What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

All in one, who should CU hire thread...

Maybe not right now. But with Aliotti as HC it would be worth the risk. Especially, with Stitt having total control of the Offense.

Do any of those guys even know each other? What makes you think they would some how link up?

Last edited:
Is the San Jose State Coach even good?!!!!!!!!!!! I want someone GOOD!!!!!!!!!!

He just won 10 games at San Jose State. I'm not sure GOOD!!!!!!!!!!! even begins to describe that.

Has anybody mentioned Jim McElwain? I seem to remember Bohn liking him last time.... :smile2:

Do any of those guys even know each other? What makes you think they would some how link up?

Some of these suggestions make you laugh. You hire a good head coach and let him pick his assistants. You don't assemble it for them.

Calhoun would be a very good hire. But I don't see him leaving Airforce. Airforce right now is the better job. He already turned down the gig in 2009. We need to throw some money around and get a high profile coach that will help with recruiting, help us keep our current recruits. Make a splash.

His ass is on the line so I am just guessing that Bohn already has a pretty damn good idea who he wants and likely has a good feel if he can get him. The worst thing he could do to this program now is get publicly shot down by several big names. I don't think he would do that...... just my opinion but I really do think the next HC has likely already had some talks under the table with CU officials.

I read the list of names some of you have put together and it is kind of like a kids wish list that is sent to Santa Claus. It is fun to dream, but cold hard reality needs to be considered. With all due respect to my Colorado brethren, the CU job is not one that is going to attract an established big name. Poor facilities, fickle fan base, medicore pay and a (perceived) lack of support from the non-athletic side of the university make this a hard sell for a known big time coach.

I'll try to limit my comments to things I actually know something about. My background? I went to CU and moved here to Oklahoma for better work. This state has a great football tradition and living here like gridiron graduate school.

First off, Bobby Petrino is a scourge. He may win but the guy is a lying azz MF. He is a no go. The boosters have more integrity than to sign off on him.

I have some limited personal experience with all the college coaches here in Oklahoma. Mike Gundy is the coach you want your kids to play for. Same for Bill Blankenship at Tulsa. He is a breath of fresh air after Todd Graham. And don't dismiss the U of Tulsa. They punch far above their weight class and would flatten the Buffs right now. But, we digress. Some of you have mentioned Gus Malzahn at Ark State. He is an incredible coach and teacher. He has had success everywhere he has gone. He had a prolific offense as OC at Tulsa before going to Auburn to run their offense. And he, literally, wrote the book on the no-huddle hurry up offense. Look it up. http://www.amazon.com/Hurry-Up-No-Huddle-Offensive-Philosophy/dp/1585186546 He would be a great fit at CU. But, he wants to stay close to his family roots so I doubt he strays too far.

Can we kill the Dave Logan talk right now? I don't care if he has ties to the university. I don't care if he ran a great HS program. It isn't the same. Blankenship at Tulsa ran a perennial state contender 6A program (Union HS). After he left the HS ranks, he was a position coach, then coordinator for years before getting the college HC job. And the alum still complained that he didn't have "the experience". Winning cured those doubts. Logan needs to pay his dues before any major college team hires him as HC. Period. Being on the radio doesn't entitle you to shortcuts.

Troy Calhoun is a predictable name. He is close. He has had success at AF and in the NFL. But, is he a recruiter? The service academies don't pursue that facet of the college game like civilian universities do. They are a different animal. Recuriting is so very important and shouldn't be taken lightly. It is something akin to shaving. You have to do it everyday and can't do it poorly or it will show.

I hope the heck that Bohn is making this decision by himself. A committee will screw it up. That is how we got Jon Embree. He had university ties, was a minority and was affordable. To the non football people he looked like a great solution. But, I knew the day he was hired that he didn't have the skill level to head coach at the BCS level. It was a real disservice to him to throw him in at this level of competition with the special challenges that CU has. He is a good man and will land on his feet in a better place.

Keep in mind during this search that big names will be floated out to the media. That is purposeful. You have to keep the fan base thinking that the administration is also thinking big. And some of it is smokescreen. But, in the end we will get a non-BCS HC or a BCS OC/DC. And I don't care if they have ties to our school. I care that our new coach will return Buff football back to respectability.

Last edited:
I hope Mike Bohn has a plan. I expect the two names to come up quickly will be Mike Belotti and Troy Calhoun - those were Bohn's favorites last time around.

Wasn't the big problem here is that we needed a HC with HC experience as well as both OC and DC? Why hire an OC or DC with no head coaching experience? Don't get me wrong, some good coordinators out there but it seemed people here thought we needed a big name with experience at the BCS level who can attract recruits.

I hope Mike Bohn has a plan. I expect the two names to come up quickly will be Mike Belotti and Troy Calhoun - those were Bohn's favorites last time around.

I know I'm cynical, having been through this many times before. But there's no way either of those guys would come near this program. Belotti is only 61 but I doubt he has the stamina for this kind of rebuilding project. And I don't think Troy Calhoun is dumb enough to take this job.

