What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

All in One DirecTV Hates Pac-12 Network Thread (Was Larry Scott Thread)

And u put your Herbie Hancock on a contract too, wtf Orr?

Well, it turns out they don't provide service unless you, you know, sign the contract. This all went down last June, so nobody was carrying the Pac 12 just yet and I needed internet service, which seemed a likely time to also get cable.

So, you guys and the PAC are missing the bigger picture here. How does the kid in Denver get to watch the Buffs? His parents don't make enough money to buy whatever cable package and they can't even afford parking, much less a real ticket to a game. How do we get that kid to be a fan of the Buffs? He is never going to be able to watch any CU games.

Guess what, that kid may grow up to be the next Einstein or Barry Sanders and because he was never able to see anything from CU and become a fan of his local school, he will go to CSU or whatever other school is commonly on TV in the area.

I blame the PAC and CU for this. Their first priority should have been making sure everyone in the region around the school is able to see all these games. Instead they got blindsided by $$$. The foundation of all these teams are the every day local fans. Without them, none of them grow into alumni and big time donors.

Guess what, that kid may grow up to be the next Einstein or Barry Sanders and because he was never able to see anything from CU and become a fan of his local school, he will go to CSU or whatever other school is commonly on TV in the area.

lol. I'm sure the next Einstein will base his choice of university on TV exposure.

So, you guys and the PAC are missing the bigger picture here. How does the kid in Denver get to watch the Buffs? His parents don't make enough money to buy whatever cable package and they can't even afford parking, much less a real ticket to a game. How do we get that kid to be a fan of the Buffs? He is never going to be able to watch any CU games.

I blame the PAC and CU for this. Their first priority should have been making sure everyone in the region around the school is able to see all these games. Instead they got blindsided by $$$. The foundation of all these teams are the every day local fans. Without them, none of them grow into alumni and big time donors.

I understand what you are saying, but you are never going to be able to reach 100% of your potential audience. You have to remember that Fox and ESPN have a decent amount of games available, but our problem is that our football team is so bad, they don't want to broadcast them. I think we need to improve the product and give people a reason to actually watch the team. If you are a kid and a huge CU fan, do you really want to turn on the tv to see Fresno State thump us or Oregon scoring TD's every four minutes? As an adult and huge CU fan, I couldn't sit through the entire games, I can't imagine what a child is going to do.

I understand what you are saying, but you are never going to be able to reach 100% of your potential audience. You have to remember that Fox and ESPN have a decent amount of games available, but our problem is that our football team is so bad, they don't want to broadcast them. I think we need to improve the product and give people a reason to actually watch the team. If you are a kid and a huge CU fan, do you really want to turn on the tv to see Fresno State thump us or Oregon scoring TD's every four minutes? As an adult and huge CU fan, I couldn't sit through the entire games, I can't imagine what a child is going to do.

I watched maybe 6 halfs of football last year and I have seats in 118, cost doesnt matter nearly as much as the product on the field.

Random thoughts...

I've got to say I'm impressed with DISH so far. I'm almost wondering what took so long for us to make the switch.

They were a little delayed with our scheduled appointment yesterday, but once there it went well. They arrived less than 48 hours after making the initial switch this past Saturday afternoon. So long DirecTV, it's been fun but time to move on now.

It is definitely going to take getting used to, with somewhat different functions on the remote and different channels. But overall this Sling Hopper is much more powerful than then DirecTV receiver. I love streaming live or recorded TV directly to my phone. The graphics on the phone are great with no delay of images (at least on Wi-Fi). I may need to look into getting an iPad this feature is so cool. The only downside so far (minor point but stilll...) is that I need to use a second remote to switch the HDMI input settings on the TV when switching to PS3 for gaming or streaming. Oh well, I can live with that.

I had a nice conversation with the DirecTV representative when closing the account yesterday. The lady I was speaking with was hysterical. She seemed mortified we switched to Dish but I told her as a rabid sports fan I needed the Pac Network. I let them know I wouldn't reconsider DirecTV until they get the Pac. At the end she read back to me what is going into the comments section of why we left. I'm happy about that. It actually was a better conversation than I was expecting, and didn't feel hassled at all. That is, until the required reading to me of their current negotiations with the Pac Network and why DirecTV doesn't have them.

