What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

All-Colorado Team Announced

I'm very excited about both Henington and Norgard. Henington looks mean and I know Norgard is ready to tear things up. In terms of players we didn't get (unless things change between now and signing day), I agree that it's too bad we couldn't land any of the O-linemen. I also have a feeling Kevin Davis will be a good LB in college. Not sure what his stats were like this year, but I liked his highlights. Could take him a year or two, but I wouldn't be surprised if he ended up being a great pick up for CSU. As for the future, let's get Fox, Parsons and B McDondle!

Davis may tear it up at CSU, partly because CSU plays at a better level for him. He is a good football player, trouble is that he is a LB, not fast enough to play safety. At LB he is going to be a smaller LB. Even with the weight room and natural maturing I don't think he ever stays solid at much over 220lbs. In the MWC the backs are either a little smaller or a little slower, same with the TEs. He will be able to hold up better against that level of competiton. In the PAC the athletes on average are bigger and faster and on a week in and week out basis he would get taken advantage of. For a comparison look at the problems Manke had, good hard working kid but just not enough athlete to hold up every week.

Davis may tear it up at CSU, partly because CSU plays at a better level for him. He is a good football player, trouble is that he is a LB, not fast enough to play safety. At LB he is going to be a smaller LB. Even with the weight room and natural maturing I don't think he ever stays solid at much over 220lbs. In the MWC the backs are either a little smaller or a little slower, same with the TEs. He will be able to hold up better against that level of competiton. In the PAC the athletes on average are bigger and faster and on a week in and week out basis he would get taken advantage of. For a comparison look at the problems Manke had, good hard working kid but just not enough athlete to hold up every week.

Will be interesting to see how it plays out. I just hope he doesn't tear it up against CU, otherwise I wish him the best.

Love Henington. Love Norgard. Love the in-state kids who have chosen to take on the task to bringing CU back towards our standards. We got the best two kids in state in regards to talent, work ethic, heart. They are the whole package. Looking forward to seeing this two represent the black & gold.

They are the best [FONT=&quot]players in the state because they are committed to CU? Thanks for the great analysis.[/FONT]

We got the best two kids in state in regards to talent, work ethic, heart.

They are the best [FONT=&amp]players in the state because they are committed to CU? Thanks for the great analysis.[/FONT]

I bolded for emphasis and clarity. If you disagree, feel free to tell us why some other guy brings it all together better than these two who are the best in the state at their respective positions, have pride in their home state, and have accepted the challenge of bringing Colorado football back to prominence. Alternatively, you could go sit bare-assed on a cactus.

Oh, sorry, the argument is that they are the best two people in the state because they committed to CU. That is much more reasonable; thanks for the clarification.

Oh, sorry, the argument is that they are the best two people in the state because they committed to CU. That is much more reasonable; thanks for the clarification.

Well who do you consider the best two in state players and where are they committed?

-- I'm a [strike] mother****ing [/strike] internet Angel --

jebus h christ, are you trying to be an asshole, or does it just come naturally? there are a finite number of kids in colorado being recruited to D-1 college football programs. Highlander opines that he thinks we got the best because of talent (1st team all-state), heart (having pride in their home state) and work ethic (taking the challenge to make the Buffs better). And you come along with your snarky asshole posts.

what a dick.

jebus h christ, are you trying to be an asshole, or does it just come naturally? there are a finite number of kids in colorado being recruited to D-1 college football programs. Highlander opines that he thinks we got the best because of talent (1st team all-state), heart (having pride in their home state) and work ethic (taking the challenge to make the Buffs better). And you come along with your snarky asshole posts.

what a dick.
MattSlapped!

CU doesn't have commits from any of the most highly-regarded players in the state, i.e., the 4 OL, Evan Baylis, and Cyler Miles, and yet there are posts in this thread suggesting that we are somehow cleaning up on the in-state recruiting front. What is the value of such an assertion? What does it add to the discussion here? It isn't even remotely objective. The remarks about "pride", "work ethic", and "heart" are 100% speculation and nothing else, unless you know the recruits in question personally, which I doubt.

The coaches have failed with respect to in-state recruiting this year. There is no objective argument to the contrary.

The coaches have failed with respect to in-state recruiting this year.
Sure, if your ONLY criteria is signing x of the Top 10 rated players in the state.

However, no one will truly know how successful this class is, or how good the guys we missed on will be, for a number of years. If CU improves and starts winning with the players that Embree signs, then I don't give a flying Wallenda what state they are from. All I want is for CU to be competitive again on a regular basis. And, there are all kinds of reasons - which have been discussed ad nauseum in other threads - on why a Colorado high school player might choose not to play for CU. Arbitrarily assigning fault to CU coaches for every "top" player who goes somewhere else is fantasy on your part. I'm really trying to understand your logic that CU is somehow required to sign a majority of the talent from Colorado, or we have "failed". It is really more of a provincial public relations game to me. I was born and raised in Colorado, went to and graduated from CU, and, as a native Coloradan, would love to see CU sign top Colorado HS players. However, the simple fact is that not signing enough in-state players to please you does not have any logical bearing on how good of a recruiting class we have. I would venture to say that many of the middle-of-the rankings 3* players from Texas are every bit as good as most of the standout 4* players from Colorado - for the simple fact that the Texas players play against a much higher level of competition than the Colorado players do. Sign kids that are good players, have the right attitude, have the talents that the team requires, and help us win games - regardless of what state they are from - and we'll all be in a better mood in years to come.