Bohn has created a situation where he has no latitude to fail again. If DiStefano and Benson have the savvy they SHOULD have, they've likely told Bohn the score. If they don't get "help" for MB in making this hire, they need to be fired to. And by "help" I mean someone who basically does all the work and makes the recommendation. Chuck Neinas is probably still the guy they'll go to, despite the Hawkins flop.

They haveto hire a coach who knows how to win, how to recruit, how to rebuild, and who isn't afraid of the amateurs that are in the chain of command. There aren't many guys out there who can do that.

They damn well better be opening up the bank, otherwise it's a no hope situation.

Not going to state who I'd like...since I didn't do very well with Hawkins (thought he'd do ok when he got hired).

But, as a person who has lived in Eugene Oregon for the last 20 years...dump the Aliotti idea. He would be a disaster as a head coach. Awful choice.

I agree with those who say it would likely be best to get someone accustomed to total rebuilding jobs...since that's the challenge we are faced with. You just have to hope that whatever job they did in a lower conference (assuming that that's what we end up with) will transfer to a major like the Pac-12.

I read the list of names some of you have put together and it is kind of like a kids wish list that is sent to Santa Claus. It is fun to dream, but cold hard reality needs to be considered. With all due respect to my Colorado brethren, the CU job is not one that is going to attract an established big name. Poor facilities, fickle fan base, medicore pay and a (perceived) lack of support from the non-athletic side of the university make this a hard sell for a known big time coach.

I'll try to limit my comments to things I actually know something about. My background? I went to CU and moved here to Oklahoma for better work. This state has a great football tradition and living here like gridiron graduate school.

First off, Bobby Petrino is a scourge. He may win but the guy is a lying azz MF. He is a no go. The boosters have more integrity than to sign off on him.

I have some limited personal experience with all the college coaches here in Oklahoma. Mike Gundy is the coach you want your kids to play for. Same for Bill Blankenship at Tulsa. He is a breath of fresh air after Todd Graham. And don't dismiss the U of Tulsa. They punch far above their weight class and would flatten the Buffs right now. But, we digress. Some of you have mentioned Gus Malzahn at Ark State. He is an incredible coach and teacher. He has had success everywhere he has gone. He had a prolific offense as OC at Tulsa before going to Auburn to run their offense. And he, literally, wrote the book on the no-huddle hurry up offense. Look it up. http://www.amazon.com/Hurry-Up-No-Huddle-Offensive-Philosophy/dp/1585186546 He would be a great fit at CU. But, he wants to stay close to his family roots so I doubt he strays too far.

Can we kill the Dave Logan talk right now? I don't care if he has ties to the university. I don't care if he ran a great HS program. It isn't the same. Blankenship at Tulsa ran a perennial state contender 6A program (Union HS). After he left the HS ranks, he was a position coach, then coordinator for years before getting the college HC job. And the alum still complained that he didn't have "the experience". Winning cured those doubts. Logan needs to pay his dues before any major college team hires him as HC. Period. Being on the radio doesn't entitle you to shortcuts.

Troy Calhoun is a predictable name. He is close. He has had success at AF and in the NFL. But, is he a recruiter? The service academies don't pursue that facet of the college game like civilian universities do. They are a different animal. Recuriting is so very important and shouldn't be taken lightly. It is something akin to shaving. You have to do it everyday and can't do it poorly or it will show.

I hope the heck that Bohn is making this decision by himself. A committee will screw it up. That is how we got Jon Embree. He had university ties, was a minority and was affordable. To the non football people he looked like a great solution. But, I knew the day he was hired that he didn't have the skill level to head coach at the BCS level. It was a real disservice to him to throw him in at this level of competition with the special challenges that CU has. He is a good man and will land on his feet in a better place.

Keep in mind during this search that big names will be floated out to the media. That is purposeful. You have to keep the fan base thinking that the administration is also thinking big. And some of it is smokescreen. But, in the end we will get a non-BCS HC or a BCS OC/DC. And I don't care if they have ties to our school. I care that our new coach will return Buff football back to respectability.

This is spot on. The only factors that could change this in regards to a "big name" are if we have a solid 5-year plan for major facilities AND about $2M a year package for HC Next. We just fired the only guy who would work a job like this in the cheap without the resources to succeed.

In order of preference: Bob Diaco, Jim Tressel, Bobby Petrino. I think we need to make a big splash to show that we do, indeed take our football seriously and that we're willing to do what it takes to regain respectability. I have my doubts that we'll end up with any of these three. Wouldn't mind Charlie Strong or Sonny Dykes, either.

Ideally this is more of what I'd like to see also and I'd love to see any one of those first 3 you listed. It's been 7 straight losing seasons now and 2 head coaches who have failed miserably, it's time to get serious and make a splash.

Kirby Smart and his potential 3 BCS Championships

The big risk with Kirby Smart is the same as if you hire Helfrich: They both are coordinators who work for head coaches who "run that side of the ball". Kirby Smart has passion, can recruit, but is he the brains behind Alabama's defense? I doubt it. Saban is a defensive guy.

