1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Air wave chatter (from the land of swirling winds)

Discussion in 'Colorado Basketball Message Board' started by BehindEnemyLines, Mar 8, 2011.

1. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

Afternoon sports radio was talking about whether or not the boomer's coach will be retained. Doug Gottlieb was the special guest, and when asked directly, indicated he hadn't heard anything either way. One announcer asked, if they were to fire the coach, who might be a possible replacement. The first name mentioned?

You guessed it - Tad Boyle.

One host blabbed about a more attractive school, better history, blah, blah. But to Gottlieb's credit, he shot that one down pretty quickly; said Boyle was from Colorado, and with the move to the Pac12, he didn't see him going anywhere.

The 2 hosts lamented the past two seasons under Capel. At one point, one of the hosts said that the boomers only had 2 good wins this season -- okie lite and Colorado. It's almost nice to be counted as another teams' "quality" win. (still shudda won that game, tho).

2. sparkybuffs

sparkybuffs New Member

Wouldn't be too worried. Don't think he'd leave, and don't think he's proven enough here to get a serious look from them. They really should fire Capel though. He consistently does the least with the most talent in the big 12.

3. RumblinBuff

RumblinBuff That one blogging guy Club Member

While I don't buy that this is Tad's "destination job" (If his alma mater KU were to ever back up a Brinks truck, he ain't sayin no), but he's not leaving CU for Oklahoma. Whether or not OU would even want him is an entirely different matter

4. Darian3Hagan

Darian3Hagan '89 Player of the Year Club Member

Ok given the hawk history at what point do we extend Boyle?

5. Idot Buff

Idot Buff Club Member Club Member

No time soon...unless we win the Big 12 tourney...

6. absinthe

absinthe Ambitious but rubbish. Club Member Junta Member

next season after Burks comes back and we win the Pac-12

7. Darian3Hagan

That works for me. Have we ever been conference champs in mens bb?

8. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I think we have a big 7 championship from around 1955.

To the point, Boyle ain't gonna go to OU. At least not now. I don't think any of us is under the illusion that Boyle will stay at CU forever, especially if KU calls, but OU sure as hell ain't on his radar.

9. DBT

DBT Club Member Club Member

I guess I'm the only sucker that takes Tad at his word that this is his dream job. Could that change? Sure. But I believe he'll be here a while.

10. btbuff

btbuff It's an inside joke Club Member

I agree. Dream job?? It is nice and all for us to hear, but if Kansas needed a coach I bet he would be willing to pack up. However, Oklahoma or some other program needing a coach--he could probably give a crap.

11. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

given your history of being suckered by CU head coaches.... ya, I'm gonna remain skeptical.

12. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

$1.5M > $590K:smile2:

Money talks.

13. NashBuff

NashBuff CSU Knob-Slobberer

We will have a new practice facility opening this August and it will make it more difficult for any coach to leave CU at this time. It's good to not have to worry about a coveted CU coach going somewhere like Neushiel did.

OU will be back in basketball...they are too good of a program to stay down for long.

14. MtnBuff

MtnBuff Not allowed in Barzil 2 Club Member

Would Tad leave? Certainly for a program like Kansas, North Carolina, etc. one of the established powers with huge resources and great tradition. The good news about this is that he isn't going to get one of those jobs unless he wins and wins big at CU. On the other hand I don't see him leaving for another non-power school, even one that pays more than CU and has had periods of success like an OU or a mid-level Big 10 team, etc.

15. BehindEnemyLines

Lotta folks down here think they will be back, but only when a new coach is brought in. Word is he's not that great at evaluating talent that fits his system, and that the character evaluations have been lacking. It wouldn't surprise me if Capel was axed at the end of this year.

BTW, I'm not worried about Boyle leaving any time soon. I think he'll be here a while.

16. GoBuffs!!

GoBuffs!! Active Member

I would completly agree, and I agree if Tad gets programs like KU and UNC coming after him, we should all be pretty happy, because he brought CU to the big table, something we havent done before.

Tad is also not going to go to some BS school like Wake Forest...

17. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

Here's how I'm reading the tea leaves here.

1 - I believe that CU is a dream job for Boyle and he'd be very happy coaching here for a long time
    2 - I also believe that new dreams arise and there will always be other opportunities that are interesting
    3 - As long as we support Boyle and his salary/fan support/etc. don't hit a ceiling that frustrates him, he'll only leave for an elite job
    4 - For the forseeable future, Boyle will be tied to Turgeon and will not get an elite job before Turgeon does
    5 - By the time Boyle is seen as the hot candidate for elite jobs, CU has the chance to have built it to the point he doesn't go (especially if he wants to raise his children in Colorado)

18. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

Ok, quick, Cu needs to make sure the wifey is happy here.

19. Mick Ronson

Mick Ronson Well-Known Member

turgeon is also very much ahead of boyle in the KU pecking order, for that same reason. turgeon has had enough success to satisfy the aggies (who had never had success before gillespie and turgeon managed to win enough to escape the gillespie=god, next guy=sucks logic). turgeon also made the sweet 16 at Wich State....which people in kansas aren't going to forget. tad had a nice year, but he wasn't really on memorable ku teams to be honest. late ted owens, early larry brown teams. turgeon was a bit iconic as a player....even though he was a bit of a tool.

i'm also not putting all my faith behind the "dream job" scenario.

20. BehindEnemyLines

Yeah, don't we have some spare unicorns laying around here, somewhere?????

21. Darian3Hagan

What does she look like? I may be available.