I'm not sure if they do this with everyone, but they were barking up the wrong tree with me. They said that while there are a small number of loyal subscribers that will miss occasional games, they just cannot afford what the Pac wants to show the network. She went on to say that the vast majority of games can still be seen on ESPN and Fox and that they will not charge their existing customers any more money just to carry the Pac. (When I asked about carrying the Big Ten Network which means nothing to me and SEC football which means nothing to me there was only silence). Back on script, it was reiterated that they have been trying to get the Pac but feel that the Pac is very unreasonable (despite other carriers taking their deal). She went on to say they will carry the Pac once the Pac compromises their position and not before. They will not accept the current deal. It seemed she read the same script over and over and over.

Bottom line, I got the impression that DirecTV is not going to be carrying the Pac. Not in the near future at any rate. The Pac is viewed as an inferior network and DirecTV has their big fish with the SEC and Big Ten Network already. I felt very relieved after the call that the right decision was made to switch. I can go to any bar and watch NFL, but it's more difficult with college football. I'm happy to say we won't be missing the games this year! And if I'm at a bar, I can stream live games to my phone via the Dish feed if I'm so inclined. Heck, we can be on the road and I won't miss any game time because I can stream live feeds to my phone. I would be very surprised if the Pac ends up on Dish in the next year (or two). And I am happy to be one of the long-time (ex) DirecTV customers who is leaving if that will help them change their mind. Certainly the Pac needs better exposure and DirecTV is a great way to do it. When reviewing the messages on this thread even it is easy to see that DirecTV has the upper hand. Do we want to settle for less money to our schools while watching other conferences surpass us in funding or do we simply switch to non-DirecTV providers? I personally hope August brings a lot of customers dropping DirecTV in favor of providers that carry the Pac Network. It's the only thing that will cause DirecTV to carry the Pac, and frankly I don't see it happening soon.

A few months ago I was upset with the Pac for not making it happen with DirecTV. Now I wonder if holding out is the best thing for conference finances. I see DirecTV losing a lot of customers if they don't re-up with Sunday Ticket next year. I'm done with DirecTV at this point. They caused me to miss games last year. If I stayed I'd miss games this year. I think Dish has better technology at this point and they're cheaper. I just wish they weren't the #1 worst company to work for in America right now. So far I'm happy about the switch overall.

I have a vision. Rick George courts DirectTV and convinces them to sponsor the team and rename the stadium, "DirectTV Field @ Folsom." They immediately apologize to viewers in the PAC 12 region and bring on the PAC12 network, and provides free satellite for the entire city of boulder. Facility renovations put CU set a new standard in college athletics and we go on to win championship \enddreamsequence

Larry Scott: No DirecTV for Pac12Network this year

I have a vision. Rick George courts DirectTV and convinces them to sponsor the team and rename the stadium, "DirectTV Field @ Folsom." They immediately apologize to viewers in the PAC 12 region and bring on the PAC12 network, and provides free satellite for the entire city of boulder. Facility renovations put CU set a new standard in college athletics and we go on to win championship \enddreamsequence

If DirecTV isn't careful, George just might sign such a deal with Dish. Then it won't matter if DirecTV wants to make a deal or not. The PAC will go exclusively with Dish. DirecTV is playing a game if chicken, here. There is pretty much no way this can turn out well for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

If DirecTV isn't careful, George just might sign such a deal with Dish. Then it won't matter if DirecTV wants to make a deal or not. The PAC will go exclusively with Dish. DirecTV is playing a game if chicken, here. There is pretty much no way this can turn out well for them.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk 2

Actually with Dish being one of the bigger hometown companies pursuing them for a naming rights deal doesn't sound like a bad idea, though I doubt Charlie Ergin would spend the money, and they do have a rep for being a horrible place to work for. Supposedly there have been merger talks again, but I don't know why the Feds would approve it this time around since I think they've already gone down that path once and it was a no go.

You can't be serious?

In Denver, and all 'in market' areas, P12 Network is on the SAME tier as ESPN, ESPN2, F/X, ROOT-RM (ie CSU), Fox Sports 1, etc etc.

If someone's parents can't afford that tier they are just not getting ANY CFB these days except on Fox or ABC. Last I checked, MWC has no games on broadcast, P12 does.

DTV v pac 12 is about money sure.... but really no one should be choosing DTV over Dish if they are broke, because it does cost more across the board.

