1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Al Groh

Discussion in 'Colorado Football Message Board' started by canuck_buff, Nov 29, 2009.

1. canuck_buff

canuck_buff Active Member

Man he got fired and I always loved him as a coach. Sowish there was a way to rope him in to help the Buffs:thumbsup:

2. Sexton Hardcastle

Sexton Hardcastle Club Member Club Member

He can probably get himself another HC job, or another assistant gig in the NFL. I think coming to Boulder to be a assistant would be a step back for him.

3. CarolinaBuff

CarolinaBuff Weekend Poster Club Member

Not a big surprise in my mind, he had run his course at UVA and he only had 1 winning season in his last 4. Even one of the best academic public schools in the nation demands more than sub-mediocrity from its football team.

4. buffwings

buffwings Club Member Club Member

what about a lesser ranked academic public school? what do our Idot administration demand? At this rate CU will have to give up 2 or 3 more sports and drop out of Div 1A.

5. SINKRATZ

SINKRATZ Club Member Club Member

What was his record this year? 3-9, and he got fired....wow they're tough on head coaches at UVA.

6. CarolinaBuff

Yup. His last 4 years:
    5-7
    9-4
    5-7
    3-9

Overall 59-53 at UVA.

7. Buffalo Brad

Buffalo Brad Club Member Club Member

You can correct me on this but I am pretty sure UVA is not public from a state support perspective. Pretty sure they are 100% private. Could be wrong but I remember hearing that back in the day of a dominant bball team.

8. CarolinaBuff

UVA is a public university.

9. BuffaloChuck

BuffaloChuck Member

NO. PLEASE NO.

Al led the way so that Virginia lost to WILLIAM & MARY.

WILLIAM & MARY.

You think losing to a city college like TOLEDO is bad?!! THINK sub-Div-3 teams, think last-weekend-touch-football/this-weekend-beat-UVA.

That's WILLIAM AND MARY.

Do you know when the last time WILLIAM & MARY beat UVA? Thirty odd years before, when UVA routinely went 1-9 for seasons on end.

You want a coach that led a legitimate Div-1 team to lose to a barely-Div-II squad?!!

No. Please.

Here's a comment from UVA's newspaper article about that game:

"The best quarterback on the field, it seemed, was W&M's R.J. Archer. The redshirt senior...was a regular in the stands...threw for 184 yards..."

From the stands to Wm&Mary's fill-in QB, and he beats Al Groh's Div-1 Cavaliers. Think about that. This was the game that Al Groh used to train his squad for during off-season. And that's the kind of results he gets.