What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

Alec Leaving?

From what he has said, at this point and time he appears to be a guarantee to leave. CU bought an additional year, I doubt we have much chance of another. At least we can enjoy the last few games.

I never read as much between the lines as some people do.

I hope he reads this paragraph:

The scouts also acknowledge Burks would become a much better player with another season being coached by Tad Boyle and his staff while playing in the Pac-12. NBA teams would prefer that prospects develop in college rather than on the end of a professional bench.
"I don't know too many players who haven't benefited from staying an extra year," a scout said.

There are a lot of factors. One is this is a fairly week draft class which could lead to Burks being higher this year than next.

the scout is right - vast majority of players (barring injuries) benefit from another year of college. However, that doesn't mean that their draft stock improves. The NBA draft is so dependent on potential that sometimes staying another year in school hurts - see Roby, Richard. To be fair though, Roby was borderline 1st round, so it could've been wiser to stay in school for him.

I like Burks, and I think another year would help him out. However, if I'm hearing for-sure lottery, I leave. The guaranteed money is too large, even if the league goes to a lock-out, he'll eventually get some nice money. The younger you are, the more promising you appear to the NBA (more time to develop like they optimistically think you will).

dyemeduke,

I think we're in complete agreement.

If I was advising Alec, I'd tell him that a lottery grade equals bye bye CU. But if he hears "late first to early 2nd", he should stay for his junior year.

Roby needed to get stronger to face double-teams. Burks is more of a guy who can get the basket off his own dribble. RR was better than most at getting to the rim, but he needed to work around the perimeter to find his spot. teams started pushing Rich around on the perimeter and keeping him out of position and out of the O flow....Burks is more of a straight to the lane kind of guy. problem is Roby never seemed to benefit from the weight room so it's debatable how much the extra time at CU helped him....and Patton's scrapping of the Frink O RR's JR year after Frink was let go midseason in the Year of the Nine Seniors didn't help.

i thought it was interesting in Bz Year 1 that we beat Baylor in a game where Jeff seemed to let Marcus Hall and RR dictate the O by attacking the lane from the guard position. and play OU pretty tight the next game. of course, those were the last two games of the year.

love to see AB come back but it's not the worst thing in the world (per recruiting) to get him in "the League" ASAP.

One really good reason to come back is the stats Alec can put up with Damiene Cain and Shane Harris-Tunks setting screens for him next year:

5f5a125cb5573331eb434228238900ed
20101025__26dcsmbu_500.jpg

:nod: Next year it wouldn't matter if we're in the Big 12 or PAC 12, if Alec stays this has the potential to be a pretty damn good team.

If he can go high, it wouldnt be a real smart move not to go money wise. However, he isnt ready. He needs more weight and some more strength. His shooting needs work too. Always the injury factor as well so that has to be taken into account. Lately, it looks like he has hit a wall to me. He looks tired in other words.

The "tired" thing dovetails with a point I was going to make.

The NBA, with its 82 game schedule, jacked players and travel rigors, is going to be a difficult adjustment for Alec without that extra year to physically mature and train.

But as I've said, lottery pick and he needs to take that opportunity.

The "tired" thing dovetails with a point I was going to make.

The NBA, with its 82 game schedule, jacked players and travel rigors, is going to be a difficult adjustment for Alec without that extra year to physically mature and train.

But as I've said, lottery pick and he needs to take that opportunity.

I agree. He isnt ready but has to go if he's a lottery pick. I only said tired because he doesnt seem to have the same bounce at the moment. I know what you are saying and you are right.

we gotta get the "one more year" chant going the next two home games.
was about to say the same thing. Any one sitting behind the bench needs to have a sign. Anybody in the student section needs to make a few and pass em around.

There isn't going to be an NBA season next year. The owners are serious and intend to knock salaries down by 30-40% and have a hard cap. It'll take awhile for the players to swallow that whole, but in the end they will have to.

There isn't going to be an NBA season next year. The owners are serious and intend to knock salaries down by 30-40% and have a hard cap. It'll take awhile for the players to swallow that whole, but in the end they will have to.

so how are these other teams going to handle that. What if their salary is too high already? cut players and get under the cap. Miami better hope they win it all this year.

Back