When the Buffs aren't stepping on their own dicks on the field and I'm missing interesting matchups where we actually have a shot at winning I might care about the network.

Last month I put our DTV service on hold to try out using Roku and Apple TV. Not going back to DTV. I'll find a way to watch games and save $100 a month at the same time. I'll tell them it's because they don't carry the PAC 12 network.

Last month I put our DTV service on hold to try out using Roku and Apple TV. Not going back to DTV. I'll find a way to watch games and save $100 a month at the same time. I'll tell them it's because they don't carry the PAC 12 network.
Curious how this works. I've considered doing the same thing.

Re: Larry Scott: No DirecTV for Pac12Network this year

Curious how this works. I've considered doing the same thing.

Not great. at one point I had netflix , hulu plus, antenna, easy news, laptop streaming to the tv, and a few private torrent accounts. I spent half my time downloading and organizing on top of paying $30 a month. I will gladly pay $100 a month to be lazy.

Nice. I just picked up a Roku the other day, and I am trying to get my wife to go with the DTV on hold plan.
I already have netflix streaming, amazon prime and hulu plus, so I am pretty set. I'll use an antenna until Aereo launches later, then maybe I'll get that as an easier solution for local content (and a DVR).

So far I am a big fan. (now if only the wife would live without HBO...)

TV sucks right now. I was on hold with DTV the other day, and the hold ads were telling me that I could watch Honey Boo-boo, Duck Dynasty and Pawn Stars from my iPad if I wanted. **** you, if that is the **** that you are advertising, you have a real issue.

Nice. I just picked up a Roku the other day, and I am trying to get my wife to go with the DTV on hold plan.
I already have netflix streaming, amazon prime and hulu plus, so I am pretty set. I'll use an antenna until Aereo launches later, then maybe I'll get that as an easier solution for local content (and a DVR).

So far I am a big fan. (now if only the wife would live without HBO...)

TV sucks right now. I was on hold with DTV the other day, and the hold ads were telling me that I could watch Honey Boo-boo, Duck Dynasty and Pawn Stars from my iPad if I wanted. **** you, if that is the **** that you are advertising, you have a real issue.
Do any of your friends have HBO? A six pack gets you that HBOtogo login and you are set...

Just talked to comcast. Very helpful guy but he said as of this time, they have no plans to add P12N to the Houston lineup. He advised me to call back when I'm ready to switch to Dish and see if things have changed. Told him I'd call back in about a month.

My most recent, strongly worded email:

Thank you for acknowledging my request to waive mycancellation fee. It's refreshing to geta human response, rather than an impersonal message generated by a computer.

However, I'd argue the remainder of your response ismisaligned with my unique circumstance.

The simple fact remains that I would have never chosenDirect TV, if your sales rep had not told me that you would be picking up thePac 12 Network.

I don't think his assertion was the product of a"say anything" culture in the sales department--I think he genuinelybelieved that Direct TV would carry the channel. However, Direct TV does not feature the Pac12 Network, and the same reason I selected your company is the same reason I'mleaving. The Pac 12 network. Well, that and a broken promise.

I'm well aware of my contractual obligation here, thoughthank you for pointing it out. Myargument is hardly a legal one, but rather an argument based on doing the rightthing.

Also tangential to my argument is the recurring attemptsof your phone representatives to paint the Pac 12 Network as the "bad guys". I don't care who's at fault in thenegotiation. Larry Scott could be theDevil himself; other providers have taken his deal and Direct TV has not. I just want to watch the Pac 12Network...this isn't about blame.

And while I appreciate your efforts to keep my bill low,I find that argument runs somewhat hollow. For instance, I will gladly give you a list of 100 channels I don'twatch, or care to watch that you insist I buy as part of a package. If you give me an ala carte package, thatwill go a long way to keeping my bill low, I think. And if given the option, that package wouldonly consist of one channel. The Pac 12Network, of course.

Please elevate my request to the appropriate level togain traction. Thanks in advance foryour assistance.

Best Regards,

I do smile when Directv tells its customers that it is the fault of the Pac 12 in order to attempt to keep us as a subscriber. I don't really care who is at fault. My choices are to (1) find a new alma mater or (2) drop Directv and switch to a company that offers the Pac 12 network. Since number one isn't actually a choice, then it is a no brainer imo.

Back