What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

All in One DirecTV Hates Pac-12 Network Thread (Was Larry Scott Thread)

Lol Gotta wonder where this battle will end. Can't say that DirectTV has much of an argument.

Directv shamelessly blame shifts right back....

[tweet]360909459582746625[/tweet]

My DirecTV bill doesn't scream affordable. Their competitive advantage has always been their channel/sports lineup for the most part. Like SuperD said above, their responses on this are such bs. If Dish can make a deal, Directv's excuses don't really carry much weight.

My DirecTV bill doesn't scream affordable. Their competitive advantage has always been their channel/sports lineup for the most part. Like SuperD said above, their responses on this are such bs. If Dish can make a deal, Directv's excuses don't really carry much weight.

Exactly.

I think DTV's entire business model in the US is tied to its exclusive arrangement with the NFL for the Sunday Ticket package. They leverage that for everything when trying to get or keep subscribers. If the NFL finds that it can make more money by selling that on a non-exclusive basis, DTV is completely screwed.

What is the channel lineup like for AT&T Uverse? Is it similar to Dtv or many different channels on both sides?

I haven't had DTV in about a decade. When I did, I got all the regional sports networks so that was nice. I don't seem to be getting that with ATT, but I see them in the channel guide so I guess they would be available. It's a pretty damn good cable system, as it goes.

Well I've got about every channel Dtv has, I probably don't watch half of them. AT&T is my cell provider, I'd think if I went that route for tv, I could make it all one bill?

Well I've got about every channel Dtv has, I probably don't watch half of them. AT&T is my cell provider, I'd think if I went that route for tv, I could make it all one bill?

My wife just said that you can get it all on a single bill.

I have been with DirecTV for 10+ years, but I am giving them thirty day notice. I can only travel to so many BUFF games. In Houston, I can't even watch the Rockets or Astros (probably a good thing) on DirecTV. I hate to do it, but it's either Dish or Comcast.

I'm not switching from DTV because I'm not willing to give up Sunday Ticket. Sure I might miss 3 or 4 CU games but I'm willing to deal with that given the state of our program combined with the fact that I can likely find those games online either live or on a delayed basis.

The small number of subscribers who are willing to leave DTV because of no P12 Network is not nearly enough to sway DTV to bend. Scott needs to step up here if he really wants to make this conference a national conference as he claims.

Re: Larry Scott: No DirecTV for Pac12Network this year

So you expect Scott to give DTV a better deal than everyone else? And you will be missing more games than that + basketball.
Personally would rather go to a bar and catch a few charger games vs. missing the P12 net.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

The small number of subscribers who are willing to leave DTV because of no P12 Network is not nearly enough to sway DTV to bend. Scott needs to step up here if he really wants to make this conference a national conference as he claims.

That's the issue, we need to make it a large number of subscribers. I agree with SD, Scott and the Pac 12 can't cut a cheap deal with Directv just to get the distribution, it would send a really bad message to their original carriers. Directv's a big deal, but they're not that big. I could very easily switch to DISH right now and not notice the difference in service, AND I'd get the Pac 12 network.

The PAC can't cave on this. They are offering the same deal to everybody. If DTV wants to carry it, they get the same deal as everybody else.

I have told the story before, I spoke with a muckity muck at DTV. They do not care. They do not want to increase their market share in the US, so they are never going to pick up P12 unless it is practically given to them. Bang a drum, call and cancel, threaten their pets, it isn't going to change. If you are waiting for DTV to buckle it, they won't. If you want P12 you'll have to switch.

Huh. Makes you wonder why they spend millions and millions of dollars advertising their product in the U.S. The rest of your story is believable, this part is not.

My wife just said that you can get it all on a single bill.

Unless they work for a telco most people have no idea how ungodly complicated unified billing was to get done. Most of the landline companies spent the better part of a decade and 8 to 9 figure amounts of money so you can have that bill. Most of the billing systems at the time were 30 years old too, and they'd often have completely different systems doing the same thing in different regions.

Last edited:
Larry Scott: No DirecTV for Pac12Network this year

I have been with DirecTV for 10+ years, but I am giving them thirty day notice. I can only travel to so many BUFF games. In Houston, I can't even watch the Rockets or Astros (probably a good thing) on DirecTV. I hate to do it, but it's either Dish or Comcast.

If you want the P12N in Houston, your only option is Dish (unless uverse is offered in your area of H-town as it sounds like a deal with them is imminent). Comcast ha chosen not to carry it despite the fact that they carry it in many other markets outside the P12 footprint.

