What's new
AllBuffs | Unofficial fan site for the University of Colorado at Boulder Athletics programs

This is a sample guest message. Register a free account today to become a member! Once signed in, you'll be able to participate on this site by adding your own topics and posts, as well as connect with other members through your own private inbox!

• Prime Time. Prime Time. Its a new era for Colorado football. Consider signing up for a club membership! For $20/year, you can get access to all the special features at Allbuffs, including club member only forums, dark mode, avatars and best of all no ads ! But seriously, please sign up so that we can pay the bills. No one earns money here, and we can use your $20 to keep this hellhole running. You can sign up for a club membership by navigating to your account in the upper right and clicking on "Account Upgrades". Make it happen!

All in one, who should CU hire thread...

Bohl was the DC at NU as well as stops at Wisc, Duke, Rice , and if NDSU wins its second NC this year I believe that equals The Vest at Youngstown

Last edited:
If Tedford is interested in the CU job, he may be a great choice. Not only for all the reasons discussed in this thread, but also because he has a lot of Cal's commits on speed dial including Jared Goff (4 star QB) in case we are in need of a QB.

In a perfect world, I'd like to see us pick up a defensive head coach and partner him with an innovative OC. I'm more concerned about the state of our defense going forward.

I think there are a few guys that would do well at CU. One of the first things I'd like to see is some toughness. For the love of God, please field a team that isn't toilet paper soft. I'll wait on W's if we could compete and see steady progress. Whoever it ends up being, please teach the team it's ok to punch back when you get hit in the mouth.

I think there are a few guys that would do well at CU. One of the first things I'd like to see is some toughness. For the love of God, please field a team that isn't toilet paper soft. I'll wait on W's if we could compete and see steady progress. Whoever it ends up being, please teach the team it's ok to punch back when you get hit in the mouth.

Or better yet, throw the first punch.

I want someone with clout. I want someone to come in Bzdelik-style and demand ground breaking on new facilities by a certain time. Best case scenario is every candidate comes in with that type of restriction. While it is important to hire the right coach, it is more important to get the foundation for success built.

I have got to believe that there is a more data-driven way to make this decision. I've also got to believe that guys that have chosen the path as coordinators at the BCS level have a different makeup than those who have chosen the HC at a small-time school path. Who's been more successful in aggregate recently?

Some of the best hires that I can think of recently for BCS programs:

Urban Meyer (BCS HC, mid-major HC prior)
Mark Richt (BCS OC)
Mike Gundy (incumbent BCS OC)
Les Miles (BCS HC, NFL position coach prior)
Nick Saban (BCS HC, mid-major HC prior)
Brian Kelly (BCS HC, mid-major HC prior)
Brady Hoke (might be a little early on this one, but mid-major HC)
Bo Pelini (UGH) (BCS DC)
Jim Tressel (small school HC)

Who else?

It seems that previous HC experience is a requirement for a national title, but not necessarily for a high level of success

I don't get the Troy Calhoun can't recruit bit. Yes, there is a difference in who AFA can recruit, but the guy has to go find his own talent within those bounds. In fact, he recruits on the order of 2X the guys each year that other NCAA schools recruit. Maybe 3X. His pitch is different. But in the end, he's talking to guys about coming to play for him rather than going to play for Army or Navy, or Temple, or Toledo or whatever. It's still recruiting.

With that said, I'm not on the Troy Calhoun bandwagon.

For people considering hiring successful service academy coaches to BCS schools, see Johnson, Paul.

The more I read about Tedford - the more I like !! Read his bio... Knows the recruiting area, knows the conference. Great QB coach (look at the qb's he has coached) look at the no-name running backs that have produced BIG yards (1,000+) yearly... great offensive #'s at every stop he has made. He can build a program from scratch... Get him and a great defensive coordinator and CU will be great... maybe Tedford HC and qb coach with Pat Hill as DC... already in on recruits to bring here

Last edited:
That's what I've heard multiple times. No wonder we never saw any improvement in the players...

I don't want to get off topic. But it makes sense. Usually first time coaches get promoted from a coordinator position. They are involved in the day to day running of a program. From grades to practice to discipline, they help maintain the program. Embree was a TE's coach at Washington. It was too lofty a promotion. Combine that with coordinators new to the job as well. It makes sense why it didn't work.

