What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Alamo Bowl Travel, Accommodation, Ticket, Food etc. Thread

Most of the Mexican food on the Riverwalk is cooked with people from places like Ohio or Wisconsin in mind. Rosario's is a ways off the riverwalk and is pretty good. The 3 places he mentioned are off the riverwalk and are pretty good.
Rosarios is money. Definitely hit that up. Chris Madrid's for burgers.

Menger Hotel next to Alamo is cool. Been there since 1877.

Tamales in old town...well worth it.

San Antonio Museum of Art (SAMA) is in the old Pearl Brewery. They have a nice collection of Pre Columbian Art.

That sounds like a rubbing elbows pregame, not a get-drunk-n-have-fun pregame.
You would know better than I would about what atmosphere it will have in store. I would enjoy the location, if I were attending the game - about as close as you can get without setting up in the parking lot.

Capture.JPG

We are staying in the Menger Hotel - I've always wanted to stay there. Being from Texas, I have been to San Antonio many times - though I realize I haven't been there for a visit since 2004! Since my parents live in opposite directions from the city (Dad is in Katy; Mom is in San Angelo), we are using being in San Antonio to visit with both (not together, though, since Dad is still bitter about the divorce 20+ years on).

We are also signed up for the Buff Bash, along with my Dad and stepmom; if they don't want to go, we may have two tix to give away.

For those thinking about Mi Terra: a friend of mine said go to Pico de Gallo instead - it's the same family, kitsch and food with smaller crowds.

And another vote for heading to Fredericksburg (if you get the chance). It's really a charming (but seriously crowded!) place to visit. The Nimitz Museum of the Pacific War is fantastic - we spent hours there a couple of years ago.

Share your tips for San Antonio, how to get there here, what to do there, where to drink, eat, sleep etc. here

We can post any event Colorado fans would like to advertise on our mobile app for free so buff fans know whats going on in San Antonio! Message me for details.

Attachments

• YjvQ4a8JjIm0piEWb2S4JaHKeckqEGvtDw-Rgf9dYnKORxo3W3orerVf7yG55kUV4SA_h900-rw__418×718_.png
    YjvQ4a8JjIm0piEWb2S4JaHKeckqEGvtDw-Rgf9dYnKORxo3W3orerVf7yG55kUV4SA_h900-rw__418×718_.png
    664.5 KB · Views: 9
For the younger crowd looking to go out.... Pat Obrien's was the bar to go late night. It's also the bar that Trevone Boykin got arrested at
We added Pat O'Briens to our android app so you guys can easily find it in SA. Anything else? We have Pat Obrien's, Rosarios, and the Buff Bash so far. Would be happy to add anyone's tailgate if interested.

OK. Spoke with the ticket office. CU has sold out their allotment. They requested more, received a few more and those are sold out. They will be prioritizing seats this weekend and if you requested a "hard" ticket, they will be FedExed on Monday or Tuesday.

OK. Spoke with the ticket office. CU has sold out their allotment. They requested more, received a few more and those are sold out. They will be prioritizing seats this weekend and if you requested a "hard" ticket, they will be FedExed on Monday or Tuesday.
I didn't get an option. it was hard ticket or no ticket.

I didn't get an option. it was hard ticket or no ticket.
2nd this.

Thanks @DBT for checking on shipping timing - it was going to be a mess if they got to my house after we leave for Colorado for the holidays - but looks like we should be good.

We've added Luckenbach to the map on our app in case anyone wants to hangout with Willie, Waylon and the boys while in town (y)

Let us know if you would like us to add anything else to our map. Go Buffs!

Attachments

• roadwarriors_map.png
    roadwarriors_map.png
    793 KB · Views: 8
My father in law is 77. What are my best options to get him from the parking lot to the entrance with as little walking for him as possible? I'm hoping they have the bike peddlers as an option.

My father in law is 77. What are my best options to get him from the parking lot to the entrance with as little walking for him as possible? I'm hoping they have the bike peddlers as an option.

Maybe Uber or Lyft. There's no shame parking wherever and grabbing a ride share with your 77yo FIL to the stadium

So much for CU's reputation of not "traveling well" to bowl games. But this may just be to a decade of pent up demand.

Also of note, the Spurs have home games on the 28th and 30th as another option for entertainment before or after the bowl depending on your travel plans...

could always go tour the Lone Star beer brewery production plant if it still open. Went there back in the day. They have a hall (museum) of deformed and weird animals. When I was a kid, my dad worked directly across the street from it, loved that smell.

Last edited:
Rudys bbq is pretty good. It started in san antonio and now its a chain. Been to the ones in Spring TX and colo springs a few times and have always been pleased with the ribs.

so many other BBQ places in and around San Antonio though. Don't need to go to a chain that you could get in Co Springs.

Plus, Rudys in San Antonio is a long drive from the area around the Alamodome/Riverwalk.

Augie's Alamo City BBQ Steakhouse has some of the best reviews in town and its not too far from the riverwalk area. Just north of the downtown area there are also King's Hwy Brew & Q and The Granary 'Cue and Brew that I have heard very good things about.

When visiting new towns, I try to avoid chains if at all possible, so these BBQ places are definitely on my radar.

could always go tour the Lone Star beer brewery production plant if it still open. Went there back in the day. They have a hall (museum) of deformed and weird animals. When I was a kid, my dad worked directly across the street from it, loved that smell.
I plan on doing this tour as soon as I land. Thanks for the reminder!

I plan on doing this tour as soon as I land. Thanks for the reminder!
WOW - just looked it up on Google maps...Man be careful. Back when my dad worked across the street (late 60's early 70's) it was nice. Man things have sure changed... Looks pretty ratty now.

As I sit here in my just arrived 2016 South Champs hoodie (in air conditioning)...from lovely Cameron TX. 69 today @ 100% humidity at 7:00 this morning, I swatted 4 mosquitoes by 2:00 and it's a wonderful day.
For those of you with no small children on the journey to SA I would make this suggestion, time permitting, your ability to consume and your sense of humor. Start here Durty Nelly's Irish Pub on the River Walk. Around midnight proceed to Dick's Last Resort and try to close it down. The pub is great, Dick's is where you go @ 2 1/2 sheets to the wind you're semi tanked and it's a riot.

Back