What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Al Golden makes a ton of sense

You sure about that?
Jim%20Tressel%20press%20conference_2.jpg

I think Dr. Drew is classy enough.

3 pages and not a single Al Golden - Golden Buffalo pun?

What the hell is wrong with you people? If this board is good for anything it is bad puns.

To put it in context (I just looked this up): according to rivals, Golden's 2011 transition class was ranked where Embree's first full class was ranked a year later. Golden's 2012 class was 9 overall, but large numbers. Very similar to UCLA's class last year. Golden's class this year is middle of the ACC, but it's a small class and he's got the highest average star rating of any ACC school. He's got BCS Coordinator experience, and a winning lifetime HC record at Temple and sanctions-laden Miami. Not too shabby. Bring in Golden as HC, Stitt as OC, and ??? as DC.

3 pages and not a single Al Golden - Golden Buffalo pun?

What the hell is wrong with you people? If this board is good for anything it is bad puns.

I actually thought this was an attempt at one:
Have read that he sees CU as a "gold mine"

There are places this could go, though, especially if Golden went to Golden to get his OC for the Golden Buffaloes.

To put it in context (I just looked this up): according to rivals, Golden's 2011 transition class was ranked where Embree's first full class was ranked a year later. Golden's 2012 class was 9 overall, but large numbers. Very similar to UCLA's class last year. Golden's class this year is middle of the ACC, but it's a small class and he's got the highest average star rating of any ACC school. He's got BCS Coordinator experience, and a winning lifetime HC record at Temple and sanctions-laden Miami. Not too shabby. Bring in Golden as HC, Stitt as OC, and ??? as DC.

Now I'm even more on board.

Good stuff, I much prefer Golden over Jones.

Al was instrumental in UVA bringing in the 5th ranked class in the nation in 2002. That's at UVA, folks.

Golden is number #1 choice, but I haven't heard any legitimate smoke that either party is interested

Wanted Golden instead of Embree; hoping against hope at the time, guessing he would have been State Penn's first choice to replace JoPa. He is a PSU alum and a former Pat!

It amuses me to end that you ****s think you know what your talking about when serious professionals with legions of staff with years in the industry can't get it right. But, whatevs... :tini:

It amuses me to end that you ****s think you know what your talking about when serious professionals with legions of staff with years in the industry can't get it right. But, whatevs... :tini:

Might as well shut down Allbuffs then. What the **** are you talking about?

I like Golden over Jones. He took Temple from winless to 9-4 and co-east champ in the Mac. ****ing Temple! Go get him!

Miami's in a much better recruiting area obviously, but that's also one reason to stay there - a coach wants to have kids that can execute his plan, right?

Might as well shut down Allbuffs then. What the **** are you talking about?

May as well shut down all public discussion of anything. We should also get rid of jury trials and elections while we're at it.

Talked with Al personally a couple times during his stint at UVA. Would be a dream hire and get us back to where we need to be. Great guy and would make a huge splash in Boulder. It's no secret he's not the happiest at Miami.

What else has he said about me behind my back?

Is this the guy who went to virginia and stunk up the place?
He was DC, not HC, at UVA, while he was there the Cavaliers were 30-20 & went to three bowl games - from wikipedia:

Named defensive coordinator by Virginia head coach Al Groh in 2001, Golden became the youngest defensive coordinator in Division I-A.[SUP][1] ... [/SUP]From 2001 to 2004, the Cavaliers' defense improved under his tutelage, ranking 108th in total defense in his first year to ranking 18th in total defense in 2004. In the same time period, Virginia's scoring defense went from 74th in the nation (27.6 ppg) to 17th (17.7 ppg) utilizing Golden's 3–4 defense.

Last edited:
There are places this could go, though, especially if Golden went to Golden to get his OC for the Golden Buffaloes.

This is true. Especially when you factor in that Colorado fans like to bomb opposing fans with a Golden Shower.

He might like the situation at CU:
1. Make same or better $
2. Get out of the hyper-competitive southeast
3. No-lose situation, nowhere to go but up
Not sure about #3. I think the CU job poses a huge career risk.

He was DC, not HC, at UVA, while he was there the Cavaliers were 30-20 & went to three bowl games - from wikipedia:

The first year, 2001, was a rebuilding campaign. After that, Virginia posted 9 (finishing alone in 2nd in the ACC in 2002 despite being picked next to last) , 8 (2003 would have been much greater had Matt Schaub not been injured and not playing for most of the season)and 8 wins in Golden's final 3 seasons as DC in Charlottesville, rising as high as #5 in the top 25 in October 2004. He was an excellent recruiter and even better with the x's and o's, IMO. And yes, UVA faces numerous obstacles in getting top athletes due to their academic standards. Being key in bringing in the #5 class in the nation speaks for itself. FWIW, after Golden left UVA for HC at Temple, UVA began a decline that ended with Groh's ouster in 2009. There's a direct correlation between Golden's time at UVA and their "peak" of the Groh era.

Last edited:
Back