I was hoping for Embree to work and wanted him for anther year, until I watched that practice. There are so many elements to manage in a college program, you need to be very organized. Football is a structured game, you need discipline and order on the practice field. You play how you practice. And now the other rumors, there was division between hawks recruits and Embree's. which is common, but it stomped out immediately when it ignites. Anyway, it's done. Time to look to the future and the next coach.

I also got a look at some inner workings. They were recruiting my father's partner's son. Everything just seemed... Well my original description of disorganized fits best. Especially when compared to the programs at some of the other schools recruiting him. Embree is a great guy though, but this was too early for him. He should have gotten back into college ball as a coordinator.

Last edited:
The more I read about Tedford - the more I like !! Read his bio... Knows the recruiting area, knows the conference. Great QB coach (look at the qb's he has coached) look at the no-name running backs that have produced BIG yards (1,000+) yearly... great offensive #'s at every stop he has made. He can build a program from scratch... Get him and a great defensive coordinator and CU will be great... maybe Tedford HC and qb coach with Pat Hill as DC... already in on recruits to bring here

I was reading his bio, and came across the part that said some school (in our conference, no less) was given the choice of paying 7 million bucks, or keeping Teford as their head coach and--when faced with those options--forked out the money.

Before we hired Embree, I was saying that we needed to go to the spread offense and now Embree was talking about that before he got fired. We still need to go to the spread offense...that offense gives less talented teams better chances of winning ballgames. I don't think we can go back to having pro style offenses this time around.

Sonny Dykes comes to mind but I don't think he is the kind of hire that Bohn might want to make but at least he has coordinator exprience plus that coaching exprience. That should be the way to go since we are playing in more warm weather locations unlike the old Big 12 North. It's time for a clean break from our days in the old Big 8 and Big 12 and it's unfortuante that we have reached this point with the firing of Embree.

LT's 2012 season results: http://espn.go.com/college-football/team/schedule/_/id/2348/louisiana-tech-bulldogs

Notice that the losses were to good teams such as Texas A&M, Utah State, and San Jose State. Three ten win teams and those games came down to the wire. I know it's the WAC but they still beat Illinois and Virgina on the road. If the Bulldogs were 12-0, they would be in a BCS bowl game no questions asked.

If we're talking Calhoun, what about the head coach at Navy? He's got a good track record, been a head coach for five or six years, plus he's Polynesian from Hawaii, and the talent there likes to play in the PAC-12. He seems ready for a step up.

Wondering why Todd Grantham's name isn't coming up? Is there a knock against this guy? Seems like he has successfully moved through the coaching ranks and has experience in the college and pro games. Other than the "I hate the SEC' argument, any reason why he shouldn't get a serious look?

Why are you against him returning to Colorado? I sort of hope he takes the Colorado job so the ducks don't make the mistake of making him the next HC.

That's a great sales pitch!

I actually think Helfrich should be in the conversation. As soon as he left, Hawkins' teams went downhill, and he did much more offensively with not much more if any talent than they had on offense this year.

Plus, spending 4yrs under the most innovate offensive mind in CFB can't be a bad thing.

I like the idea of Dave Doeren from NIU as HC with Stitt from Mines as OC...I think that'd be a pretty solid combo...

More a list of please not this guy for me.

No Petrino - he is a wanton buffoon. We would win with him but he wouldn't be the least bit loyal and we'd be right back to a scandal of some sort with this one.

No Tressel - His controversy is something we don't need here.

No Calhoun - Has more to prove at this point to me.

No Gruden - I question his personality where mentoring kids is concerned.

I want Tad Boyle - Seriously we need someone like Tad - Intense, dedicated, professional. A guy who can really lead and inspire. Someone who is loyal and will bring some stability like Tad has brought to the basketball program. Someone who will also make us a top 20 defensive team again. I'm really hungry to see the Buffs play some good defense again.

What his name turns out to be doesn't matter to me I just want someone like Tad for the football team. I would feel like we are in good hands with a guy like him.

Back