Last edited:
CU doesn't have commits from any of the most highly-regarded players in the state, i.e., the 4 OL, Evan Baylis, and Cyler Miles,
you conveniently stopped your list at the top 6 (according to the rivals ranking). Norgard is #7 and Henington is #9. Henington is also the DP defensive player of the year, so I'd suggest that CU got 2 of the 10 most highly regarded players in the state. Then again, I am a Buff fan and tend to see these things in a favorable light.

and yet there are posts in this thread suggesting that we are somehow cleaning up on the in-state recruiting front.
Then you should respond to those posts. Highlander's post didn't suggest any thing remotely suggesting CU cleaned up in state.

What is the value of such an assertion? What does it add to the discussion here?
Value? give me a ****ing break. I see you've been a member of Allbuffs for 3 years, you know how this place works. This is a fan site where fans express opinions on issues related to CU sports and other random topics. That's what we do and it doesn't have to have "value". On the other hand, you came across a post that did not meet your needs, so you felt you would "add to the discussion" with this valuable gem: "They are the best [FONT=&amp]players in the state because they are committed to CU? Thanks for the great analysis." Good work there. [/FONT]

It isn't even remotely objective. The remarks about "pride", "work ethic", and "heart" are 100% speculation and nothing else, unless you know the recruits in question personally, which I doubt.
Are you Mr. Spock? Highlander's post doesn't have to be objective; it was a post inspired by pride and excitement. I'd also suggest that every ranking is subjective - whether its Rivals, the Denver Post, or a fan on a message board who observes certain actions and makes a subjective conclusion that he shares with like-minded fans. If you only criteria for "valuable posts" is objectivity, I'd suggest you'll have a better chance finding that somewhere other than Allbuffs.

The coaches have failed with respect to in-state recruiting this year. There is no objective argument to the contrary.
No one was trying to argue the contrary.

CU doesn't have commits from any of the most highly-regarded players in the state, i.e., the 4 OL, Evan Baylis, and Cyler Miles, and yet there are posts in this thread suggesting that we are somehow cleaning up on the in-state recruiting front. What is the value of such an assertion? What does it add to the discussion here? It isn't even remotely objective. The remarks about "pride", "work ethic", and "heart" are 100% speculation and nothing else, unless you know the recruits in question personally, which I doubt.

I like both of our TE commits better than Baylis. And I would hope that I have some credibility here considering that I was the guy who was pushing Baylis before any of the services had him rated. I saw him as an athletic, developmental 3* type who would need to learn to play TE. That hasn't changed. The services have him over-rated based on potential. He's not in the same class at McNamara, Kourtzidis or Cope-Fitzpatrick.

Cyler Miles is a guy I loved as a WR or ATH, not so much as a QB. I'm much happier with Dillon.

On the OL, I'm very high on Thurston and Callahan. Kozan and O'Connor are nice prospects at guard, but I'm very surprised that they are 4* rated. Hard to argue with their offer lists, so maybe I'm the one who is crazy. But I'll take a guy like Kough who made 1st Team Offense for the all Inland Empire team this year even though he's a 2*.

Beyond that, I'm extremely happy with Norgard and Henington. Among DTs in the west, there's a top 3 group of McCarthy, ****tu and Solis. After that, Henington's right near the top of the 2nd group. Norgard is considered one of the top 5 fullbacks in the nation by Rivals. That's a position of major need and we got one of the best.

Bottom line is that there were 8 guys from in-state that I would have taken as scholarship players this year. 4 (5 if Miles was willing to be a WR) of those 8 were guys who I was extremely high on and we got 2 of those. The other 4 (or 3) are disappointing to miss on, but if they'd been guys we had been recruiting from a different state I wouldn't have paid it much mind that they were focused elsewhere. In fact, Zech Green and Trace Gray are as interesting to me as those guys when we're looking at the in-state talent.

Cyler had about 14 passing TD and about 5-7 rushing TD, going up against the best competition in the state. No wonder HS sports in Colorado suck. Why don't they just rank the players for his division, it is highly unfair to compare a 3A QB numbers to a 5A QA stats.

They did. He was listed as an athlete there, too. Sean Rubalcaba from Grand Junction (also an ATH on the all-Colorado team) was the class 5A all-state QB....

Believe it or not, there is life beyond Mullen.

They did. He was listed as an athlete there, too. Sean Rubalcaba from Grand Junction (also an ATH on the all-Colorado team) was the class 5A all-state QB....

Believe it or not, there is life beyond Mullen.

Well yeah... but what is Rubalcaba's star rating?

:lol:

Is Rubalcaba gonna end up in Laramie or elsewhere?

Yes. :smile2:

Haven't heard anything lately. I've probably heard him mention UNC more than anyplace, but I would think that Wyo might be pretty appealing, other than the fact that they have a freshman QB he would have to sit behind for a while.

Back