This risk factor is one that CU can't afford right now. They need a safe bet for this next hire. A guy who will get it right and fix the problems. Smart could be another disaster of a head coach like many successful coordinators before him. The fact that he may in fact not be much of a defensive coordinator is extremely risky.

I mentioned earlier in this thread Craig Bohl here is his coaching resume, Notice how they have moved up under his tenure in classification (see UNC) and he built them back and won a National Championship. they are odds on favorites to repeat this season, this would be the equal of Ohio St. hiring Tressell

coaching record
YearTeamOverallConferenceStandingBowl/playoffs
North Dakota State Bison (North Central Conference) (2003)
2003North Dakota State8–35–2T–2nd
North Dakota State Bison (Great West Conference) (2003–2007)
2004North Dakota State8–32–33rd
2005North Dakota State7–43–23rd
2006North Dakota State10–14–01st
2007North Dakota State10–13–12nd
North Dakota State Bison (Missouri Valley Football Conference) (2008–present)
2008North Dakota State6–54–4T–4th
2009North Dakota State3–82–67th
2010North Dakota State9–54–4T–3rdL NCAA Division I Quarterfinal
2011North Dakota State14–17–11stW NCAA Division I Championship
2012North Dakota State10–17–11stTBD
North Dakota State:85–3241–24
Total:85–32
National championship Conference title

Now he is a former Husker, but that matters little at this point, here is his coaching experience as well:

Born(1958-07-27) July 27, 1958 (age 54)
Lincoln, Nebraska
Playing career
1977–1980Nebraska
Position(s)Defensive back
Coaching career (HC unless noted)
1985–1986
1987–1988
1989–1993
1995–1999
2000–2002
2003–present
North Dakota State (DB)
Tulsa (LB)
Wisconsin (LB)
Rice (DC)
Duke (LB/DC)
Nebraska (LB)
Nebraska (DC)
North Dakota State
Head coaching record
Overall85–32
Tournaments6–1 (NCAA D-I playoffs)
Statistics
College Football Data Warehouse
Accomplishments and honors
Championships
1 NCAA Division I FCS National (2011)
Great

Helfrich never seemed like HC material to me. Some guys are destined to be coordinators.

I mentioned earlier in this thread Craig Bohl here is his coaching resume, Notice how they have moved up under his tenure in classification (see UNC) and he built them back and won a National Championship. they are odds on favorites to repeat this season, this would be the equal of Ohio St. hiring Tressell

coaching record
YearTeamOverallConferenceStandingBowl/playoffs
North Dakota State Bison (North Central Conference) (2003)
2003North Dakota State8–35–2T–2nd
North Dakota State Bison (Great West Conference) (2003–2007)
2004North Dakota State8–32–33rd
2005North Dakota State7–43–23rd
2006North Dakota State10–14–01st
2007North Dakota State10–13–12nd
North Dakota State Bison (Missouri Valley Football Conference) (2008–present)
2008North Dakota State6–54–4T–4th
2009North Dakota State3–82–67th
2010North Dakota State9–54–4T–3rdL NCAA Division I Quarterfinal
2011North Dakota State14–17–11stW NCAA Division I Championship
2012North Dakota State10–17–11stTBD
North Dakota State:85–3241–24
Total:85–32
National championship Conference title

Now he is a former Husker, but that matters little at this point, here is his coaching experience as well:

Born(1958-07-27) July 27, 1958 (age 54)
Lincoln, Nebraska
Playing career
1977–1980Nebraska
Position(s)Defensive back
Coaching career (HC unless noted)
1985–1986
1987–1988
1989–1993
1995–1999
2000–2002
2003–present
North Dakota State (DB)
Tulsa (LB)
Wisconsin (LB)
Rice (DC)
Duke (LB/DC)
Nebraska (LB)
Nebraska (DC)
North Dakota State
Head coaching record
Overall85–32
Tournaments6–1 (NCAA D-I playoffs)
Statistics
College Football Data Warehouse
Accomplishments and honors
Championships
1 NCAA Division I FCS National (2011)
Great

I'd tap the brakes on the Tressel comparison. Tressel coached in the state of Ohio for 19 years, including as an assistant at OSU (with a brief stop at Syracuse mixed in) before taking over as HC, so he was a known commodity there.

CU needs a coach that has experience building and maintaining a program. Where they see success on the field and in the classroom. I can't pretend to be up on current coaching candidates, but they need a coach that brings consistency and security. If you win, recruits will come. I went to a practice this year and I did not like what I saw, it was a disorganized mess. I am not surprised they made a change. But they need to make the right choice now, no more experiments.

CU needs a coach that has experience building and maintaining a program. Where they see success on the field and in the classroom. I can't pretend to be up on current coaching candidates, but they need a coach that brings consistency and security. If you win, recruits will come. I went to a practice this year and I did not like what I saw, it was a disorganized mess. I am not surprised they made a change. But they need to make the right choice now, no more experiments.
That's what I've heard multiple times. No wonder we never saw any improvement in the players...

Back