That's the issue, we need to make it a large number of subscribers. I agree with SD, Scott and the Pac 12 can't cut a cheap deal with Directv just to get the distribution, it would send a really bad message to their original carriers. Directv's a big deal, but they're not that big. I could very easily switch to DISH right now and not notice the difference in service, AND I'd get the Pac 12 network.

Why not? DTV has 50% more subscribers than Comcast who is the 2nd-largest of the satellite/cable providers. They should give the biggest fish the best deals.

So you expect Scott to give DTV a better deal than everyone else? And you will be missing more games than that + basketball.
Personally would rather go to a bar and catch a few charger games vs. missing the P12 net.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using Tapatalk 2

Well sure, but you'd be missing Chargers games. Carolina would be missing a good team.... :smile2:

What I expect is for Directv to reach a market price deal to provide content that their subscribers want (and a significant number of them do). I'm paying them a price that I don't particularly consider "affordable" for a lineup littered with ****ing shopping networks and cooking channels. I can watch about 10 different channels of the Big 10 Network, which I doubt is giving them that content for free. But they decide to draw the line in the sand with the Pac-12 Network? **** that.

But, frankly, right now I would rather watch the NFL than watch a bunch of conference games in a conference where I know CU doesn't have a prayer of competing. And by hoops season, I'm too busy to catch every game anyway. So I'll stay with DTV, but they are doing one hell of a job making sure that I take my couple hundred dollars a month and run to find another provider the second that they aren't holding Sunday Ticket hostage anymore...

Why not? DTV has 50% more subscribers than Comcast who is the 2nd-largest of the satellite/cable providers. They should give the biggest fish the best deals.

That makes sense to me, but the current carriers wouldn't appreciate that line of thinking, and they'd let the Pac 12 know about it when their contracts come up again. As much as I want the P12 Network on my Directv asap, the best long-term strategy for the Pac 12 is to try and sweat Directv out, and hope their customers force them to cave--hence Larry's comments.

Just made the switch to Dish. Guy is coming out Monday morning. DD has had this Directv account for over 15 years.

If anyone needs a referral and $50 off, let me know. :smile:

$220 to buy out my Directv contract. That's a lot of beer.

Just made the switch to Dish. Guy is coming out Monday morning. DD has had this Directv account for over 15 years.

If anyone needs a referral and $50 off, let me know. :smile:

I was going to PM you if you hadn't switched yet and ask you to list me as your referring customer. I could use the $$.

By the way I've been very happy with Dish for a long time.

I was going to PM you if you hadn't switched yet and ask you to list me as your referring customer. I could use the $$.

By the way I've been very happy with Dish for a long time.

I was going to ask if anyone wanted to give us their customer number for a referral. We ended up using DD's dad since he let us use his password for basketball season.

It will be an adjustment, but neither of us are willing to go through another football season not being able to watch our games. DD was back and forth with the NFL thing, but decided Husky football and basketball are more important than Seahawks.

Just for kicks, I want to write a letter to the NFL and let them know that they lost an NFL ticket customer due to Directv's refusal to carry the Pac 12 network. I doubt it will do anything, but it may make me feel better. I really hope the NFL decides to open up the ticket when the contract is up for renewal.

I was going to ask if anyone wanted to give us their customer number for a referral. We ended up using DD's dad since he let us use his password for basketball season.

It will be an adjustment, but neither of us are willing to go through another football season not being able to watch our games. DD was back and forth with the NFL thing, but decided Husky football and basketball are more important than Seahawks.

Just for kicks, I want to write a letter to the NFL and let them know that they lost an NFL ticket customer due to Directv's refusal to carry the Pac 12 network. I doubt it will do anything, but it may make me feel better. I really hope the NFL decides to open up the ticket when the contract is up for renewal.

I think you are going to be able to see a lot of seahawks games this year anyways. After last year they established themselves as at least a contender. They should get a lot of national games this year.

I think you are going to be able to see a lot of seahawks games this year anyways. After last year they established themselves as at least a contender. They should get a lot of national games this year.

Agreed. We don't live in the middle of nowhere either so he can always go to a bar.

Directv shamelessly blame shifts right back....

[tweet]360909459582746625[/tweet]
[tweet]360911800113434625[/tweet]

The reason this is bull**** is because they don't have that model themselves. If cable or satellite let me customize a package, only paying for the channels I really wanted, I'd get back in the game. It's all overpriced as is. Until then, I'm happy with streaming channels or the local pub. There's no reason I shouldn't be able to buy any service I wanted and change it up all the time.

Back