be the guy.

Either way-- they need to tailor their offense to their personnel, and make sure the personnel they recruit will fit that offense.

Where do you hear this?

Just on different sites. From what I am hearing the coaches are shocked at how Hansen is picking up the O and the skills he really has, and apparently a few have said that they would be surprised if Hansen is not the starting QB next year. I just take that with a grain of salt, since, yes, we did hear that about Ballenger to a lessor extent, and how do you give the starting job to someone who has not played any games at the college level yet? I don't think you can sit Cody for someone untested like that. i do see him being the No 2 guy and getting reps next year and then the possibility is that Cody does not start his senior year.

Only time will tell if these come true; talk is just that until the action takes place.

Unless Cody has an awful year, I don't see how any redshirt freshmen could take over the job of a starting 2 year QB. Unless Hansen is as good or better than Tebow (in his first year) or a really raw Pryor is right now--and if he is, they need to quickly get him some reps this year--then it's going to be hard to envision 2009 to be the dream year everyone here is expecting. 2008 is going to be a tough year schedule-wise and if we have to take a few losses to better prepare for 2009 I'll live with it. However, I'll be really upset if we aren't prepared for 2009.

I hate hearing how all of our backups have stronger reads and throws. If they did, I'd be pissed at Hawk for not starting them now. I'm not a big fan of this shotgun spread we are running right now, but times change. I'll learn to deal with it or it Hawk will be gone in 3 years (if he signs his extension) or Hawk will change the offense yet again.

People are always looking for the next <insert team's all-time QB> even though a QB that can manage the game well and is cool under pressure (think OU last year after we fell behind) is more than adequate for the college game. You do not need a top tier NFL prospect to have a really good college team. If Cody loses his position, that's great because that means we are solid at the QB position, but I won't lose any sleep over it if he doesn't.

the part about OU's offense that is so wicked is they have the people to go from a power I, to 2 te-2 wo-1 running back, to 5 wides, and almost any other formation without changing players. that is why they went to the hurry up because the defense cant rotate players on and off the field to match up against the type of offense OU is running....

oh btw.... Sam Bradford does have a rushing TD, got it against the huskies.. I think he has 5 yards on 3 carries this year now....:thumbsup:

Back