1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Akina Leaving UoA to go back to texas

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by buff4bcs1985, Feb 14, 2011.

1. buff4bcs1985

buff4bcs1985 Hail to the King

http://twitter.com/Greg_Byrne

wow

2. Duff Man

Duff Man Moderator Club Member Junta Member

Holy ****!

3. sweaty teets

sweaty teets Club Member Club Member

4. JRK1212

JRK1212 Troll

Haha I guess Texas will be the one "owning" polynesian recruting now. Right Mike Stoops?

5. Shldr2Shldr

Shldr2Shldr Club Member Club Member

Looks like the mildcats of AZ have a little rebuilding of their own to do... that coaching staff got picked apart.

6. Buffnik

Buffnik Real name isn't Nik Club Member Junta Member

:wow:

7. Darth Snow

Darth Snow Hawaiian Buffalo Club Member Junta Member

:wow: pretty cool.

8. BehindEnemyLines

BehindEnemyLines beware the habu Club Member

So, does stoooopsy make a run at Brown?

9. HotRack

HotRack Rez BubbleHead Club Member

Akina came back due to Jerry Gray leaving Texass after three weeks as DB/asst. head coach to take Titans' DC job (you probably already knew that)

Speculation around here is that Gray had a legitimate hope that even taking a job as a position coach might lead to him becoming HC after Mack someday. But after arriving became very clear to him that would not happen and also that he didn't like the idea of taking marching orders from a younger guy with not a lot of "skins" on the wall (Manny Diaz.) Of course, the sunshine pumpers down here believe that Manny Diaz is the better choice.

As for Akina - reports that he left because Stoopsy promised a "co-DC" role along with DB coach (like Brownie.) But, once Akina arrives, Stoops pulls that offer and he is just DB coach, being used to "own Polynesian recruiting" (OK, I added that, but connect the dots.) Plus, Duane has 5 kids in school in Austin who love it here, and he has been having trouble selling his house (who hasn't? I'm renting mine, BTW nice 4 bdrm, 2-1/2 bath in Cedar Park w/ a smoker in the back yard...)

So take all that FWIW, but looks to me like both were sold a bill of goods by UT and UA, but in the long run, 'Zona is much more in the hurt locker, Stoops looks more like an asshole, and we can take heart in that Greg Brown was thought more of than Duane Akina (co-DC) and did I mention - ARIZONA IS SCREWED? Oh yeah, and can't "own Polynesian recruiting?" Best for us in the long run.

10. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

I can't bring myself to hate UA as much as UT, but anytime something bad happens to a conference member, I guess that's good for CU.

11. ScottyBuff

ScottyBuff Well-Known Member

UA is a basketball school with a decent football program right now. There are only relevant to us right now because we are building our way back from the basement and need to step on some schools on the way.

UA and UCLA are just the first two programs we'll pass on the way back up.

Next up will be ASU and Utah.

12. ScottyBuff

ScottyBuff Well-Known Member

Read the entire drama unfolding here.

4 weeks ago:
    Today:

13. leftybuff

leftybuff Iconoclast Club Member

Wow, weird. Stoops lite must be a real prince to work for....

14. aik

aik Club Member Club Member

This is definitely looking good for our division. I'd argue ASU is already mired in mediocrity until Erickson decides to again find greener pastures to leave for, plus USC is on probation so while we may not beat them they're still down in the conference with no championship to play for. As long as the Buffs are starting something new, it's gonna help build our profile W-L wise if we can catch anyone who doesn't have huge upward momentum. And right now, I'd argue no one else in our division really does for 2011.

15. sackman

sackman Club Member Club Member

Utah would be my choice to play in the CCG, maybe win it all, depending on what happens at Stanford and Oregon with graduations, defections & coaching changes.